How safe is Kampot nowadays?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: How safe is Kampot nowadays?

Post by Doc67 »

Happy2 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:26 pm Yes but surely someone can give a decent approximation of what’s actually going on.

I.e. vs Phnom Penh. Vs. kampot 1 year ago, etc.

I mean here in Phnom Penh I haven’t heard any such stories as I hear from Kampot? And I assume there are much more foreigners in the capital than Kampot?
I always found that Risk Factor increases with the PM time.

1pm Lunch...Risk Factor 1 Most of the assholes are still sleeping it off (watch out for all nighters)

6pm Dinner... Risk Factor 6... Some heavy drinkers/druggies might have got started early and are now playing up, but usually just normal people. And so on and so forth until 6AM after which the daylight start the reset.

00:00 to 06:00 is where the vast majority of trouble occurs when compared to the number of people out at that time and that is true of just about everywhere.

Personally, I would be much more concerned about the journey there and back. Are you riding a bike there by any chance?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

There are lots of scary street dogs in Kampot.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Sihanoukville would be much safer and more exciting.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:14 am There are lots of scary street dogs in Kampot.
really?
i've been in and out of kampot weekly for over 3 months, never out there later than 8 pm.
lots of westerners around, beggars and some crazies talking to themselves>
seems all the thefts are very late ( or early morning)
lots more places opened in the past 2 weeks, ( bars, new grocery stores, restaurants,( seems more of them than customers thou)

roads are good but has to have the worst drivers i have seen in SE Asia.

Simons has the best indian food in the area
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:13 pm I was staying on a friend's farm in the hills of Kampot, he was the GRK commander for the district. It was a moonlit night so I decided to go for a stroll along the road up the hill. I hadn't gone far when a crazy tattooed guy in just a krama with a machete popped out ahead of me. He was screaming while heading towards me. I decided to go back to the house - at a brisk pace. That was in 2009. Almost the exact same thing happened to me in Prey Veng in broad daylight a few years before that except he just had a big stick. The boonies are full of savages. :?
Maybe stop going out in your 30k of gold necklaces big boss
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I'd say Phnom Penh is way more dangerous than Kampot, especially after 10pm. But most of the expats in PP are streetwise and there are no tourists. Chinese are actually common victims.

In Kampot, there is a bubble of young expats that want to live their Western way without so much adaptation, so that exposes them to more danger. However, if they lived like that in PP, they'd be lambs to the slaughter.

In rate of change terms, yes probably Kampot has got worse, but from a low base.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:14 am There are lots of scary street dogs in Kampot.
This is true. I heard about one they call Snoopy that has more than a few expats on his consciousness. Dogs was always the most dangerous part of Kampot, but some of us survived still!
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I think both PP and Kampot have both felt less safe after dark with less people around
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic