Going postal?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Going postal?

Post by hdgh29 »

I want something small, of minimal value, sent to me from NZ. The courier cost would be about $120, and its not worth that. If I get it posted to me, do I have it sent to my address, or to the Post Office for me to collect?
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Going postal?

Post by Kammekor »

hdgh29 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:41 am I want something small, of minimal value
Can you afford to lose it?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hdgh29 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:41 am I want something small, of minimal value, sent to me from NZ. The courier cost would be about $120, and its not worth that. If I get it posted to me, do I have it sent to my address, or to the Post Office for me to collect?
Send to yourself, at your home address, but it will only get as far as the post office. Make sure your local mobile number is written on the outside of the package in several places. It will get there, eventually, and they will call you.

Under $50 there is no duty. When you go and collect it they will ask and might want to have a look inside. If you are in Phnom Penh and it goes to the Post Office at 102, you will experience an organisation right out of the 1970's, it's quite an experience.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Some months ago, I got a small item sent to me from China. It went via Singapore post with tracking but post office delivery not courier. It took nearly 3 weeks to get here but tracking said 'attempted delivery- unsuccessful'. Yet I was home that day and no phone call.

Long story short, it took 3 trips to the PO in the next 2 weeks to finally get it. And lucky for me, Mrs Cargo did all the talking in Khmer. PO never explained to her what went wrong. No tea money was small consolation :lol:

This week I got a 1kg parcel sent to me from Australia via DHL. Cost $A95 but sent Monday morning and delivered to my house by Thursday 10.30am.

As others have said, if you're prepared to lose the item, are not in a hurry and prepared to got the PO...then go for it. Out of 4 international post items, I've had 2 delivered to my address and 2 that haven't but never got a phone call. So you could be lucky.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

EMS is safest for post
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

I recently sent a small package from my UK local post office with the recipients full address and telephone number in Phnom Penh with a customs declaration containing the contents and a value of $50. The Phnom Penh post office called the recipient two weeks later to collect the package which was unopened with no request for any tea money.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i have gotten small packages from china, ( ali express), Thailand and the US sent to my address which is the PO in Kep, when it arrives they call me.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Send it to your address WITH YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER CLEARLY ON it. Then it depends which Sangkat you life in. Some get delivered (Daun Penh), some end up at the post office (Sen Sok) and some end up at strange delivery services, that ask for additional money (ZTO) when you pick it up from their office (I am aware that I named them "delivery service")
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic