Siem Reap Province Bans Dog Meat Traffic (UPDATED)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Siem Reap Province Bans Dog Meat Traffic (UPDATED)

Post by John Bingham »

chrisjones wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:37 pm Do they serve dog meat in restaurants here if you order something else?
Yeah, if you try and order some pork or chicken they will usually try and sneak in some dog meat which costs at least twice as much. :roll:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Kampong Thom): Authorities stopped a vehicle carrying more than 100 dogs in Kampong Thom at 10pm on March 18, 2021.

More than 100 dogs have been released under the direct command of Mr. Sin Virak, Prosecutor of Kampong Thom Provincial Court, led by Mr. Say Veasna, Deputy Prosecutor of Kampong Thom Province, together with veterinary officials. The truck was intercepted while carrying dogs at Prey Preal village, Trapeang Russey commune, Kampong Svay district.

A blue truck with license plate Kampong Cham 2A-4534 was carrying more than 100 dogs, collected by Moul, a 45-year-old man and his wife, from villages in Kampong Thom and Kampong Cham provinces to take to sell in Phnom Penh.

Mr. Say Veasna, Deputy Prosecutor, said that according to the instructions to ban the sale and sale of dogs in Siem Reap, the Governor of Siem Reap and the Provincial Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, including the General Department of Animal Health and Animal Production issued a letter saying that dog trafficking is strictly prohibited.

[CEO News: It is well known that Siem Reap province has banned all traffic and sale of dogs for food, but this latest arrest is not connected to Siem Reap, so it not clear if the ban on dog meat trading has now been extended to other Cambodian provinces.]
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:06 pm Image
Cambodia News, (Kampong Thom): Authorities stopped a vehicle carrying more than 100 dogs in Kampong Thom at 10pm on March 18, 2021.

More than 100 dogs have been released under the direct command of Mr. Sin Virak, Prosecutor of Kampong Thom Provincial Court, led by Mr. Say Veasna, Deputy Prosecutor of Kampong Thom Province, together with veterinary officials. The truck was intercepted while carrying dogs at Prey Preal village, Trapeang Russey commune, Kampong Svay district.

A blue truck with license plate Kampong Cham 2A-4534 was carrying more than 100 dogs, collected by Moul, a 45-year-old man and his wife, from villages in Kampong Thom and Kampong Cham provinces to take to sell in Phnom Penh.

Mr. Say Veasna, Deputy Prosecutor, said that according to the instructions to ban the sale and sale of dogs in Siem Reap, the Governor of Siem Reap and the Provincial Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, including the General Department of Animal Health and Animal Production issued a letter saying that dog trafficking is strictly prohibited.

[CEO News: It is well known that Siem Reap province has banned all traffic and sale of dogs for food, but this latest arrest is not connected to Siem Reap, so it not clear if the ban on dog meat trading has now been extended to other Cambodian provinces.]
I wonder what the consequences are of “releasing” 100 dogs? Did they just open the cages and turn them loose or have they a plan of action regarding re-homing them?
I should imagine an additional 100 dogs suddenly running loose in the neighborhood would create some issues.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Siem Reap Dog Meat Reastaurant Closed Down
Cambodia News, (Siem Reap): On 2 April 2021, Siem Reap provincial veterinary officials have closed a dog meat shop near Wat Po Pei Deum in Siem Reap, which has been selling dog meat for more than 10 years. The establishment, which is owned by Chi Socheat, has previously been given a warning by the authorities and told to change the restaurant fare, so this is the second closure for failure to comply with the new law which forbids the sale of dogs as food in Siem Reap.
Dog meat restaurants in Siem Reap have all been given notice that they must stop serving dog meat or they will be shut down.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

November 26, 2021
Majority of Cambodians want dog meat banned across the Kingdom
Mao Chanvireak / Khmer Times

Following a controversy over the sale of dog meat since February this year, 90% of Cambodians have polled that they want it banned.

This was revealed to Khmer Times yesterday when the issue of dog meat was raised to the FOUR PAWS.

FOUR PAWS had conducted a public opinion poll in February this year to get people across the Kingdom to give their opinion as to whether the dog meat should be sold in the market or be banned totally.

FOUR PAWS Head of Stray Animal Care- Southeast Asia Katherine Polak said the poll results showed that 90% of the respondents agreed or strongly agreed to support the ban of dog meat while six percent was of the view that dog meat should be sold as it is part of the Cambodian culture.

In Cambodia, she added the dog meat trade takes the lives of three million dogs including stray dogs every year, with many dogs kept as pets also stolen to meet market demand.

Siem Reap is the only province in Cambodia that has taken an official stand to ban the dog meat trade.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50977602/m ... e-kingdom/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

March 7, 2022
About three million dogs killed for food in Cambodia annually, says Four PAWS representative

According to a representative from Four PAWS, annually across Asia about 30 million dogs and cats are slaughtered for food and about three million of those dogs are slaughtered in Cambodia.

This was announced by Four PAWS representative, Thorn Ratany, on March 5 while speaking at a dog show in Siem Reap City.

Ratany continued that most of the dogs slaughtered in Cambodia are killed in Siem Reap. The province is the largest source of dog meat in the country and other provinces source the meat from Siem Reap.

However, Siem Reap’s provincial authorities, especially the provincial Department of Agriculture, has taken strict measures to eliminate businesses dependent on the sale of dog meat. The numbers of such businesses have declined, but the extent of the decline hasn’t been studied.

“If we look at the old targets that we have studied so far, some of the dog shops have closed and some are still there, but under different labels. Some of the shops advertise their meat as ‘special meat’ other people would not know if the shops sell dog meat but old customers would know,” Ratany said.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501037220/ ... sentative/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

I like dogs (as pets) as much as anyone else, but I just don’t see what all the fuss is about. Seeing a pig, a cow, or a chicken being treated in an overtly cruel manner would bother me just as much as seeing a dog treated the same way, but if they’re all just treated as farm animals then what’s the difference?

I could maybe believe that 90% of rich city dwellers in Cambodia are against eating dog meat, but I find it hard to believe that number would be accurate across the whole country.
I know my friends in rural Vietnam have no problem at all with eating dog meat, and think it’s kind of funny (and hypocritical) that westerners make such a stink about it.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Ryan754326 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:36 am I like dogs (as pets) as much as anyone else, but I just don’t see what all the fuss is about. Seeing a pig, a cow, or a chicken being treated in an overtly cruel manner would bother me just as much as seeing a dog treated the same way, but if they’re all just treated as farm animals then what’s the difference?

I could maybe believe that 90% of rich city dwellers in Cambodia are against eating dog meat, but I find it hard to believe that number would be accurate across the whole country.
I know my friends in rural Vietnam have no problem at all with eating dog meat, and think it’s kind of funny (and hypocritical) that westerners make such a stink about it.
I have no problem with dogs being raised as livestock and being humanely dispatched for consumption, the problem is the level of cruelty involved for many of them, torture is not an acceptable farming practice.
What is your idea of overtly cruel? Do you know of any other food/farm animal that is tied up with metal wire and beaten to death with a club, or plunged alive into boiling water to kill it, so that in the agony of dying it’s body becomes saturated with adrenaline, ‘all to enhance the flavor of the meat’?
I’m not saying this is happening to the dogs eaten by Khmers, but it definitely happens to many of the the dogs ‘harvested’ to be consumed by Chinese, here and elsewhere.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Chickens are electrocuted in their cages so their feathers fall out, cows are hung upside down by their hind leg and throats slashed in the slaughterhouses of Western countries. Cruelty is in the eye of the beholder. Indignation can always be found everywhere. Chickens cry as their throats are cut, fish writhe with pain as they are pounded on the head with a mallet, and impaled shrimp squirm as they are roasted alive on the BBQ.

However, what if was like South Korea, dogs for eating are raised on farms (livestock), and dogs for pets are not?

Right now lots of dogs are simply taken anywhere possible - streets, people’s homes, etc.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

[/quote]
I wonder what the consequences are of “releasing” 100 dogs? Did they just open the cages and turn them loose or have they a plan of action regarding re-homing them?
I should imagine an additional 100 dogs suddenly running loose in the neighborhood would create some issues.
[/quote]

Look ma , free food !
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic