Exploitation of Khmer staff

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Re: Exploitation of Khmer staff

Post by flying chicken »

StroppyChops wrote:Our staff are paid well above minimum and even above average - while we take no personal income and are running at a steep loss for 12 months. Our initial aim is for the business to pay the Khmer wages and running costs, and eventually our rent, and then fund the free education program.

I guarantee that as soon as the business starts turning a dollar, we'll be accused by some Muppet somewhere of exploiting the locals, because we'll be 'benefiting' from social enterprise.
Sorry to hear about it. If I was to do it again I would have a stack wades of 20 dollars notes and hand it out to every person on the streets in Phnom penh. Or else buy myself a nice fishing boat catching tunas and sell it to the Japanese market.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
MoodyMonkey
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by MoodyMonkey »

Lonestar wrote:I wonder if I paid my staff a western wage..........how many posters demanding "fairness" for Cambodians would be at my bar paying 4.00 for a beer.

I pay as much as I can and as much as this highly competitive market will bear............any more, and I will not have a business and they will not have a job.
I think that the inverse of that is the OP's point. If a place IS charging 'international' prices for their food and drink, and then creaming a huge amount off the savings on staff salaries, then surely it is a bit devious.
There are no letters in the mailbox, there are no grapes upon the vine, there are no chocolates in the boxes anymore and there are no diamonds in the mine.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Last edited by Digg3r on Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Last edited by Digg3r on Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

Digg3r wrote:I remember with my place. I paid average and I paid way above average with top perks. It made no difference, still had lazy, thieving, lying, unreliable staff.
exactly.

it speaks entirely against any business owner to pay "above average" for no valid reason. the goal of any business is to make profit, and that's nothing "bad", not at all.

if then, after all profit and (new) investments anything is left, you can consider paying it to staff for outstanding work, loyality.
so, its in the west. have you guys never lived there or no clue or what?

by default, there is zero reason, to pay "above average".
its counterproductive - and, it fucks up your reputation, your standing as an employer. nobody will take you serious, least your staff.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Lonestar wrote:I wonder if I paid my staff a western wage..........how many posters demanding "fairness" for Cambodians would be at my bar paying 4.00 for a beer.

I pay as much as I can and as much as this highly competitive market will bear
Didn't Ford or one of the other industrialists have a maxim along these lines?
potty wrote:have you guys never lived there or no clue or what?
A comment for nothing on your posting style (which you can reject if you like) - you often have really valid, interesting contributions, but your inability to refrain from insulting other posters unnecessarily leads me to ignore your posts. Often a shame.
by default, there is zero reason, to pay "above average".
its counterproductive - and, it fucks up your reputation, your standing as an employer. nobody will take you serious, least your staff.
Disagree. We know the extended family of our staff, who know we pay above average and why. If any of the staff did the wrong thing by us, their family would lose face and probably cause the staff member physical grief. 'Face' works when you work it.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

StroppyChops wrote:Like any business, you plan to run at a loss for 12 months. And yes, definitely a lot of training going in, Mrs S and I are working 5 days a week for the opportunity to give away our slush funds at the moment.
What is your personal reasoning behind paying a higher than normal salary?

#curiosity
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

General Mackevili wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:Like any business, you plan to run at a loss for 12 months. And yes, definitely a lot of training going in, Mrs S and I are working 5 days a week for the opportunity to give away our slush funds at the moment.
What is your personal reasoning behind paying a higher than normal salary?

#curiosity
Honestly, because we want them to achieve self-determination at some point and we don't think minimum wage allows for that.

We're probably different as employers as we're not in it for profit - profit goes into the education arm of the company. It's more accurate to refer to what we're doing as 'social enterprise' (tree-hugging, good-doing, whatever you prefer) than business for profit.

We're also very actively demonstrating that compassion needs verbs, as good intentions (empty prayers, etc) are worthless without action. "Why you do this?" is being asked less as time goes by, and we're starting to see the compassion we model being reflected even when our crew don't know we're looking.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

potty wrote:
Digg3r wrote:by default, there is zero reason, to pay "above average".
Besides human decency perhaps...the desire to afford people a living rather than subsistence wage because it is the right and decent thing to do.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

I entirely disagree. in every country the business purpose with making profit is the main goal.

every dollar spent for non-investment-purposes is lost, and cant e.g. go into the "education arm", or other expansion ideas.

it should be the main purpose to set up and expand the business, and not to throw money on individuals.
jmho.

I also fail to see, how this procedure would support development of work ethics. I think it does even do the opposite.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic