Shipping car from Thailand to Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Shipping car from Thailand to Cambodia?

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Has anyone had any experience in shipping a car from Thailand to Cambodia I’ve fallen in love with a car for sale in Bangkok and want / need to ship it to KOW any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kck
Tourist
Hong Kong

Re: Shopping car from Thailand to Cambodia?

Post by Kck »

A senior official at the Council of Ministers warned owners of right-hand drive vehicles that they must change their vehicles over to left-hand drive by June, 2022, or risk having them seized and destroyed. He also noted that beginning in 2021 all privately owned vehicles with state license plates must pay taxes.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... -june-2022
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Don't do it, I tried and gave up after how much of a headache and cost it would be.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

up thru 2019 i would often drive my Thai licensed car across into Cambodia, been doing that since 2008. ( once had it for 8 months in country) always took the front plate off.
was stopped a few times, was fined a few times.
importing legally would cost ya an arm and a leg and not worth it.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I’d be interested (slightly) to know what car you’ve fallen in love with. Is it a Jaguar? (Ruinous unreliable pieces of turd) or an old Ford?

As has been stated it’s not possible to import Thai cars now, temp yes but then you’d need the borders open and go through all the rigmarole needed etc.

Know a guy who was stopped by cops in Kampot recently and he drives a French registered car (plates removed, he got it cheap). They said he has to have local plates on or the import papers or they will confiscate it and crush it. No questions.
They let him go but now he’s severely restricted where he goes now.
People of the world, spice up your life.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Shipping car from Thailand to Cambodia?

Post by AndyKK »

Some years ago, I bought a Thai import, but here in Cambodia, it was unfortunate it was left has a right-hand drive, I never had a problem with the police, but driving on Cambodian roads you need all the help you can get, unfortunately driving in a blind spot at times doesn't help. Even so the Hilux I bought in Battambang was a fraction of the price of an imported left-hand drive.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

There’s been a small flurry of right hand drive cars appear on the market recently. Some with deluded ideas of price, some fairly good cars that have been owned and cared for, and largely I abused by some local weird ideas, and some that are being sold cheaper than would a left hand drive- I presume in an effort not to be left with what is otherwise a pile of spare parts with no intrinsic value.

Having talked to CNM about the ramifications of right hand drive cars that were previously legally registered, it would seem that this is still something of a grey area.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:47 pm There’s been a small flurry of right hand drive cars appear on the market recently. Some with deluded ideas of price, some fairly good cars that have been owned and cared for, and largely I abused by some local weird ideas, and some that are being sold cheaper than would a left hand drive- I presume in an effort not to be left with what is otherwise a pile of spare parts with no intrinsic value.

Having talked to CNM about the ramifications of right hand drive cars that were previously legally registered, it would seem that this is still something of a grey area.
The reports I’ve read is all RHD vehicles will be taken off the road mid 22.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic