Looking for a reputable Customs clearance agent

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Looking for a reputable Customs clearance agent

Post by Ozinasia »

Can any BM here recommend a reputable customs clearance agent ?
I have emailed 4 I found on face book and got 4 different answers on import duty !! :bow:
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: Looking for a reputable Customs clearance agent

Post by TWY »

And they each may be telling you the truth!
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

One says duty 50% , one says 30% one says was 30% its reduced now to 10% the last one says 70% !!!
Confused ?? me ??
Yes sir I am.
Emails to the appropriate Government customs departments remain unanswered ..
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Go to Vatanac tower, you'll find one.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Officially...
There are only 4 levels of import duty in Cambodia, 0%, 7%, 15% and 35%.
Some goods are also subject to Special Tax, there are 10 levels of that ranging from 0% to 50%.
Then you have 10% VAT.
You should be aware that these are charged cumulatively, so the Customs value is $1000 and the rate duty is 7%, then you pay $70 duty and then VAT is charged on the duty paid value of $1070, so $107. Total paid $177 so equivalent to an overall rate of 17.7%.
The different rates above might be due to some agents combining the above for a total rate and some just quoting duty.
Did you give them the HS code (aka tariff number) for the goods or just a description? If only the description then they may have come up with different HS codes when they checked the Customs Tariff which lists all the rates
https://customs.gov.kh/en/publications/ ... bodia-2017
If you are not a registered company, assuming it's a small shipment then you can still clear it but there is a 20% premium added to the value.
The value for Customs is the price of the goods plus the freight charges up to the point of entry plus the transport insurance premium. If the last two items are not clear from the invoice or you freight paperwork then Customs may make their own assessment of those (normally 10% of the goods value for freight and 0.85% for the insurance). Customs also have a book that allocates the minimum allowed value to be declared for many items (by item or per kg or square meter or whatever), but that, I believe, is officially an internal document although there are copies hanging around in the offices of brokers. The exception are the values for vehicles which are now posted on the Customs website.

However... if this is a private importation and above the small trade value limits then you are into unofficial territory and different rules apply
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Thanks Bluenose,
Yes its an electric car I did send the HS code 18703 and I tried it on search in that same site it replied "not found"
This news article implies duty was 30% to be reduced to 10% https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/as ... s-proposed or recommended to be reduced at least. At 10% it works at 30% nope.
I'll ask my runner to Vatanac tower, Ghostwriter thanks, I prefer they don't see my white face at this point well at least not until I can confirm what I am up for.
I am having the same problem getting a trucking rate from Snooky port to Phnom Penh for a 40ft container sent several requests out by email since Monday until now not one has replied... seems all is to be accomplished on Farcebook which I personally abhor using particularly for business.
Appreciate the replies guys, if anyone has further to add comments are most welcome.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Have sent you PM
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Ozinasia wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:22 am Thanks Bluenose,
Yes its an electric car I did send the HS code 18703 and I tried it on search in that same site it replied "not found"
This news article implies duty was 30% to be reduced to 10% https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/as ... s-proposed or recommended to be reduced at least. At 10% it works at 30% nope.
I'll ask my runner to Vatanac tower, Ghostwriter thanks, I prefer they don't see my white face at this point well at least not until I can confirm what I am up for.
I am having the same problem getting a trucking rate from Snooky port to Phnom Penh for a 40ft container sent several requests out by email since Monday until now not one has replied... seems all is to be accomplished on Farcebook which I personally abhor using particularly for business.
Appreciate the replies guys, if anyone has further to add comments are most welcome.
Pretty sure it comes under 8703 80 and that has 35% duty, 10% Special Tax and 10% VAT.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

bloody codes correct code is HS code is 8703800000 if 55%
I am dead in the water wont work .
Other countries even Philippines its half that given Governments are supposed to be supporting the use of electric vehicles in Europe and I know no comparison most are NON VAT, most import duty free and even many offer subsidies.
10% special tax :facepalm: holy moly
nope wont happen if this is the case .
I need to dig deeper
Checking your PM appreciate it
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

I will offer you two import customs service agencies based on personal past experience:

1. Cam freight Services:
No. 85,St. 313, Boueng Kok 2 Ward, Toul Kork Dist, Phom Penh -Cambodia
Tel: (855) 97- 897 6789/16- 661 182
Email: [email protected]

2. BRIGHT STAR LOGISTICS CAMBODIA CO., LTD
#11B, ST.562, SANGKAT BOENGKOK II,
KHAN TOUL KOAK, PHNOM PENH 12151, CAMBODIA
TEL: 855-23 880588, FAX: 855-23 880577
MOB: 855-77 773385 & 855 69 77 3385
Email: [email protected]

Of the two, number 2 will be the bit more expensive but all communications can be conducted in English with Mr Sath. In addition to which, this company is very well connected politically which is always a positive. You get what you pay for.

Good luck. The rest is up to you.

OML
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic