Go to place, favourite meal

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Re: Go to place, favourite meal

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Anchor Moy wrote:Sihanoukville - Ochheuteal Beach - beachfront between JJs and Dolphin : beach-shack called Beachy. (blue lights)

Tried to find Khin's but ended up at Beachy. Another barbeque place, but great welcome - also fantastic scallops and the baked patatoes were crunchy outside, well-cooked inside. Not fancy, but cool place and we ate well. Will go again.

(And no one was up all night :) )
Dude, Khins #49 Shack ( as their sign says) is almost to the end of Ocheteal beach. They do have the sign but it is only a 1.5 meter high sandwich board style sign . They have a big area, about 2 shops. They are probably about 5-8 businesses before the end of Ocheteal .
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Our go to spot used to be L'Orchidee in Toul Tom Pong right in between St 155 and St 163. However, after almost 2 years of going there and getting pretty much nothing but their lasagna, I am sad to say that their food is not as consistently good as it used to be. I used to know, %100 that when I went to L'Orchidee, I was going to get some pretty damn good lasagna. To me, that was their western highlight/well known dish.

I know that the owner is very very busy with a side project. We used to go there a couple times per week just because it was so close and the 5pm rush hour makes it hard to get over to riverside areas.

ElevenOne Kitchen is owned by our landlord's family. Small portions, but pretty much everything is under $4. They are very forward thinking Khmers and are going they whole green route. We go there a lot now. Their new location over on the edge of Toul Tom Pong/Boeng Trabek is really lovely. The outdoor seating is great.(they are on google) Free mosquito spray as they do have a lot of green plants and vines growing.

On Saturday or Sunday Mornings, when traffic doesn't suck, I go over to Blue Dolphin for their breakfast. It is what it is. a $4 or $5, greasy, damn decent plate of breakfast foods. A cup of tea of coffee as well.

In Sihanoukville, Khin's Shack at the end of Ochheteal Beach has what my wife says is the best papaya salad she has tasted, I like their strong drinks and generously rolled spliffs. They have an entire happy menu. Also there is a place on the same beach there that brings out candles at night and has lovely beach seating. I am sure a few bring out the candles, but we always find this same one. They have a chicken curry ( red) that is one of the best I've ever tasted, and I seek out curry.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:

In Sihanoukville, Khin's Shack at the end of Ochheteal Beach has what my wife says is the best papaya salad she has tasted, I like their strong drinks and generously rolled spliffs. They have an entire happy menu.
Not Khin's you are thinking of mate. Possibly Chiva. Kihn's isn't at the end of the beach, don't do spliffs or a "Happy menu".
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Hotdigr wrote:
Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:

In Sihanoukville, Khin's Shack at the end of Ochheteal Beach has what my wife says is the best papaya salad she has tasted, I like their strong drinks and generously rolled spliffs. They have an entire happy menu.
Not Khin's you are thinking of mate. Possibly Chiva. Kihn's isn't at the end of the beach, don't do spliffs or a "Happy menu".
I've been to Khin's #49 Shack many times. Everything I said holds true. Agree to disagree. Was just there a month ago, bud. No big deal. Cheers.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

They def do spliffs and happy shakes. Not sure about a "happy menu", but I imagine you could get them to throw ganj in anything. I'll have to try the papaya salad. I'm a big som tum fan.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

wackyjacky wrote:They def do spliffs and happy shakes. Not sure about a "happy menu", but I imagine you could get them to throw ganj in anything. I'll have to try the papaya salad. I'm a big som tum fan.
There is 1 page, buried in the middle of their menu that list pizza, shakes, vodka buckets and "joint" including prices for each.
Feticheur
Tourist

Post by Feticheur »

Went to that beachy place a few days ago and although it has one rediculous name the barracuda was simply amazing. The coleslaw and the backed potatoe were also very tasty. Didn´t make it to Monkey Mark, was just not in the mood for a burger or steak. Maybe next time.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

som tam can have a problem.

the pickled ricefield crabs have some sort of intractable parasite that survives the pickle.

as in friends for life.

some types of prahoc have the same problem depending on the species used.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I've gotten sick a couple times & I checked it out a while back. 2 different type crabs are used - Mangrove & Freshwater (rice field). There's only parasites in the later. They look exactly the same to me. So you have to boil 'em for 5 minutes 1st. There's always Som Tum Thai which doesn't have the nasty little buggers in there & uses dried shrimp instead.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic