Pathogens and Politics: Further Evidence That Parasite Prevalence Predicts Authoritarianism

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Pathogens and Politics: Further Evidence That Parasite Prevalence Predicts Authoritarianism

Post by Jerry Atrick »

According to a "parasite stress" hypothesis, authoritarian governments are more likely to emerge in regions characterized by a high prevalence of disease-causing pathogens. Recent cross-national evidence is consistent with this hypothesis, but there are inferential limitations associated with that evidence. We report two studies that address some of these limitations, and provide further tests of the hypothesis. Study 1 revealed that parasite prevalence strongly predicted cross-national differences on measures assessing individuals' authoritarian personalities, and this effect statistically mediated the relationship between parasite prevalence and authoritarian governance. The mediation result is inconsistent with an alternative explanation for previous findings. To address further limitations associated with cross-national comparisons, Study 2 tested the parasite stress hypothesis on a sample of traditional small-scale societies (the Standard Cross-Cultural Sample). Results revealed that parasite prevalence predicted measures of authoritarian governance, and did so even when statistically controlling for other threats to human welfare. (One additional threat—famine—also uniquely predicted authoritarianism.) Together, these results further substantiate the parasite stress hypothesis of authoritarianism, and suggest that societal differences in authoritarian governance result, in part, from cultural differences in individuals' authoritarian personalities.
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0062275 -full work on link, above is just preview

Food for thought, given the way some global leaders are behaving, a good read
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Pathogens and Politics: Further Evidence That Parasite Prevalence Predicts Authoritarianism

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Thanks Jerry, i haven't read it yet but i will. I can see the possible link for sure.

To widen the general concept a little, just to back it up
I reckon that is similar to what we are seeing with Covid - and all the other new species-crossing viruses, bacteria, parasites etc that we are bumping into now - basically as a result of our exploding plague of population V. the natural world in it's death throws.

Those stresses on the planet caused by our exploding population brings forth the diseases. Out of their natural crannies.
In turn, the stresses of the disease on us, combined with our existing big stress, can easily turn us toward authoritarianism.

I think we have seen that dynamic play out in various ways with Covid.
Fortunately that tendency has mostly been overcome in most countries. But the tendency is there - stemming from fear, the need for security. And that presents opportunities for the Meglo's to step in.

nb, I certainly don't see good, firm public health measures as authoritarianism.
that is Democracy in action, in this part of the world anyway.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Pathogens and Politics: Further Evidence That Parasite Prevalence Predicts Authoritarianism

Post by Jerry Atrick »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:42 pm Thanks Jerry, i haven't read it yet but i will. I can see the possible link for sure.

nb, I certainly don't see good, firm public health measures as authoritarianism.
that is Democracy in action, in this part of the world anyway.

First thing that came to my mind was what took place in Europe in the decades following the Spanish Flu ravaging the world on a mortality scale that makes covid look like heavy cold, statistically
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The Black Death, although at first a bit depressing for many, ushered in a period of great calm and creativity. 😆😆
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic