Cooked Breakfast

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cooked Breakfast

Post by AndyKK »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:45 am This thread is like an English culinary meme.

English people: "God, no one can do a proper fry-up. The sausages aren't right, there's always something missing. Life is hard".

Also English people: *orders eggs benedict and breakfast via Food Panda without blinking an eye. Uses the most basic cardboard bread for the traditional fry up*
I think Strokesys Meat has very good English sausages, Cumberland were the last ones I bought.

Strokesys Meat
012 859 810
https://maps.app.goo.gl/zwxmhPLhbn2VfW9V6
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bongmab69 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:22 pm About the english black pudding: the french call it boudin noir, what, i think, is exactly the same, or not ?? If so, i would be 100% sure, the french place "la ferme du bassac" on 178 has some marvellous boudin noir. if your estomac doesnt turn upside-down thinking you eat english black pudding from a french restaurant, i would give it a try !! Me, being belgian, i would feel bad also to eat belgian fries from a dutch chips-shop !! ??
Yes, it looks very similar. Thanks for the heads-up about Ferme du Bassac. It makes sense as they have a pig farm up north which supplies they butchers shop on 144, so they have a lot of pigs bloods available.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:45 am This thread is like an English culinary meme.

English people: "God, no one can do a proper fry-up. The sausages aren't right, there's always something missing. Life is hard".

Also English people: *orders eggs benedict and breakfast via Food Panda without blinking an eye. Uses the most basic cardboard bread for the traditional fry up*
Eggs Benedict has no place on a fry-up, that's foreign food.

And nobody in the right mind orders a fry-up to be delivered. Except Andy, who should be hanging his head in shame for posting pictures of that monstrosity. @AndyKK what were you thinking??

As for the bread, it doesn't matter if it is cardboard or some poncy shit, when it is fried it compensates for any shortcomings. And fried bread is the only bread you should find on the plate.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

What were I thinking? Well first thing was a good breakfast. But it was not to be, infact my partner love's a good English breakfast. I ordered two, but when I went to the fridge last night, her's was sitting there untouched. It doesn't surprise me.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Doc67 wrote:

Eggs Benedict has no place on a fry-up, that's foreign food.

And nobody in the right mind orders a fry-up to be delivered. Except Andy, who should be hanging his head in shame for posting pictures of that monstrosity. [mention]AndyKK[/mention] what were you thinking??

As for the bread, it doesn't matter if it is cardboard or some poncy shit, when it is fried it compensates for any shortcomings. And fried bread is the only bread you should find on the plate.
I was merely joking, but someone did post a picture of delivered eggs benedict. I mean, any emulsified sauce doesn't do well with travelling, especially hollandaise. It's shocking anyone would order that. Same for eggs, unless you overcook them for a cheap rice and pork or something.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Yes, I too am guilty of the eggs! But that was not a bad meal at all.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Due to my extensive research, I can say the best Full English, in terms of taste,(quality), value for money and ambience (yeah, I'm overdoing this) is The Front Bar on st 118, Riverside. The sausage and bacon are decent quality (most important factors), nice mushrooms, grilled tomatoes. Only I egg, should be 2 surely. I slice of toast, baked beans. No black pudding. Hash brown. $5.50. Pretty waitresses.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:21 am
AndyKK wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:44 am I went over to The Rising Sun on 178 Street, I confess that I have a soft spot for the place.
The half breakfast looks ok, was that what you had?

That place is very close to me, I might check it out.
Rising Sun is always good value - has been for years.

The homemade pies are huge and super tasty, Sunday roasts also good value as well as the grilled pork chops. Def English oriented food.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

kgbagent wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:24 pm
AndyKK wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:44 am I went over to The Rising Sun on 178 Street, I confess that I have a soft spot for the place.

The homemade pies are huge and super tasty, Sunday roasts also good value as well as the grilled pork chops. Def English oriented food.
Yes, I must admit all the food's you mention I have participated in over a number of years, but not on any regular basis. Also my Khmer partner enjoys the small number of Asian dishes they serve, that is if she is not eating their excellent sausage and mash.
Just to add something, the Covid19 situation has hit many businesses in a big way, more so the places around riverside who would serve the abundant tourist trade like the restaurant mentioned hear, one of many expat establishment's that I understand have not been granted any rent rebate throughout this time.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:22 pm
kgbagent wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:24 pm

Yes, I must admit all the food's you mention I have participated in over a number of years, but not on any regular basis. Also my Khmer partner enjoys the small number of Asian dishes they serve, that is if she is not eating their excellent sausage and mash.
Just to add something, the Covid19 situation has hit many businesses in a big way, more so the places around riverside who would serve the abundant tourist trade like the restaurant mentioned hear, one of many expat establishment's that I understand have not been granted any rent rebate throughout this time.
That is a shame about the rent - she is a lovely owner and works hard.

If eating with Khmer they can get food delivered from the busy soup and noodle shop opposite no problem
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic