Soldier on Tower of London patrol filmed knocking over child

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Soldier on Tower of London patrol filmed knocking over child

Post by Chuck Borris »

Clowns.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Looks like he deliberately steps to the right to knock the kid over...
Just because they are "trained" doesn't mean that they can't also be an asshole...
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Grand Barong wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:03 pm Looks like he deliberately steps to the right to knock the kid over...
Just because they are "trained" doesn't mean that they can't also be an asshole...
I’m not sure about that- it’s very subjective on my part, but it looks as though the step right was avoiding action which failed utterly as the kid’s own delayed response to potentially being mown down actually put him back in the path of the guard.
Rather like that pheasant that narrowly escaped living by darting back in front of your car.

There’s been a few videos over the years of tourists deliberately, or simply by virtue of having left their wits at home, coming into conflict.

The guard ceremony in the states has many similar things.

Despite the potential for negative publicity, I feel that no matter what mitigation’s the palace guard might come up with, short of keeping tourists completely out, tourists will still manage to get in the wrong place at just the wrong moment.

As a lesson in self preservation, though, the kid has been given a practical demonstration about keeping his eyes and ears open. Maybe he’ll survive crossing roads by himself.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Stupid parents
Stupid guard
The hat is ridiculously too large for one's brain choosing to shout and stomp over a kid, instead of shaming the parents.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Freightdog wrote:
Grand Barong wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:03 pm Looks like he deliberately steps to the right to knock the kid over...
I’m not sure about that- it’s very subjective on my part, but it looks as though the step right was avoiding action which failed utterly as the kid’s own delayed response to potentially being mown down actually put him back in the path of the guard.
Rather like that pheasant that narrowly escaped living by darting back in front of your car.

There’s been a few videos over the years of tourists deliberately, or simply by virtue of having left their wits at home, coming into conflict.

The guard ceremony in the states has many similar things.

Despite the potential for negative publicity, I feel that no matter what mitigation’s the palace guard might come up with, short of keeping tourists completely out, tourists will still manage to get in the wrong place at just the wrong moment.

As a lesson in self preservation, though, the kid has been given a practical demonstration about keeping his eyes and ears open. Maybe he’ll survive crossing roads by himself.
I've performed guard duty like this beforeat two locations in my home country. Tons of tourists snapping pictures as you stare into nothing, or videos are you march and 99% are fine, but a few get in your way and you just keep marching. What if someone got in the way at the Eternal Flame in Moscow or the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington? Truth be told, in these ceremonial guard spots, there are typically two (at a minimum) other soldiers besides the sentries (not in full dress) to warn people about the guards' approaching/path, chat with tourists, give information, and so forth. Basically they're there to guard the guards and stop people from being idiots. I've never been to London, but my guess is that it's the same, so it's technically their fuckup. The sentries keeps marching. In this case it seems to me that the kid was testing them, but perhaps he (or more likely his parents) had zero situational awareness. Hard to tell. The guard could have marched around him I guess and kept his step, but they're not there to do that and tourists know it. GET.OUT.OF.THE.WAY.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

As the guards pass the camera, it’s difficult to tell, exactly, but as they (overcome the obstacle), they are slightly apart, but close up again as they continue. I think the guards did make some space, but the slow kid just didn’t move in time. (Or just as likely at the wrong time)

It’s typical kid behaviour- the number of times that I’ve grabbed one or other of ours by the scruff of the neck as they suddenly wander into the path of a tuk tuk, bike or just about any other person.

My sympathy isn’t with the guards so much as I’ve no sympathy for those spectators. There are a great many people who think the guards and ceremonies are there for the tourists, and fail to appreciate that the tourists are there because of the guards and the ceremony.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic