Satellite photos show rapid construction at military base where US has 'serious concerns' about China's presence

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Satellite photos show rapid construction at military base where US has 'serious concerns' about China's presence

Post by nemo »

couple of sheds
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Re: Satellite photos show rapid construction at military base where US has 'serious concerns' about China's presence

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Mostcurious wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:03 pm It would be interesting to know what US assets they are talking about.
While my own knowledge of Cambodia and it’s officials has me nowhere near as informed as I was when I was in Bangladesh, it would not surprise me were I to hear that senior government and military posts here were held by folks with dual nationality, and that they maintained significant holdings overseas as well as at home. Some senior people in Dhaka openly boasted about how they played the two systems, whether they were dual Bengali/US, /Aus, /NZ, or /UK passport holders.

Just recently, laws have been passed here in Cambodia making dual nationality verboten for certain senior positions..
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Here are some satellite images of Ream over the past 8 years from Google Earth. I can't see any major changes. There are a few new small buildings. The pier is exactly the same. :?

There is a 3 km airstrip that has been extended from an older one nearby though... :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Yep JB, 'nailed it.
It is the Sihanoukville International Airport that is the biggest danger to national security on the coast.

When it comes, and it will - the next phase of Chinese tourist growth and development will probably make the current Shitsville developments look like a little Lego game for teddy bears by the seaside. It will be monstrous.

Meanwhile some of our military fixated monkeys keep playing their mischievous silly games, like this sudden bullshit corruption "concern", and won't even notice the whole flocking real invasion fleet flying in.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

US issues Cambodia corruption advisory, sanctions officials over navy base:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/world/us-i ... 84303.html
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

No Chinese aircraft carriers tied up to the tourist jetty at Botum Sakor to bomb.
Mmm..

The squadrons of Chinese H-6 havn't arrived to test out the totally unprotected, standard tourist length, runway at the new "military grade" (minus the infrastructure) Kiri Sakor airfield just yet.
So we can't straff 'em on the strip.
Hmmm...

Not much actual action happening at Ream.
Nuthin'. Damnation!!

I know.... We'll ban a couple of "corrupt officials" (<< :ROFL: ) from visiting Disneyland.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:53 pm Here are some satellite images of Ream over the past 8 years from Google Earth. I can't see any major changes. There are a few new small buildings. The pier is exactly the same. :?

There is a 3 km airstrip that has been extended from an older one nearby though... :?

Not much to comment on, until you look at the images in Tor Browser over Onion router with transparency maxed all the way out and you use JB's mustache hairs as the optic viewing chamber then you can see what I see but was not able to screenshot effectively. I highlighted where to look for what appears to be Chairman Mao riding a donkey that looks like Dubbya Bush. In the reflection of Mao's eye you can see what appears to be hell frozen over and pigs are flying, in between the 7 or 8 teeth in his entire mouth it also appears he is clenching a wooden nickel with a very realistic looking Charles Bronson likeness on the visible side of the wooden nickel, its animated, and as Mao chews into the wooden nickel he appears to lose power and Bronson is coming to life with each maloccluded bite, each off track bite starts a tempo that the now life size Bronson kicks the remaining teeth out of the slowing Sino Patriarch's diseased mouth and Dubbya becomes a gallant white steed of 18 hands with Mao morphing into what appears to be a type of fungi that sucks at the horse dung now behind the horse and Bronson looking like a great warrior in Jeans and black t shirt with moccassins and a great dagger in his strong white teeth. Least that's what I saw, I swear.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News(Phnom Penh): On 12 November 2021, the spokesman of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of Cambodia issued a statement strongly rejecting the US sanctions on two senior military officers levied for geopolitical reasons.

1. The Ministry categorically denies that the United States has jurisdiction over Cambodian officials and that allegations made were baseless and purely for geopolitical reasons.
2. The United States' unilateral campaign of sanctioning public individuals of a sovereign state not only violates international law and the fundamental standards of international relations but also shows a complete disgrace to independence and is a serious interference of the internal affairs of other countries.
3. The sanctions are in violation of the UN Human Rights Council Resolution (46/5) adopted in March 2021, which strongly condemns the continued use of unilateral coercive measures of some powers as a tool to put pressure on the least developed and developing countries to prevent them from exercising their right to self-determination in their political, economic, and social systems.
4. Cambodia has always expressed a desire to have a stronger and closer relationship, despite its painful past with the United States. This week, the US State Department expressed its interest in "working together with Cambodia as the next ASEAN chair." However, the sanctions imposed illegally were another step in the wrong direction, completely deviating from the spirit of friendship and renewed efforts to promote fruitful partnership on common interests between the two countries.
ImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

"... unilateral coercive measures of some powers as a tool to put pressure on the least developed and developing countries to prevent them from exercising their right to self-determination in their political, economic, and social systems" (^^^)

Hmmm..
for discussion

You gotta say this is an extremely arbitrary action, at the very least.
"Two corrupt officials' - plucked from the millions all over the planet.

Just like demanding the right to inspect a foreign sovereign nation's military facilities.
Ludicrous. Obviously ludicrous - It looks to me that 'State' is desperately casting about for any excuse in trying to pick a fight with Cambodia.

Playing greater geopolitical games with Cambodia selected as the proxy battlefield. Again. (ffs)
They insult us all by coming up with these, such obviously bullshit, reasons - in the hope of turning our hearts against Cambodia too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic