Cambodian Exit Visa Guidelines

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Charng
Tourist
Australia

Cambodian Exit Visa Guidelines

Post by Charng »

Hi Folks,

I just picked up our baby son's Australian passport yesterday and was given a blue information sheet titled "Cambodian Exit Visa Guidelines".

From what I can gather from reading the first halve of this guideline, "holders of an Australian child's first passport, must apply for an exit visa before leaving Cambodia." And, the "exit visa is valid for 7 days from the date you apply, and you must leave Cambodia within this time.."

Then under the paragraph titled "First child passport": "Parents/guardians of an Australian child are required to apply for an exit visa within several days of the passport being issued."

Does that mean I have to get an exit visa now? We do not have any flights booked at this moment and may travel in the new year.

This confused me a bit so I called the Australian embassy for clarification. The person I spoke to indicated that this guideline was issued prior to COVID-19 and now the Cambodian government does not require an exit visa for my son. I should instead go to the same department that processes exit visa, the Department of Non-Immigrants and Technology, and apply for a Visa-K for my son instead.

Just to double check, does this advice seem correct from those who may know about or have been through these situations?

Cheers
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Cambodian Exit Visa Guidelines

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

If your child has a Cambodian parent, then you should just get a Cambodian passport, no need to muck around with a K-type Visa or an Exit Visa.

If neither parent is Cambodian, then you can go to the DoI Visa Office opposite the airport to obtain the same E-type Visa Extension of Stay as the parents (or the MoFAIC if yous are on a B or C type Visa). Pre-COVID this wasn't possible, but due to travel restrictions it is.
Charng
Tourist
Australia

Post by Charng »

Yes, he has a Cambodian passport as well.

I read somewhere on previous CEO forum topics that it was also convenient to get the K-Visa.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

If he has a Cambodian passport as well as an Australian passport then no exit visa is needed.
Charng
Tourist
Australia

Post by Charng »

Thanks for the insights guys. At some point before we leave I'll get a K visa for our son.

Cheers
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

If a child has a K-visa in their old passport, can they just show the old and new passports on departure? (Oz passport).
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:42 pm If a child has a K-visa in their old passport, can they just show the old and new passports on departure? (Oz passport).
No, a valid Visa is required for departure from Cambodia, luckily the DoI are issuing K-type Visas in country currently, just apply for a new one at the DoI Visa office.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Charng wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:04 pm Yes, he has a Cambodian passport as well.

I read somewhere on previous CEO forum topics that it was also convenient to get the K-Visa.
Convenient sure, but definitely not necessary. If the kid has a Cambodian passport then there really is no need for the K-type Visa
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:49 am
Username Taken wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:42 pm If a child has a K-visa in their old passport, can they just show the old and new passports on departure? (Oz passport).
No, a valid Visa is required for departure from Cambodia, luckily the DoI are issuing K-type Visas in country currently, just apply for a new one at the DoI Visa office.
Any idea if they also give new K-type visas in country? Not just renewal?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:43 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:49 am
Any idea if they also give new K-type visas in country? Not just renewal?
They have been throughout the COVID period, and still are as far as I am aware.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic