Orchids

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Orchids

Post by General Mackevili »

StroppyChops wrote:
John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:55 pm
General Mackevili wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:08 pm

I buy them whenever I can, and they are surprisingly easy to keep alive.
The ones I had all fucking died even though I tried taking care of them.
Had a pot of various dormant plants I'd bundled together, doing nothing for months other than dying. Put them on the opposite side of the property where they got afternoon sun and rainwater, new shoots on all plants in 3 days.
frank lee bent wrote:people often overwater them.
I think these are the exact reasons I do so well with them. Don't over water them? Leave them sitting for months? I'm good at that. :thumb:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:55 pm
General Mackevili wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:08 pm

I buy them whenever I can, and they are surprisingly easy to keep alive.
The ones I had all fucking died even though I tried taking care of them.

I dont grow stuff that you cannot eat, but as for these flowers , they are easy to look after. One half bottle of water has now lasted over two years and just in case,,, I have a spare bottle of water on hand. I think the Botanical name is PolyPlastic, or something.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

The guy who runs TEFL International in Koh Kong, NIco MIllen, has a garden full of them
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Orchid Trading Banned in Protected Natural Areas
AKP Phnom Penh, July 14, 2020 --
The Ministry of Environment has banned trading and transportation of Kesor Kol so-called forest orchid in protected natural areas.

The prohibition was officially circulated in a recent announcement of the ministry, following a social media post offering a very high price for the flower.

The post is likely to trigger greedy collection of the flower leading to further destruction of the plant which is critically endangered currently.

Commercial collection of the flower is considered illegal, violating a law on protected natural areas articles 59 and 61, and the Ministry of Environment will take strict measures against the violators.

According to the ministry, Cambodia has now over 150 species of forest orchid and more than 3,000 flower trees in Kesor Kol Sok An Phnom Kulen Research and Conservation Centre.
AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:03 pm Image
Orchid Trading Banned in Protected Natural Areas
AKP Phnom Penh, July 14, 2020 --
The Ministry of Environment has banned trading and transportation of Kesor Kol so-called forest orchid in protected natural areas.

The prohibition was officially circulated in a recent announcement of the ministry, following a social media post offering a very high price for the flower.

The post is likely to trigger greedy collection of the flower leading to further destruction of the plant which is critically endangered currently.

Commercial collection of the flower is considered illegal, violating a law on protected natural areas articles 59 and 61, and the Ministry of Environment will take strict measures against the violators.

According to the ministry, Cambodia has now over 150 species of forest orchid and more than 3,000 flower trees in Kesor Kol Sok An Phnom Kulen Research and Conservation Centre.
AKP
Great stuff I hope they can keep it up ! The policing of this would a huge task here in Cambodia>
nothing better than seeing wild orchids in flower in their native habitat. And only the best photographers can hope to capture their beauty! which unfortunately I am not!
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

This Orchid is growing outside burger king in the city

Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

The best orchid collection i have seen in cambodia was a rag-tag bunch of a few hundred mangled dead looking, or nearly dead looking, things.
Belonged to a mad solo researcher of cambodia's under explored collection of thousands of unnamed wild species.

A brown dead looking writhing mess, but once a year, on different days, every one of those drab uninspiring little plants magically spings a single, a few, or a full spray of the most fantasmagorial flowers for just 2 or 3 days of spectacular miniturised glory before becoming all dead boring again.

All over cambodia, hanging off every second tree there is ithat dead looking detrious, that boring old vine.
But for a few short days it will produce the most beautiful, delicate, wildly spectacular multi-coloured little gems. Most tiny, some really needing a magnifyinging glass to see that classic orchid "ballerina" pose that they all hold.

And most, and this is the wonder, will never be seen by a man.
Kingdom of WOW! stuff. All over the country, beautiful little ballerinas magically springing up everwhere...

(I often see local boats pull into koh kong with big bulging pressed bales of wild orchids - straight to Thailand. Big trade, organised)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

100 orchid samples collected in Mondulkiri in November
Post Staff | Publication date 04 December 2021 | 17:43 ICT

A working group from the Forestry Administration under the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries and officials from the Mondulkiri provincial Department of Environment have collected 100 orchid samples and classified them into five different categories.

The Forestry Administration said the collection and sampling was a part of an orchid preservation programme.

The Ministry of Environment has banned the collection and sale of wild orchids to prevent them from going extinct. The ministry has warned that the sale and purchase at large scale of any kind of wild orchids will be prosecuted by the law.

The environment ministry said that orchids that are being sold in most domestic markets have generally been grown in greenhouses, not in the wild, and they are therefore legal.

Cambodia is rich with orchids, possessing about 500 different species of them that have been discovered so far – though some of those are probably extinct now.

Of the orchid species present in Cambodia only 360 of them have been scientifically classified and categorized.

Wild orchids are under threat from those who pick them and export them to sell them abroad, especially to Thailand and Vietnam, though the government lacks accurate figures on how widespread the practice is currently.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... i-november
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

3rd National Orchid Forum Planned for March
AKP Phnom Penh, February 09, 2023 --
The Ministry of Environment will mark the 3rd National Kesor Kol (Forest Orchid) Forum in March, according to a senior official of the Ministry of Environment.

H.E. Neth Pheaktra, Secretary of State and Spokesperson of the Ministry of Environment, shared the update after inspecting the work progress at Kesor Kol Sok An Phnom Kulen Research and Conservation Centre in Banteay Srei district, Siem Reap province on Tuesday.

The 3rd National Orchid Forum will be a good opportunity to showcase Cambodia's richness of forest orchid and inspire people to love the nature and take part in preservation of the flowers, said H.E. Neth Pheaktra.

The upcoming forum intends to raise public awareness on various kinds of forest orchid and encourage them to help conserve and plant the flowers for home decoration, trade in communities, and export.

There are over 500 kinds of forest orchid in Cambodia, and Kesor Kol Sok An Phnom Kulen Research and Conservation Centre has collected 5,000 samples from Preah Sihanouk, Koh Kong, Kampot, Preah Vihear and Siem Reap provinces.

The Kesor Kol Sok An Phnom Kulen Research and Conservation Centre was established to preserve forest orchid seeds as well as to increase the tourism potential in Siem Reap province.
(Photos: Ministry of Environment)
Article in Khmer by Bun Rith & Rithy
Article in English by Lim Nary

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic