CRAZY free flow lunch at Khéma

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Re: CRAZY free flow lunch at Khéma

Post by Nicolas »

hanno wrote:
clutchcargo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:27 pm Well that didn't work for me.
I guess someone didn't think the promo all the way through. I can just see it, department head meeting: we need to do something, revenue is down. Let's do a promo and let the trainee handle it.....
Revenue is down since Feb 2020 with multiple lockdowns, curfew and zero tourists. It would be a little late to react just nowImageImage

Behind the scene: every week a chef update the business lunch with 3 starters and 3 mains and it wasn’t impressive anymore.
It was boring, no more wow effect, it felt like a canteen lunch.
So the chef had carte blanche and he prepared 39 dishes that couldn’t fit on a A4 paper.
Boiled down to 25, and already preparing a rotation to include new dishes next week.
No marketing, no head meeting, no regards for profit, just a chef who wanted to kick some sleeping habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I have been to one or two all-you-can-eat promo's and while they sound like an incredible deal when you are hungry, by the time I've had a starter and a main I have lost enthusiasm for eating. In effect, you'll have two dishes for about $5 and $10 and that is exactly what you can get in a lot of places.

Open Wine used to do a 2 or 3 course lunch for $12.95 and $15.95, iirc, and two courses was nice and three was more than enough. Of course, by the time you leave your bill bares no resemblance to $12.95 because of the booze you consume and that is what these restaurant are banking on.

Having said that, the menu look very nice, the restaurants are well appointed and so it is worth taking up the challenge.

Ordering "wisely" means staying well away from the filling stuff, so no soups or pastas and send that tempting basket of bread away from the start. Don't order any drinks or water until the food arrives - bread, butter and water will sabotage your plans.

My choice would be: Prawn and Avocado Salad and the Chicken Liver Mouse, followed by the Pork Scaloppini (ignore the spaghetti until the end) with a Croque Monsieur on the side. Maybe a creme caramel could be squeezed in.

I'll be making an attempt one day next week...
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

You are spot on!
Truth to be told, my preferred free flow is the steak night at Bar 21, free flow Australian steaks BBQ and sides for $12 net!
But of course, you dine on a country side table and there’s no service.

Great pick the pork fillet Milanese! I would add the spaghetti seafood - delicious.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:41 pm You are spot on!
Truth to be told, my preferred free flow is the steak night at Bar 21, free flow Australian steaks BBQ and sides for $12 net!

Great pick the pork fillet Milanese! I would add the spaghetti seafood - delicious.
I've done the steak night at Bar 21, that is an exception to the rule of AYCE offers. Any tough bits of steak can be given to the resident Labrador.
Are they doing it again? It would be good now the cool weather is here.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

there is no such thing as a pork fillet Milanese...
work is for people who cant find truffles
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

For sure, not as good as veal Milanese, but still quiet nice!

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

truffledog wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:52 pm

there is no such thing as a pork fillet Milanese...
I think he means pork tenderloin Milanese Some people use fillet and tenderloin interchangeably
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Nicolas, I wish you guys would bring back the set breakfast. I don't like the buffet style, and à la carte is ok, but I loved it when you guys had a set (breakfast, a pastry and a drink) for something like $7 if I recall. It was a bit more filling than a simple breakfast, but I didn't leave bloated like with the buffet. And my wallet was always happy...

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

Do you guys do any buffet dinner?
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Nicolas, I wish you guys would bring back the set breakfast. I don't like the buffet style, and à la carte is ok, but I loved it when you guys had a set (breakfast, a pastry and a drink) for something like $7 if I recall. It was a bit more filling than a simple breakfast, but I didn't leave bloated like with the buffet. And my wallet was always happy...
Hummmm … interesting! I wonder if we can pull out from the free flow menu a special quick lunch: “1 dish + 1 dessert + 1 coffee” for $7

Same concept for breakfast, 1 dish 1 danish and 1 coffee set.

I’ll make the suggestion next meeting

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic