top ten for SE Asia

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

top ten for SE Asia

Post by phuketrichard »

how many have you visited?

i got all but #3

Personally rank 1,5 & 8 at the top :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: top ten for SE Asia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Missing 6&7. My top is not on the list, would be Inle lake in Myanmar.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
sanjuro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by sanjuro »

These get slapped together so readily lately.

Almost like "Top ten caribbean islands", "top ten places in europe" "top ten jellybeans" & so on (but, here I am!).

I take it as another plug for the "ooo ahhh" after covid lifts next (year of the tiger) year supporting the forced illusion that Cambodia is, the new, "Asian Tiger".

I hear Indonesia's economy is doing significantly better.

I like how ten is just like "Singapore".

It's all vaguely religious too which is amusing.

Oh rght, to answer your question, I've been to six of them. All have their perks, what comes to mind is crossing paths by bus a couple times with well armed squads of pinoy soldiers doing single file manuevers hunting commies in the terraces (as in cross bandoliers of M60 belts). That and the juxtapoze of conifers, rice paddies & banana trees.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Chuck Borris wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:59 pm Missing 6&7. My top is not on the list, would be Inle lake in Myanmar.
Funny you mentioned Inle, was there in 2018 and i have to say its my least favorite place in Burma, Way to touristy for me.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Chuck Borris wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:59 pm Missing 6&7. My top is not on the list, would be Inle lake in Myanmar.
Agreed about Inle lake. Truly stunning.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:55 pm
Funny you mentioned Inle, was there in 2018 and i have to say its my least favorite place in Burma, Way to touristy for me.
Cant be more touristy than Angkor Wat or Bagan.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Not too bad, compared to some other places in SE Asia. The government put a stop to new hotels and resorts.

Having said that, I liked Inle more during my first visit in 2008 or 2009 when the market was still a market, not a souvenir shop for the bus loads of cruise tourists.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Chuck Borris wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:08 pm
What stood out was Inle was the only city, outside Yangon, that had hostels and happy hours at some restaurants.
the boat tours are great, but you have to really be tough with ur boat guide NOT to take you to all the crappy tourist sales outlets where they get a commision,.
and forget about getting a good photo of the guy's rowing with their legs without paying $$$
PLUS the movable on the water market, was the only real market i saw touristy stuff sold
Just seemed like of all the places i visited in Burma, Inle is the most set up for backpackers/tourists

early morning balloon tours are nice if you have the $$

I found much nicer non touristy locations on the chindwin river, in the Chin state and south from Kyaithkya by RR, sea an bus to Kwathoung
take a view of Burma thrun my lens
https://phuket.zenfolio.com/f125862719
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:10 pm
Chuck Borris wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:08 pm
What stood out was Inle was the only city, outside Yangon, that had hostels and happy hours at some restaurants.
the boat tours are great, but you have to really be tough with ur boat guide NOT to take you to all the crappy tourist sales outlets where they get a commision,.
and forget about getting a good photo of the guy's rowing with their legs without paying $$$
PLUS the movable on the water market, was the only real market i saw touristy stuff sold
Just seemed like of all the places i visited in Burma, Inle is the most set up for backpackers/tourists

early morning balloon tours are nice if you have the $$

I found much nicer non touristy locations on the chindwin river, in the Chin state and south from Kyaithkya by RR, sea an bus to Kwathoung
take a view of Burma thrun my lens
https://phuket.zenfolio.com/f125862719
Nice photos! I loved in Myanmar, was hoping to go there soon again. Not looks like atm.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic