thinking of setting up a website and working online?

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: thinking of setting up a website and working online?

Post by ItWasntMe »

phuketrichard wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:52 pm been at seo and affiliate marketing since 1999
What were you doing back in 99? Was there even websites back then ๐Ÿ˜…
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ItWasntMe wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:54 pm
phuketrichard wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:52 pm okI'll bite>
got a website, got thick skin?
post the url and I, and some others ( maybe ) will give ya some suggestions
been at seo and affiliate marketing since 1999

Will give ya this one as a starter,
Content is king

'99 helped with the development of Planet holiday's website ( now agoda) and set up their affiliate program.

NO in the box software back than :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

phuketrichard wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:58 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:54 pm
phuketrichard wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:52 pm okI'll bite>
got a website, got thick skin?
post the url and I, and some others ( maybe ) will give ya some suggestions
been at seo and affiliate marketing since 1999

Will give ya this one as a starter,
Content is king
actuallyy 98, worked for insiders guides in the states>

'99 helped with the development of Planet holiday's website ( now agoda) and set up their affiliate program.

Wow nice man, off to a good start :)

Didn't you already have that first editor hotdog-something? Or did that come later I can't remember much anymore ๐Ÿ˜…

Edit: sorry guess this is pretty off topic.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:58 pm

Frontpage?

Later Flash, Dreamweaver.... Good ol' days....
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hardly call dreamweaver or frontpage ( WYSIWYG software ) in the box , it was a tool but dam it was steep learning curve
and flash was not software to design a website

started on dreamweaver :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:25 pm hardly call dreamweaver or frontpage ( WYSIWYG software ) in the box , it was a tool but dam it was steep learning curve
and flash was not software to design a website

started on dreamweaver :-)
Back in the days building a website was basic coding.

Nice way to learn it though. Used it for years to make high school kids convert their idea to a code.

Most codes / tags used back then have become obsolete with the introduction of css.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

FYI:
no coments needed>
Tuesday 7th December is the official launch day of 'SEO in 2022'!

We'd love to invite you to celebrate with us and join our special 4-hour Launch Livestream!

David Bain will be joined by 36 of the projects contributors to discuss further their number #1 actionable SEO tip for 2022.

Each hour will be broken up into the individual sections of the book: Evaluate, Plan, Deliver, CANI (Constant And Never-ending Improvement).

The Evaluate session (1pm-2pm GMT) will be co-hosted by Alina Ghost, and will feature Billie Hyde, Emily Potter, Izabela Wisniewska, Lidia Infante, Nick Wilsdon, Rejoice Ojiaku, Andrew Cock-Starkey, and Sante J. Achille.

The Plan session (2pm-3pm GMT) will be co-hosted by Jason Barnard, and will feature Helen Pollitt, Joy Hawkins, Crystal Carter, Motoko Hunt, Natalie Arney, Omi Sido, Luke Carthy, and Olga Zarzeczna.

The Deliver session (3pm-4pm GMT) will be co-hosted by Dixon Jones, and will feature Antonella Villani, Bibi Raven, Dre de Vera, Gus Pelogia, Koray Tugberk GรœBรœR, Maria White, Paige Hobart, and Roxana Stingu.

The CANI session (4pm-5pm GMT) will be co-hosted by Pam Aungst Cronin, and will feature Amel Mehenaoui, Bastian Grimm, Chris Green, Keith Goode, Lazarina Stoy, Lukasz Zelezny, Martha van Berkel, and Nik Ranger.

You can watch the stream live on Tuesday 7th December (1pm GMT / 2pm CET) at https://majestic.com/seo-in-2022
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

ItWasntMe wrote: โ†‘Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:13 am
phuketrichard wrote: โ†‘Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:54 am
ItWasntMe wrote: โ†‘Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:46 am It starts with a good idea, SEO is one channel of marketing.
not exactly, seo is not marketing.
its optimizing ur website so that he gets maximum traffic.

just having an idea ( ur idea, i gurantine you is nOT unique) it must be seen by the maximum number and hopefully, if ur site is optimized, those unique visitors and se engine crawls ( which will get you higher ranking) will convert to sales, commissions, views, bookings, etc etc.
It will only convert if you have a good product, that is number one. Depending on what your product is you might focus on SEO or other means of gaining traffic. That is part of your markering strategy. Some may focus very hard on SEO, others might find social media is where they find their audience and so on.

But if you want to suggest a website maybe tell us a little bit about why you choose to follow them and what you gained from it? Many forums would just delete a thread like this cause it has no content just a link.

Shit SEO.

Unless we start talking about SEO, then we might fool these robots to think that the OPs link was important to the topic....
I agree totally, almost. A top salesman can sell almost anything, but not online, so it would take some shoe leather, and phone calls, as well. And perseverance. Particularly with a vanilla product/service and/or in a competitive space. There are quite a lot of products that have since been removed from shelves, after the founder, designer or ideasman had made some healthy investment capital, to take into his/her next venture. A good product is number 1, IMO too, but I wouldn't say it "...will only convert..." The rest... I'm glad you said it.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

heres one guy talking about seo>

all the interviews:
https://majestic.com/seo-in-2022

.....A good product is number 1, IMO too
whose to say what is a good product nowadays?

if its out there on the web & or in real life, someone is interested in buying it, reselling it, using it, reading it, watching it,.....etc etc

FYI
sex is always #1
RorschachRev
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by RorschachRev »

I actually recommend against CMS these days. Wordpress *can* be okay but you shouldn't put money in it imho. Too many security holes introduced by themes, plugins, etc. If you can do the website in wordpress without plugins, then it is very secure. Each plugin increases the risk of being hacked, each year, per plugin, by about 10%. Drupal is in a horrid state these days, there is a civil war going on regarding package management. Node.js is unstable, but has some great backing. I don't like any of the javascript based sloppy things like angular.js. All of my web based product development (and a lot of my phone development) is done in Django (python). What I was doing back in 99 ... well I was doing network administration and security. In 98 I did some programming for pay, in 2001 I did a lot more programming for pay. In 2000 I was in the dotcom bubble in Silicon Valley writing "whatisthiswebsitefor.com" on whiteboards and getting laughter as a response.

SEO is all about content, links and avoiding branding mistakes. Remember that each word has a "cost" and trying to take over certain keywords ("news") vs others ("bajga") have dramatically different costs. The scales used in link counts and authority are all logarithmic, base 14 scale last I checked. Remember to avoid penalties and grab some reputable partners. SEO, simply put, is the ability for machines to find and read your website. It could look gorgeous, but if you can't tell what the website is supposed to do by looking at the source html, machines will fail to rank your content too.(This is where angular.js and similar platforms completely fail!)

Most good retail products are niche for sure. A good store is invaluable, just cram stuff in it then spend weeks polishing.

My experiences with 20 years of outsourcing failures have convinced me it is impossible to work with outsourced development that has any sort of churn and burn. I have developers in other countries, but I "own" the developer and we grow together. This isn't a temporary business relationship, but a personal one. I'm tempted to create a larger development team in Cambodia. Right now I'm in Seoul and my ability to travel to Japan appears stymied by omicron. (The country is closed and will go partially bankrupt before reopening.) I recommend against India if you do outsource, because of a cultural issue involving princes. The prince will walk into a room, make some insane sort of announcement, walk out of the room. He expects "something" to be done, and it is up to the people in that room to figure out how to re-interpret what was said into something possible, build it, show it to him, let him take all the credit for their idea.This is completely different culturally than the US/UK style where people are expected to follow instructions. If you want to fund the development of Indian teams inventing stuff and seeing what pops out, ask them to build anything - you'll get something different.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic