Computer teacher near Russian Market

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
Woolfie
Tourist
Great Britain

Computer teacher near Russian Market

Post by Woolfie »

Home schooling our 12 year old English son - looking for teacher a couple hours per week to give his coding skills purpose, any day/time, near Phnom Penh Sports Club
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Computer teacher near Russian Market

Post by ofparadise »

Well, I started around that age, although it was more of trying to crack games to show my friends.

So, what kind of intensity are you looking for?

Competitive, Problem solving, Career building... because those are not the same and the type of instruction will be different.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ofparadise wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:53 pm Well, I started around that age, although it was more of trying to crack games to show my friends.

So, what kind of intensity are you looking for?

Competitive, Problem solving, Career building... because those are not the same and the type of instruction will be different.
So which approach did you choose at the age of 12? Competitive, Problem solving, Career building?

Would you recommend the same approach you chose back then, or another one?
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

Problem solving. I just enjoyed magic tricks and computers seemed like the best magic trick out there. And I have to thank the early boxes for bundling BASIC editors. And I never wanted to get into coding. Just did it for fun. But life has other plans.
Kammekor wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:40 pm So which approach did you choose at the age of 12? Competitive, Problem solving, Career building?
It depends on the individual. Most I'd recommend "problem solving", and a few may be best for "competitive".
Kammekor wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:40 pm Would you recommend the same approach you chose back then, or another one?
donner-kruger
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by donner-kruger »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:40 pm So which approach did you choose at the age of 12? Competitive, Problem solving, Career building?

Would you recommend the same approach you chose back then, or another one?
I would recommend whatever your kid likes doing. Did your kid show interest in this or is it something you're trying to push? Either way, they are overlapping fields. You can start at one end and whatever the final outcome the knowledge learned will be beneficial. Although the other poster does have a point. The fields are different.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Woolfie wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:41 am Home schooling our 12 year old English son - looking for teacher a couple hours per week to give his coding skills purpose, any day/time, near Phnom Penh Sports Club
"to give his coding skills purpose"
This, to me, indicates he has some coding skills already.
Could you elaborate on what they are?

I really don't have time to spare but I have a Grade 8 student who is writing code in LUA for ROBLOX and I am trying to arrange an hour at the weekend to move him on to Javascript.
Coding is not just about the code. It is about the ability to think something through and put it into logical, ordered steps. My student has this ability and he sent me a sample of the code he has written.

In his example I asked him to explain each step, which was done to see if he could put his code into words. It was a check to see if he actually wrote the code or was just copy pasting it.
He does this in his free time and I have offered to help him but it won't actually involve much "teaching" as he will probably teach himself.

My point is, if he has an interest then he won't need much teaching just a little guiding and nudging.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

As IraHayes says, it's really more down to guiding a student. I teach Arduino projects and Science subjects online, and I also code and create projects using C+, Java, Python etc. Several times, young students (or their parents) ask me to teach coding to their offspring. I reply that I can't (and I won't), because IMHO, the best way to learn to code is to initially take someone else's working code, understand what it all means, and then change that code in some way to understand how the code changes affect the outcome. "Learn by doing", with only a guiding hand to help the student learn the importance of coding layout, design, meaningful comments etc in their code.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

simon43 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:09 am As IraHayes says, it's really more down to guiding a student. I teach Arduino projects and Science subjects online, and I also code and create projects using C+, Java, Python etc. Several times, young students (or their parents) ask me to teach coding to their offspring. I reply that I can't (and I won't), because IMHO, the best way to learn to code is to initially take someone else's working code, understand what it all means, and then change that code in some way to understand how the code changes affect the outcome. "Learn by doing", with only a guiding hand to help the student learn the importance of coding layout, design, meaningful comments etc in their code.
That might work fine for people with a certain learning style, but for 80% it will lead to nothing but giving up. Talking from experience here.

All languages have specific strengths, weaknesses and odds. Not even talking about pitfalls in the syntax.
Some guidance on those can speed up learning quite a lot in my experience.

A good coding tutor also will come up with intelligent, faster algorithms the student will never come up with by him / herself initially.
RorschachRev
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by RorschachRev »

A lot of programming can be "taught" but that doesn't make someone a programmer. The real issue is teaching people to think. I gave job interviews to college educated "programmers" and handed them a bag of M&Ms. Asked them to sort them, no other instructions. Each method I described what aspect of the sorting process they optimized - for example people would trade speed for lower cache and memory requirements, by picking the M&M out one at a time. Then i asked them to optimize one of the other parameters instead of the first one. (Spend more cache, but no extra memory - they put two or three in hand.) The best personality test was a 3D puzzle that nobody had solved. I gave them 5 minutes to put together the puzzle (it was designed for 20-30 minutes) and just watched the approach. I found that their *approach* always mirrored their development style. One guy tried to goolge the answer, all he ever did was download other people's code and fail to implement it correctly. One guy tried forcing the pieces in, every project he worked on he tried to hide the errors in his project, etc.

I don't think that I could "give his programming purpose" but I may be able to help him discover his own purpose. Usually that is building on something that he's interested in, and seeing tangible results. When I do this with kids, I typically fix any bugs they have and let them focus on more of the creative practice, but show how I fixed each bug.

I am not in Cambodia yet, I'm thinking about arriving in January from S Korea.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic