thinking of setting up a website and working online?

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: thinking of setting up a website and working online?

Post by ItWasntMe »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:54 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:46 am It starts with a good idea, SEO is one channel of marketing.
not exactly, seo is not marketing.
its optimizing ur website so that he gets maximum traffic.

just having an idea ( ur idea, i gurantine you is nOT unique) it must be seen by the maximum number and hopefully, if ur site is optimized, those unique visitors and se engine crawls ( which will get you higher ranking) will convert to sales, commissions, views, bookings, etc etc.
It will only convert if you have a good product, that is number one. Depending on what your product is you might focus on SEO or other means of gaining traffic. That is part of your markering strategy. Some may focus very hard on SEO, others might find social media is where they find their audience and so on.

But if you want to suggest a website maybe tell us a little bit about why you choose to follow them and what you gained from it? Many forums would just delete a thread like this cause it has no content just a link.

Shit SEO.

Unless we start talking about SEO, then we might fool these robots to think that the OPs link was important to the topic....
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:10 am So, what I am getting to is, I'm interested and will check it out and issue feedback, because I need everything from office software to websites. And I will do them myself because both of the techies I have paid in advance have been so lazy, I educated myself and finished the project before they started.
SEO is getting more and more complicated, and the standards are set by Google. We, the owners of websites, simply have to adhere.

No mobile template... Lower ranking.
Template not according to guidelines... Lower ranking.
No HTTPS... Lower ranking.
No real related content... Lower ranking.
etc.

The problem is setting up a website by yourself, and maintaining it, is nearly undo-able. So most use software which will do the creation based on what you put in. That's where the research starts. Your SEO is as good as the software which you will use will allow you to do. If it doesn't automatically creates titles, ALT texts for pictures, resizes pictures for fast transfer, uses <H> tags to allow easy crawling, doesn't create a valid sitemap, etc etc SEO management becomes really difficult. The times when you simply put a single word as many times in your page as possible to get a high ranking are definitely over. Now the algorithms use a very complicated mix no one really knows, except for Google.

So my advice would be to carefully select the software (content management system) you will use. It's a bit like a bank, once you use it, it's very time consuming to exchange it for another one.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:29 am
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:10 am So, what I am getting to is, I'm interested and will check it out and issue feedback, because I need everything from office software to websites. And I will do them myself because both of the techies I have paid in advance have been so lazy, I educated myself and finished the project before they started.
SEO is getting more and more complicated, and the standards are set by Google. We, the owners of websites, simply have to adhere.

etc.

The problem is setting up a website by yourself, and maintaining it, is nearly undo-able. So most use software which will do the creation based on what you put in. That's where the research starts. Your SEO is as good as the software which you will use will allow you to do. If it doesn't automatically creates titles, ALT texts for pictures, resizes pictures for fast transfer, uses <H> tags to allow easy crawling, doesn't create a valid sitemap, etc etc SEO management becomes really difficult. The times when you simply put a single word as many times in your page as possible to get a high ranking are definitely over. Now the algorithms use a very complicated mix no one really knows, except for Google.

So my advice would be to carefully select the software (content management system) you will use. It's a bit like a bank, once you use it, it's very time consuming to exchange it for another one.
Agree but let's not forget rule #1, good content.

Unless you have a massive budget struggling with the other big boys for #1 on "computers" then your main focus will be good content.

Google is constantly making changes to be better at recognizing relevant content for their viewers. SEO is about structuring your content so that its easy to distinguish.

However, Google is not interested in SEO, so they will try to recognize good content even if the SEO is shit, that is their struggle.

As a small company you will generally be interested in good relevant content versus optimizing every tag on your page. Just learn the basics of how to organize a website and you're off to a good start.

And always remember, if you can't do something become a teacher. Same goes for most of these SEO companies.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

SEO, Search Engine Optimization, is just that, content that is optimized to satisfy search engines in order to rank in searches.

"content that is optimized to satisfy search engines"

There's a guy by the name of Kyle Roof who won an SEO competition in 2018 in a Faceboook group called SEO Signals Lab.
The competition was to write an article about the search term "rhinoplasty Plano", post it on a brand new domain, and have it ranking within 30 days.

At the end of 30 days, Kyle's article was in postion #7 in the SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages), but 2 weeks later he was ranking #1.
Big deal!
So what!

The big deal was that Kyle had taken the time to reverse engineer Google's search algorythm and had worked out that all he had to do was to place words in strategic places that Google would be looking for, Voila!
Except that the bulk of Kyle's article was composed of nothing more than Lorem Ipsum. So when you read the page it was like "blah, blah, blah, blah, nose job, blah, blah, blah, blah, Plano, blah, blah," that kind of stuff.

Kyle is now a highly sort after SEO Speaker, and owner of PageOptimizer.pro
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

...Agree but let's not forget rule #1, good content.

Unless you have a massive budget struggling with the other big boys for #1 on "computers" then your main focus will be good content.
ur getting there, no one in their right mind would try to seo a site for the key word "computers.

if ur going to set up[ a site to generate $$ think "niche market"

find a product online that does not get 10 million page views and is not optimized and build a better site
....The times when you simply put a single word as many times in your page as possible
back in early 2002 i ran a few websites that sold phentermine/adipex.
This was just when affiliate marketing was starting. i literally had one site that mentioned phentermine diet pills over and over in a font color unseen by the visitor, but could be picked up by the se crawls, also a very heavy descriptive meta title, description and keywords using the works diet pill, phentermine, adipex in various phrases.
Had a few number one rankings in yahoo.... LOL
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:38 am back in early 2002 i ran a few websites that sold phentermine/adipex.
This was just when affiliate marketing was starting. i literally had one site that mentioned phentermine diet pills over and over in a font color unseen by the visitor, but could be picked up by the se crawls, also a very heavy descriptive meta title, description and keywords using the works diet pill, phentermine, adipex in various phrases.
Had a few number one rankings in yahoo.... LOL
Yes, those tricks worked for a while, but they're long gone now. Google's algorithms are pretty advanced now, they will not just look for content and structures in the page, but also include loading times, check if the template is readable on certain devices, etc etc.

If you register your website with Google they will show you glimpse of what they take into consideration when ranking you, all in all there's about twenty variables you can see there. And if something goes wrong, you're fucked. Sometimes Google (wrongly) thinks certain parts of a website don't have to be crawled and they won't, no matter what. That info will then not be exposed through the Google search function. Pretty scary when you give it a few thoughts.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Remember the times of Alta Vista? Lol, money literally grew on trees.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

I get 3 Indians a day offering to optimize my site, It's a never ending battle with the Indians.
I need to pick up my game in this arena so appreciate the thread Rich!
I think the biggest tip is to update & add content on a weekly basis or start trading with the Indians :santa:
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:29 am

etc.

You had me at hello.

I am under no self-illusions where my strengths lie and the restrictions the hours in each day have on my multicap-wearing abilities (I only have so many personalities) - from the politically-adhering manager to the loose-cannon sales firecracker, and the fizzy, sparkling whiner receptionist, to the lifeless, week-long opened can of coke, still being served as a mixer on St 136 bars, of an Accountant.

I was convinced, long ago, the techies' cap is a one-size is permanent. It is my time-management's Kryptonite.

So, when I saw some aggressive biting in this pond, I cast a lure. You bit. I had a contract written up before finishing your piece of post.

Now Im dragging you in, you, oblivious to the hook through your cheek. Heads-up so you don't freak out, when you realise it has been happening, and you're in an ocean of sh..opportunity.

When can you start?

Don't consider what I need - it's everything you can do. Disregard your busy schedule - you know what they say about work-deligating and busy beavers - you can sleep Sundays.

I'll let out some slack, on your initial decline, before rapidly reeling you on board, with a carrot (that'd be a first!).

If it doesn't pan out so smoothly, I'll warn you now, I'll start again, and do it different.

I have all to do, even the easy stuff, because time is money, and it is also our greatest commodity, that increases in value, with age.

So it is a lot cheaper for me to pay a genius peanuts, almonds actually, than do it myself, locked away - which will drive me to an early grave (I think I heard a few exes cars backing out of driveways, then) - only to return to a world where my space is now sold in pill form, at duty-free shops at the moon's (or simply, at Moon's, as known), Virgin's Tranquilty Floatation Therapy Resort by the Sea.

I need help (nods are cheap shots), if anyone needs money. If you do not, and have skills, I am not above robbing you, so you do.

Easy, or the hard. Up to you: :please: or :evil:
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ok I'll bite>
got a website, got thick skin?
post the url and I, and some others ( maybe ) will give ya some suggestions
been at seo and affiliate marketing since 1999

Will give ya these 2 as a starter;;

Content is king
Niche marketing rules
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic