Denied access to funds from Bangkok Bank

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Denied access to funds from Bangkok Bank

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Good morning.

When I left Thailand I expected to return regularly for holidays. The closed border left part of my Thai retirement extension surety in my account at Bangkok Bank.

Every month I’ve been in Cambodia I’ve withdrawn my monthly maximum without issue.

Last month I started getting a ‘Invalid Account Number’ notice at the ATM.
I’ve tried every bank in Kampot every week for the past 5 weeks and still I’m unable to access my money .... There is plenty there so that definitely isn’t the issue. Perhaps naively, I had hoped it was just a computer glitch that would solve itself.

So I have a few questions:

A) Has anything like this happened to someone here, and did you find a solution ?
B) I heard it’s wasted time visiting the Bangkok Bank branch in PP as they don’t deal in/with personal accounts.

Before I start firing off emails or making phone calls to answering machines in Thailand I’d like to hear from any expats here who might have solved a similar problem.

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments and/or advice.

Danny
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Denied access to funds from Bangkok Bank

Post by Ozinasia »

Kasikorn did similar thing to me, reason was they changed the cards so no magnetic strip but advised everyone they have like 21 days to bring in old card and change for new one well that is all fine but of course if out of country your screwed as I was .
Until now my card is frozen as are my funds, luckily I left only a minimal amount in there to maintain the account.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:58 am Good morning.

When I left Thailand I expected to return regularly for holidays. The closed border left part of my Thai retirement extension surety in my account at Bangkok Bank.

Every month I’ve been in Cambodia I’ve withdrawn my monthly maximum without issue.

I’ve tried every bank in Kampot every week for the past 5 weeks and still I’m unable to access my money .... There is plenty there so that definitely isn’t the issue. Perhaps naively, I had hoped it was just a computer glitch that would solve itself.

A) Has anything like this happened to someone here, and did you find a solution ?
B) I heard it’s wasted time visiting the Bangkok Bank branch in PP as they don’t deal in/with personal accounts.

Before I start firing off emails or making phone calls to answering machines in Thailand I’d like to hear from any expats here who might have solved a similar problem.

Danny
Similar issue with Bangkok Bank earlier this year. I managed to resolve it very easily over the phone. The Bangkok Bank call centre is very good actually, I have never had to wait in a queue very long and the level of English is also good. You won't be going to an answering machine. Call them in the first instance rather than sending an email - email will just be adding more steps into getting a resolution than is neccesary.

Correct on Bangkok Bank's commercial branch in PP. Not their business remit to deal with consumer accounts.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

bangkok bank has online service , which is very good.
have you accessed it?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Ozinasia wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:31 am Kasikorn did similar thing to me, reason was they changed the cards so no magnetic strip but advised everyone they have like 21 days to bring in old card and change for new one well that is all fine but of course if out of country your screwed as I was .
Until now my card is frozen as are my funds, luckily I left only a minimal amount in there to maintain the account.
Thanks for the quick response.
I hope my problem isn’t the same, there is enough funds there I’d regret losing it.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:02 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:58 am Good morning.

Danny
Similar issue with Bangkok Bank earlier this year. I managed to resolve it very easily over the phone. The Bangkok Bank call centre is very good actually, I have never had to wait in a queue very long and the level of English is also good. You won't be going to an answering machine. Call them in the first instance rather than sending an email - email will just be adding more steps into getting a resolution than is neccesary.

Correct on Bangkok Bank's commercial branch in PP. Not their business remit to deal with consumer accounts.
Thanks for that encouraging news ..... I googled the ph# and will call in the morning. :-)
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:58 pm bangkok bank has online service , which is very good.
have you accessed it?
Online Customer Service ?
I couldn’t find a url .....
I’m not a very good typist but if you have a link I’ll give it a try.
Thanks
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:35 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:58 pm bangkok bank has online service , which is very good.
have you accessed it?
Online Customer Service ?
I couldn’t find a url .....
I’m not a very good typist but if you have a link I’ll give it a try.
Thanks
what i meant was Bangkok bank offers an online service for ur account ( same like most banks nowadays)
but you need to have signed up.
https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal ... g-iBanking
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

What exactly does withdrawing the monthly maximum mean? There's no such thing with Bangkok Bank. There's a daily limit and there's a limit per transaction.

As others have recommended, call them. Their call center staff is quite good from my experience.

Do you use their Bualuang app? That would give you additional ways to access your funds, in case your card is toast for whatever reason.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic