Car title

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Car title

Post by Chad Sexington »

Mojo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:36 pm The house is already in my wife’s name, so why not the car? The title is in first owners name and we are buying it from the second owner, so my wife’s family is still saying $480 to clear it. Ouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CNM website is quoting approx $350 for 2009 or earlier models, double that for 2014 or newer, and that’s with them doing all the heavy lifting for you. Might be worth your while checking with them.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I don't know why but I was under the impression that it was only motorcycles that you was unable to register in your own name, unless it was of a new or first import. But now we are taking of an high value type of transportation that is offering red tape once again.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Simple solution don't buy the car and take the cash with you to Thailand
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Recently I bought a 2002 Lexus RX300 V6 AWD thru Matt at CNM Motors. He sourced the vehicle, did all the USA background checks, took it to their garage and gave it a thorough look over then advised me on the condition of it and a quote on what it would cost to make it near perfect. He handled the sale, paid the road tax, organised the registration without me needing to be there and checked all the work was up to standard. Excellent service for the $150 fee. Highly recommended for a stress free purchase. It drives like a near new car and I am very happy.

Registration is interesting - most people want PP number plates as they are easier to sell apparently, and cheaper for Khmer to change owners, but in theory you need a prove you live in PP. So if your partner is registered in Pursat then they pay the same fee as a barang. For most expats, the ministry add the MPWT address as the address on the card, especially for expats living in the province. The cost was $420 - slightly higher due to the vehicle secured with a bank loan. That was the official price based on the registration office receipt.

The only downside is that when you sell you need to accompany the buyer to PP to do the paperwork and they will haggle down the cost of the transfer claiming it is higher because you are a barang. This is true but I also sold in the province so they took 400 off the purchase price - that was for a 2003 Highlander Limited.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:20 pm I don't know why but I was under the impression that it was only motorcycles that you was unable to register in your own name, unless it was of a new or first import. But now we are taking of an high value type of transportation that is offering red tape once again.
Yes 2nd hand motos cannot be transferred to your name.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

kgbagent wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:32 pm
AndyKK wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:20 pm I don't know why but I was under the impression that it was only motorcycles that you was unable to register in your own name, unless it was of a new or first import. But now we are taking of an high value type of transportation that is offering red tape once again.
Yes, I understand the used motorcycle can't be put in the barang name, but I was actually meaning the hardship of doing the same for a car. This is a huge expense for the buyer in the first instance, then to go through hoops and hurdle's to put it legally in the buyers name. I have heard plenty of reason's why this is so like it is, from they not want the foreign person to take the vehicle outside the country and possibly sell it, though I would expect this to be a very unlikely thing to do. Also He I hear doesn't make it easy for the foreigner to drive on Cambodian roads because he doesn't want the visitor too be injured or worse in a road traffic accident.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:58 pm
kgbagent wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:32 pm
Yes, I understand the used motorcycle can't be put in the barang name, but I was actually meaning the hardship of doing the same for a car. This is a huge expense for the buyer in the first instance, then to go through hoops and hurdle's to put it legally in the buyers name. I have heard plenty of reason's why this is so like it is, from they not want the foreign person to take the vehicle outside the country and possibly sell it, though I would expect this to be a very unlikely thing to do. Also He I hear doesn't make it easy for the foreigner to drive on Cambodian roads because he doesn't want the visitor too be injured or worse in a road traffic accident.
Actually the process is not that difficult or time consuming or by western standards particularly expensive at all. Is 400$ a burden for someone with a new Bentley? My guess would be the average price for a used vehicle is probably in the 30-40k range so again $400 is not onerous or a factor on buying a vehicle. The government makes most of their share on the import tax do I don't think they worry about a few foreigners taking the vehicle out of Cambodia and the actual cost of a 20yr old car costing up to 20kUSD here you will struggle to sell it in Vietnam or Thailand even if you could. As for HE I don't think concern for foreigners having traffic accidents enters his thoughts at all - all of SEA is easy to rent or buy a shitty unsafe motorbike without any restrictions.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Also noticed that many high-end and high priced luxury vehicles have no registration at all and no plates - you can get neither until you produce an import tax receipt. I have heard that a 200k Rolls Royce would cost $400k to legally put on the road here. A lot of the unplated ones are leased from the importer and I doubt the average traffic policeman has the cojones to argue with a Rolls driver. :twisted:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic