Thief Sells Off Rented Cows for a New House and a Party

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thief Sells Off Rented Cows for a New House and a Party

Post by Kammekor »

ofparadise wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:14 am Just asking... how much does it cost to take care of a milk cow?

Personally I have no clue on this topic.

Cats and Dogs I can deal with, but the logistics of caring for a cow is beyond my scope.
Generally when cows are rented out it's not for the milk, it's the calf they're after. The first calf will be owned by the caretaker, the second by the owner of the cows, the third.... Rinse and repeat. In the mean time the caretaker can make some extra money by putting the cows to use for same labor.
Hardly a very profitable business, but popular in the boonies because people move to the city for work and need someone to take care of their life stock.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ofparadise wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:16 pm How do you build a house for $4000 odd dollars? I might be getting overcharged.

Maybe you're just living in another world?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

ofparadise wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:14 am Just asking... how much does it cost to take care of a milk cow?

Cats and Dogs I can deal with, but the logistics of caring for a cow is beyond my scope.

If a person were to rent a cow or 2, what would they need to prepare? How do they ensure the milk production levels stay consistent?

The reason I'm asking is partly curiosity, and also practical. My family consumes a lot of milk and cheese.

I know a few other families that also go through 4 to 5 liters a day like us. And I was thinking, what if we hired a cow, and took care of it as a collective and distribute the milk evenly... would be interesting for the kids as well.

Where do you even hire a shepherd to take care of the cow?

Just thinking out loud.
Cambodian cows aren't kept for milking.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron »

He must have read about the scam in Europe, especially Germany, where fraudsters lease luxury cars legally and then sell them at a deep discount with stolen and forged documents.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

ofparadise wrote:Just asking... how much does it cost to take care of a milk cow?

If a person were to rent a cow or 2, what would they need to prepare? How do they ensure the milk production levels stay consistent?

The reason I'm asking is partly curiosity, and also practical. My family consumes a lot of milk and cheese.

I know a few other families that also go through 4 to 5 liters a day like us. And I was thinking, what if we hired a cow, and took care of it as a collective and distribute the milk evenly... would be interesting for the kids as well.

Where do you even hire a shepherd to take care of the cow?

Just thinking out loud.
As mentioned, none of these cows are dairy cows. Just raised for the meat, and only very occasionally now, as work animals.

[Oops, just realized I'm like the fifth person to mention it]
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

Hahaha... thanks :( My cow knowledge is even worse than I thought.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

whats the going price for a calf? any difference if female/male?
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic