Kissinger: US and China must realise..

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Kissinger: US and China must realise..

Post by Kammekor »

bossho wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:49 pm @orussey98 you re not qualified to make such a comment, are you? I m guessing you re blaming Kissinger on the bombings here from, say, '68-'73? If you are saying that, you just think you can absolve all the other players in that tragic bit of recent history? I remember my first beer....
He still owes me 17 trucks of soil to fill the crater in my garden....
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

that would be funny if it was funny
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Oh, definitely take your place in that line then, you didnt mention that most salient part, I mean you can just shoot all logic out of the sky now and lay the whole damn thing off on Mr Kissinger because you are one of the holy, well, once removed, I guess, sort of- i mean it's affected you and regardless what anyone else in a parallel position of authority did back then you can just always remember that you carry a very special card in your pocket against any and all arguements regarding the USA's National Sec. Advisor's role in the bombings here during his post. Even if you lose you win because Henry did it and you know it's true. No one can take that away from you now or ever. My God, I had no idea, my fomenting apology to you and all the blameless.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

orussey98 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:03 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:48 pm
orussey98 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:51 pm That monster is still alive?
He's 98 years old! Obviously doing something right! :?
He really did "something right " for Cambodia and khmer , did he?
That's worth some consideration. When I was young I thought Kissinger was a terrible guy. Then I looked into what was actually happening. In Cambodia the PAVN had been using Cambodian territory for years, and the bombing started because of their presence. Later the bombing was directed at the Kampuchean Communists (AKA Khmer Rouge). A huge proportion of the Cambodian population were caught up in Kampuchean Communist "Liberated Zones" during the civil war and after the introduction of "collectives" etc voted with their feet and evacuated to the cities. The bombing may have been excessive but was supported by the government and the majority of Cambodian citizens. It was the only thing that stopped the Kampuchean Communists taking over much earlier. Some may try to contend that the Kampuchean Communists were hardened by the bombing and while this may be true to some extent the unpopular policies that they started introducing predated the escalation of bombing in 1973 after the Paris Peace Accords. Internationally you often hear people complaining about the US foreign policy, and Cambodia is held up as a shining example. In real life I have rarely heard any Cambodian complain about US support in the early 70s. Most I know appreciated the help even if it didn't stop the onslaught which later came from within.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Ballsy input, no one wants to hear anything like the unpopular probably pretty damn air tight summation you've laid out here Sir, as always I yield and thank you for saving me from a crash course- the only ugly residue about this period that is still injected into open butterfly minds is the repetition of the slam the usa story that some mopes will pick up on and smear all over themselves and everywhere as a kind of rotten shit, stolen and self declared victory for the lost and undereducated.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

bossho wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:00 pm Oh, definitely take your place in that line then, you didnt mention that most salient part, I mean you can just shoot all logic out of the sky now and lay the whole damn thing off on Mr Kissinger because you are one of the holy, well, once removed, I guess, sort of- i mean it's affected you and regardless what anyone else in a parallel position of authority did back then you can just always remember that you carry a very special card in your pocket against any and all arguements regarding the USA's National Sec. Advisor's role in the bombings here during his post. Even if you lose you win because Henry did it and you know it's true. No one can take that away from you now or ever. My God, I had no idea, my fomenting apology to you and all the blameless.
Not sure who you're ranting to, but I'll take the ball.

I wasn't here when the Americans bombed the hell out of this province, all I can say is where I live around every 50 meters you will find a crater. Some large, some smaller, but you can trace the route the plane flew quite precisely. All relics from the carpet bombing which once happened here.
The craters are annoying, and expensive to fill, but the real danger starts when there's no crater. That's when I, and the locals, get suspicious. Maybe the Americans loading the bombs on the plane forgot to load one, maybe it never fell, but both are extremely unlikely. Most likely one of those f*ckers is buried deep in the soil waiting for the right time to do its' work.

I admit I have historic information as hindsight which Kissinger didn't have at the time, but if he would have given it a little bit more thought he could have guessed carpet bombing a densely forested area isn't the most efficient way to win a war.

Anyway, I'm one of the lucky ones. The only way the Vietnam war effected my live was the fact I spent money on 17 trucks of soil.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

@Kammekor my rants have been @orussey98 , other than when your previous joke was not funny but may have been funny if it were funny, i think its great that you personalize this but I find it desperate and lacking to not acknowledge an adult's view (normally you are an adult on here) on this i.e. when JB graciously offered his analysis. Shame I have to point out that you willingly bought land after the bombings.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

(I would love to refight the Indochina war - and call out the imo ethically untenable minority/apologist position that JB takes - but this thread's subject was meant to be about the new dialogue that is currently happening between USA and China >> because everybody except the most slavering war mongers knows that what Kissinger says is correct (in this case). War between USA and China would be a global catastrophe.)

Australia left shooting blanks as US and China seek political ceasefire

By Eryk Bagshaw
November 20, 2021 — 4.00am

Singapore: The day after Chinese President Xi Jinping and US President Joe Biden met for three hours of the most candid talks between the two superpowers in years, the European Union quietly shelved its plans to upgrade its trade ties with Taiwan.

Brussels, suddenly aware of its position in the spotlight leading negotiations with a democratic island that Beijing claims as its own, pulled back as China and the US turned confrontation into dialogue.

Australia, which has led the charge in the Indo-Pacific against Beijing’s economic coercion, human rights abuse, national security threats and COVID-19, does not have a similar lever to pull. As the world’s two superpowers attempt to negotiate a new strategic equivalence, Australia has fired almost all the shots in its diplomatic barrel and is now left holding a round of blanks.

SMH
https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/austr ... 59afm.html

That's what happens when you believe the bullshit posturing of The Great Powers, get hysterical, and loose your cool too quick.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

JB has the balls and the skills to tell the truth. JB's position is not untenable nor is he an apologist- grow up someday old man, I half wish i submitted my drafted post mostly to you when you projected PTSD onto everyone here when I went off on Mr B for being a quick study and not doing his OWN homework on such subjects- really, GROW the f up, you cannot remain an intellectual child forever. Skip the lengthy retorts too please just plane it into something worthy if you have to but lay off me with your morality and theoretical re plays and most of all leave me out of your psychological projections and own it yourself.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic