Tennis star Peng Shuai who alleged that she had been forced into sex by former vice-premier Zhang is missing

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Tennis star Peng Shuai who alleged that she had been forced into sex by former vice-premier Zhang is missing

Post by ofparadise »

BEIJING (AFP, NYTIMES, REUTERS) - The mystery surrounding the whereabouts of Ms Peng Shuai deepened on Thursday (Nov 18) after Chinese state media published an e-mail purportedly from the Chinese tennis star.

Ms Peng alleged on Nov 2 on the Twitter-like Weibo that she had been "forced" into sex by former vice-premier Zhang Gaoli during a long-term on-off relationship, but the post was swiftly deleted.

The 35-year-old Ms Peng has not been seen since, but state media has now published a screenshot on Twitter of what it says is an e-mail from her in which she supposedly backtracks on the accusations and says she is "resting at home and everything is fine".

Where is Peng now?

Ms Peng has not been seen since she made the Weibo post. Chinese state broadcaster CGTN on Thursday posted a letter attributed to Ms Peng on its Twitter account.

"I am not missing, nor am I unsafe. I've just been resting at home and everything is fine," the letter said, adding that her purported allegations of sexual assault were "not true".

But the effort to knock down her allegations of an affair with the former Communist Party leader was met with scepticism from supporters. Doubts were quickly flagged about the awkward language and a cursor visible in the screenshot.

(There are more details in the source article below)

Original Source:

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east- ... ed-to-know