Honda the test journey

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Honda the test journey

Post by Chad Sexington »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:36 am
Chad Sexington wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:31 pm
AndyKK wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:06 pm
atst wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:18 am You should have got a rack built on the back to put your bags much more comfortable ride and I'd say a little safer
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:51 am a suggestion, Less writing , more pics :-)

Spend some money and get a set of real panniers for either side of the back wheel
Let's have a recap of the situation -
how it was and still is to be perfectly honest.

I had done, although being some time ago, and following your advices, trying that of bike panniers. Something I once used years ago on the bikes in my own country.
on thinking about the luggage situation, I actually thought I would do something quite different, having plenty of time on my hands, and more to the point, it keeps me occupied. I only have a little work to do, that involves making the tow bracelet on the 400 motorcycle. I have made two trailers, the first being the actual prototype build, and the test item. The design is single wheel all terrain trailer, with having thoughts for those long red dirt roads in the northern parts of the country, or just simply the rough road surfaces we tend to have here. I think also with the use of the trailer it keeps the luggage from actually cluttering the bike.
So, after final testing with the Honda MSX I am satisfied with the overall results. But I don't know of the legal situation.

I’m not sure if a single wheel will work for an all terrain trailer? Im skeptical about the connection between the trailer (hitch?) and the assembly on the back of the bike frame. From your photos it looks as if you have an eyebolt fastened through both with locked nuts, to form a pivot, allowing clearance enough for the connection to swing laterally (side to side), which is probably fine going on nice flat paved roads, but what happens when you begin an uphill ascent, or crest a hill, or are riding into and out of the potholes you are sure to encounter?
Your hitch appears to only articulate in the one orientation but there is going to be up and down torsion on the hitch which is going to stress the connection (the rear suspension and shock on the trailer will absorb a little, but not all of that torsion)
In addition, a single wheel trailer is never going to be perfectly balanced and will want to lean to one side, and when you change direction/corner there will be even more lateral force from the trailers high centre of gravity (in relation to to hitch and wheel hub) transferred to the hitch and in time those torsion/twisting forces will cause something to fail (if the eyebolt doesn’t shear off, the SHS/box section or the bracket on the bike frame will fracture)
Edit, just spotted the second (horizontal) pivot point which would eliminate the up and down torsion :facepalm: ,however, the lateral forces would still be an issue.
That was the most difficult challenge of the build for me, the connection too the trailer, but I assure you that the connection moves freely in all directions.
And here is something to ease your doubt of a single wheel.
Im slightly more convinced having watched the video, but I still think your single (30 x 30mm?) box section from the trailer to the bike will be an issue, a pair of box sections with a yoke would hold up way better against the twisting forces.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:57 am
AndyKK wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:36 am
Chad Sexington wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:31 pm
AndyKK wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:06 pm
atst wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:18 am You should have got a rack built on the back to put your bags much more comfortable ride and I'd say a little safer
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:51 am a suggestion, Less writing , more pics :-)

Spend some money and get a set of real panniers for either side of the back wheel
Let's have a recap of the situation -
how it was and still is to be perfectly honest.

I had done, although being some time ago, and following your advices, trying that of bike panniers. Something I once used years ago on the bikes in my own country.
on thinking about the luggage situation, I actually thought I would do something quite different, having plenty of time on my hands, and more to the point, it keeps me occupied. I only have a little work to do, that involves making the tow bracelet on the 400 motorcycle. I have made two trailers, the first being the actual prototype build, and the test item. The design is single wheel all terrain trailer, with having thoughts for those long red dirt roads in the northern parts of the country, or just simply the rough road surfaces we tend to have here. I think also with the use of the trailer it keeps the luggage from actually cluttering the bike.
So, after final testing with the Honda MSX I am satisfied with the overall results. But I don't know of the legal situation.

I’m not sure if a single wheel will work for an all terrain trailer? Im skeptical about the connection between the trailer (hitch?) and the assembly on the back of the bike frame. From your photos it looks as if you have an eyebolt fastened through both with locked nuts, to form a pivot, allowing clearance enough for the connection to swing laterally (side to side), which is probably fine going on nice flat paved roads, but what happens when you begin an uphill ascent, or crest a hill, or are riding into and out of the potholes you are sure to encounter?
Your hitch appears to only articulate in the one orientation but there is going to be up and down torsion on the hitch which is going to stress the connection (the rear suspension and shock on the trailer will absorb a little, but not all of that torsion)
In addition, a single wheel trailer is never going to be perfectly balanced and will want to lean to one side, and when you change direction/corner there will be even more lateral force from the trailers high centre of gravity (in relation to to hitch and wheel hub) transferred to the hitch and in time those torsion/twisting forces will cause something to fail (if the eyebolt doesn’t shear off, the SHS/box section or the bracket on the bike frame will fracture)
Edit, just spotted the second (horizontal) pivot point which would eliminate the up and down torsion :facepalm: ,however, the lateral forces would still be an issue.
That was the most difficult challenge of the build for me, the connection too the trailer, but I assure you that the connection moves freely in all directions.
And here is something to ease your doubt of a single wheel.
Im slightly more convinced having watched the video, but I still think your single (30 x 30mm?) box section from the trailer to the bike will be an issue, a pair of box sections with a yoke would hold up way better against the twisting forces.
I totally agree with you Chad Sexington a yoke would have been a good way, and I have seen it done before like so. It was the major problem to overcome, the cupelling/joint had to move in all directions, up and down and left and right, also on the tilt, but not too easily on that, or the trailer would easily lay on its side. The steel is 45 x 30mm box section, it equals the swinging arm of the bike, I ended up with leaving a flat side where the axle bolt now passes through, and two bolts further forward to also give a good anchor. Its purpose was to carry only luggage such has spare clothes instead of the idea of saddlebags. I had tested it with luggage loads, and if, for example to put on a large blue water bottle, the trailer would tip.
Like I have mentioned, this is not something I have done before, and for example on the next project "sidecar" there's two movable joint's I need to somehow make, any advice of your skills in this field would be more than welcome Chad Sexington.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

FWIW, I reckon a hybrid of your trailer and that shown in the attached video would be most functional and robust.
The front end attachment to the bike in the video, with the shorter, more braced hitch (keeping the load carried as close to the bike as possible) would better withstand the twisting (lying down) forces, combined with your shock absorber fitted rear end arrangement, though I would go for a larger diameter wheel (the shock absorber would require adjusting to maintain the same low trailer body position)
The larger wheel would have three advantages, the first being to facilitate easier/smoother mounting of rocks/curbs etc. the second would be the shifting/lowering of the load centre of gravity in relation to the wheel hub, which would reduce the trailers inclination to want to lie down sideways, which would lead to the third, the ability carry a heavier load as the ‘top heaviness’ would be reduced.
The trailer forks on the video are clearly flexing with every bump and dip, and in time the stresses from that flexing will cause the forks to fracture.
Regarding the legality of such a trailer here, in theory it’s the same as any of the trailers you see being towed behind every third Moto in Cambodia, but there’s always the chance of a cop seeing the opportunity to ‘tax’ a barang.
One other thing, I’d advise making your trailer a bit more high visibility, other road users might not be expecting a trailer attached to a decent bike, and it’d be a disaster if someone tries to cut in/across behind you and wipes out all that good work, or worse.
Keep us up to date regarding your trip 👍
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:39 am FWIW, I reckon a hybrid of your trailer and that shown in the attached video would be most functional and robust.
The front end attachment to the bike in the video, with the shorter, more braced hitch (keeping the load carried as close to the bike as possible) would better withstand the twisting (lying down) forces, combined with your shock absorber fitted rear end arrangement, though I would go for a larger diameter wheel (the shock absorber would require adjusting to maintain the same low trailer body position)
The larger wheel would have three advantages, the first being to facilitate easier/smoother mounting of rocks/curbs etc. the second would be the shifting/lowering of the load centre of gravity in relation to the wheel hub, which would reduce the trailers inclination to want to lie down sideways, which would lead to the third, the ability carry a heavier load as the ‘top heaviness’ would be reduced.
The trailer forks on the video are clearly flexing with every bump and dip, and in time the stresses from that flexing will cause the forks to fracture.
Regarding the legality of such a trailer here, in theory it’s the same as any of the trailers you see being towed behind every third Moto in Cambodia, but there’s always the chance of a cop seeing the opportunity to ‘tax’ a barang.
One other thing, I’d advise making your trailer a bit more high visibility, other road users might not be expecting a trailer attached to a decent bike, and it’d be a disaster if someone tries to cut in/across behind you and wipes out all that good work, or worse.
Keep us up to date regarding your trip 👍
Again, you have hit on the points that I possibly struggled with, I have actually shortened the trailer length since it flexed carrying the blue water bottle, on a slow right turn the trailer did flex enough to dispose the bottle from the trailer, but I am not overly worried about that because the load was well overweight to what I intend to carry, although it would be good to know what weight it will handle.
I am kicking myself, due to when I took JB`s advice where to look for wheels, the people actually offered me the full bike, that would have been a better idea, because of the steering stem.
Visibility of the trailer! It does have a LED flickering rear light, different mode settings, also the steel down the sides has reflective strips.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic