Weight Loss

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Weight Loss

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

hanno wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:50 pm As usual, I'll certainly lose some weight over the holidays. No feasting, 16+ hour days, shitloads of work. But the weekend after NYE will be an eat and drink as much as I can affair.
Ha!! I read - "I'll certainly lose some weight over the holidays. No fisting 16+ hour days, shitloads of work.

Well, that'll be beer o'clock.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

I lost 10kg since August. Intermittent fasting and gym. Never easier.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Can't be arsed to read the whole thread but weight loss is the simplest, most basic maths problem to be solved in the entire universe. It all comes down to energy. More specifically the ratio of energy put into a system in relatio to the energy output of a system.

> energy put in with < energy used = (results in) stored fat

<energy put in > energy used = (results in) weight loss.

=energy put in = energy used = (results in) no change.

It's really quite simple. If you find yourself gaining weight, your intake of calories are not equal to calories expended. You need to either intake less calories or burn more.

The human body is very forgiving, and the occasional diet, gym session or gorging on food will make little difference. What the human body is looking for is consistency over a long period of time. Be it gaining or losing weight.

Consistency is the key.

That, in a nutshell, will save most of you hundreds or thousands on personal trainers.

You're welcome.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

xandreu wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:40 pm Can't be arsed to read the whole thread but weight loss is the simplest, most basic maths problem to be solved in the entire universe. It all comes down to energy. More specifically the ratio of energy put into a system in relatio to the energy output of a system.

> energy put in with < energy used = (results in) stored fat

<energy put in > energy used = (results in) weight loss.

=energy put in = energy used = (results in) no change.

It's really quite simple. If you find yourself gaining weight, your intake of calories are not equal to calories expended. You need to either intake less calories or burn more.

The human body is very forgiving, and the occasional diet, gym session or gorging on food will make little difference. What the human body is looking for is consistency over a long period of time. Be it gaining or losing weight.

Consistency is the key.

That, in a nutshell, will save most of you hundreds or thousands on personal trainers.

You're welcome.
You write well on the subject. Personally I have been lucky in ways to keep at a constant weight, but that's mainly due to keeping active over the years.
Now in Cambodia, and it was only the other day I was actually thinking about it! A thread about the cost of living, and have prices rose with the effects brought by the pandemic. I previously had said "no", but I want to say "yes", but I don't believe it's down to the pandemic, but down to people cutting corners and not offering any value too there customer's but just lining that of their own pockets. So, you can look at it like concerns, (but not worry), but getting less let's say for the same old price, that's now causing me weight loss.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

People shouldn't focus on weight, but what they see in the mirror. If you're not happy, do something about it - but don't read the scales. People often talk about losing weight, but actually they can change their body composition by burning fat & building muscle* and look great even when heavier than before. If you set the target just to lose weight, you go off on a tangent on weird diets and starvation, etc to get it off at all costs. If you have the same weight in muscle, or more, you will look amazing - and more muscle mass puts more calorie demands on the body, you get into a positive cycle that keeps the fat off, rather than a destructive one of less muscle, less calorie demand & the body going into panic mode storing (as fat) anything you eat.

Roughly.

* ladies, you won't ever turn into Arnold Scwarzenegger by going to the gym & lifting weights. You naturally have more body fat than men that keeps you curvy looking, not like some vein bulging roided up Jock.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

I've rarely used a weighing scale to judge my fitness. Guys here may relate - I just check if there's a clear line of sight, neck straight, just eyeballs rolled down, to my junk.

If I can't see it, I'm overweight. Time to cut beer, reduce time between meals and sometimes, go vegetarian for a few months. Has worked for me for years. That's my guague... the height of the obstruction in my line of sight. I'm not looking for muscles. Just don't want a belly.... that's my system. Keep my body fat down.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

ofparadise wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:22 am I've rarely used a weighing scale to judge my fitness. Guys here may relate - I just check if there's a clear line of sight, neck straight, just eyeballs rolled down, to my junk.

If I can't see it, I'm overweight. Time to cut beer, reduce time between meals and sometimes, go vegetarian for a few months. Has worked for me for years. That's my guague... the height of the obstruction in my line of sight. I'm not looking for muscles. Just don't want a belly.... that's my system. Keep my body fat down.
I used to think like that, but now I've adopted a different line of thought that is the belly is strength!
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic