Public transport is back

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Public transport is back

Post by Pizzalover »

Public transport is back.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50963738/p ... es-resume/

November 3, 2021
PP public transport services resume
Sen David / Khmer Times
A man has his temperature taken prior to boarding a city bus. KT/Siv Channa
Click here to get Khmer Times Breaking News direct into your Telegram
Facebook
Twitter
Email

Phnom Penh Autonomous Bus Transportation (PPABT) began resuming public bus and boat services yesterday.

The re-openings follow the services suspension for almost two years, brought about as safety measures relating to the spread of Covid-19 in the community.

On March 26 last year, Phnom Penh City Hall temporarily suspended public bus and water-taxi services.

Director Ean Sokhim said in a statement that the PPABT will allow people to ride the city bus and boat services for free for six days, from yesterday to November 7. Following this period, passengers will be charged as usual from November 8. Travel is free for monks, the elderly, children, garment workers, professional athletes, and teachers.

Sokhim said that all passengers must comply with the prescribed health measures. These include showing vaccination cards, wearing masks, and sitting in allocated seats, to maintain social distancing measures.

The buses run on many routes through Phnom Penh, from Russey Keo in the North, to Takhmao in the South. City Hall has 235 buses operating along 13 lines in Phnom Penh.

Sam Samoeun, an office worker, said that he commuted to work with the bus service. He says it is good that City Hall has allowed the city buses to operate again.

“I saw that the buses were well prepared. I had to show my vaccination card, wear a mask, and the seats were prepared with spacing to prevent Covid-19,” he said.

He said that the bus did not load too many passengers, because of the social distance seating.

“I do not have any fear riding on public transport, because the seating is well organised, with plenty of gaps between spaces, and not too many people are allowed to board,” he said.

Thong Raskmy, a student, said that since schools re-opened, the bus services have also resumed and that this makes it easier for students to commute.

“Taking tuk tuks to school costs me a lot of money. With the buses running again, my journey to school is free. I am so pleased to travel to school this way,” he said.

Taning Channa, a retiree, said that she likes to use the bus when she has to go to hospital. “It is easy for me to ride the bus to hospital. It is a good public service. It has been a long time since I could ride the bus, due to Covid-19,” she said.

Bun Thoeun, city bus driver, said that he is pleased to come back to work as a driver, after being suspended for nearly two years.

“I am happy to come back to work. The buses are well prepared with seats well marked and SOPs in place to protect the passengers from Covid-19,” he said.

The reopening of public bus and boat services came after Prime Minister HE instructed Phnom Penh authorities to reopen the city.

Speaking at the launch of the vaccination campaign for five-year-old children at the Peace Palace on Monday, Mr HE said authorities should resume the operation of city buses.

“We should operate the city buses again to carry passengers,” he said.