Cambodian Harvests Flies to Make Protein Feed

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian Harvests Flies to Make Protein Feed

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A Cambodian Farmer Harvests Flies to Feed Animals
AKP Phnom Penh, October 08, 2020 --
A Cambodian man is making a history for the country by harvesting the so-called black soldier flies as food for his animal farm.

The black soldier flies can transform organic or kitchen waste into protein for both humans and animals, the fly harvester Mr. Sao Sensamnang told AKP.

“I raise the flies for their larva to feed my animals, but I have not yet harvested them for human’s food, providing calcium to build our bones and make them healthy, and antiviral proteins,” he explained.

Mr. Sao Sensamnang, with the support from his brother, started his fly harvesting farm in 2007, following his research and exposures both within Cambodia and overseas.

“I was trying to explore alternatives that allow me to raise my fish and poultries more profitably, and the larva of the black soldier flies (BSF) stands as the best option.”

According to Mr. Sensamnang, 100 grammes of BSF eggs will provide between 100 to 200 kilogrammes of the larva.

“Harvesting the flies takes less time, is easy and does not cost much because they eat only kitchen waste, thus it is efficient and contributes to a clean environment,” he added.

The young entrepreneur encouraged farmers of fish, poultries and other animals to try with the harvesting of the black soldier files, and he is ready to share with them the knowledge and skill to do it.
Photo: Phen Rattanak
Article in Khmer by Heng Panha
Article in English by Lim Nary

- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cambodian Harvests Flies to Make Protein Feed

Post by techietraveller84 »

What a fresh idea for a business! I had to Google it and sure enough found a website for a farm that is in that same business (maybe the same outfit?). Evolo Farm.
https://evolofarm.wixsite.com/home
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

There is a downside to farming flies. Locals have been complaining about the smell, but hopefully this problem has now been resolved satisfactorily.

Residents complain about stench from fly larvae farm
Orm Bunthoeurn | Publication date 16 February 2021 | 21:38 ICT
Residents of the capital’s Meanchey village living near the Black Soldier Fly (BSF) Farm have complained of a persistent, intolerable stench, prompting authorities to intervene.

The farm, located in Meanchey district’s Stung Meanchey I commune, cultivates fly larvae for animal feed. Local residents said the situation began to improve following mediating from commune officials.

Meng Chou, a grocery seller near the farm, said the smell had diminished for the past half month.

“Now, it’s better. Previously, the stench was all over the village. I could not sleep, and everyone needed to cover their noses. I had a headache everyday because of the bad smell. Now, maybe they have some technique to reduce the smell – I don’t know,” she said.

Song Kheng, another nearby resident, said there had been a bad smell every day, but after neighbours complained repeatedly, officials came to the farm and issued instructions to the owner.

“It was a terrible smell, making it difficult for us to live, so we told the farm owner about it. Since authorities inspected the farm, it’s gotten better. The smell travels on the wind. Depending on which direction it blows, the people in that direction will get a stronger smell,” she said.

Local resident Ra Sieng said the smell had not caused major health impacts, but it had made living in the area unpleasant and difficult while the flies caused a nuisance.

“It stinks, and there are flies – it’s nearly unbearable. I kept shouting that it smelled bad. It doesn’t seem to cause any serious disease – it just smells very sour day and night, and we find it difficult to endure. But the last few days have been better,” Sieng said.

Tim Rath, a technician at the BSF Farm, said that raising flies does not harm the environment. On the contrary, it is helpful because flies improve the disposal of perishable waste like organic materials.

“In environmental terms, it helps reduce waste. The downside is the bad smell. As we collect and store vegetable and fruit waste, it produces an odour as it decomposes. But when we process it into our raw materials, there is no longer a problem with the smell,” said Rath.

He said raising flies is very useful for farmers, especially for those raising animals who need livestock feed. The farm’s products are good for feeding chickens, ducks, edible-nest swiftlets and all kinds of fish.

He said flies and larvae are high in protein, which helps animals grow faster, keeps their skin shiny, strengthens their bones and makes them resistant to disease.

“We produce black soldier flies. It is a protein fly and does not harm human health. The larvae we raise are for animal feed, and the waste they leave makes good compost soil,” he said.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... arvae-farm
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Authorities Close Worm and Fly Cultivation Business in Stung Meanchey 1
Cambodia News (Phnom Penh) On the morning of 28 December 2021, authorities from the Ministry of Environment closed the business of raising worms and flies in Meanchey village, Sangkat Steung Meanchey I, Khan Meanchey, Phnom Penh.

Authorities are investigating the business for crimes of environmental pollution (water quality, air quality, and smells) and the impact of the business on the health of local people. Neighbors had been complaining about the smell for sometime, and it is said that the cultivation of worms and flies causes harm to the environment, due to the rot and stench from the food waste necessary to feed the flies and worms, affecting living conditions and human health in the area.
ImageImageImage

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »