Somaly Mam is Starting a New NGO

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Somaly Mam is Starting a New NGO

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Disgraced anti-sex slavery crusader Mam unveils plans for new group

Disgraced Cambodian anti-sex trafficking activist Somaly Mam, who was forced to resign from her own foundation seven months ago amid reports her dramatic life story was fabricated, has unveiled plans to launch a new organization in January.

Mam became one of the world's best known campaigners against sex trafficking and set up the Somaly Mam Foundation seven years ago with offices in New York and Cambodia, using her tragic personal history to raise millions of dollars globally.

But the charismatic activist quit in May after a two-month investigation commissioned by her organization into assertions her heartbreaking autobiography, including years as a child sex slave, were in doubt, and the foundation closed in September.

Mam, however, in a statement e-mailed to supporters this week, said she planned next month to open a new non-government organization called The New Somaly Mam Fund: Voices for Change and was seeking funding.

Based in the United States and operating in Cambodia, she said it will blend elements of the former Somaly Mam Foundation and AFESIP, an acronym for Agir Pour Les Femmes en Situation Precaire or Helping Women in Danger, the anti-trafficking NGO Mam founded in 1996 and continues to operate.

"I am so grateful for all the friends who have not believed the allegations about me ... and are helping me figure out how to carry on helping girls in sexual slavery and those at risk for it," Mam said in the statement.

"We have worked non-stop to recover and reorganize."

Mam's resignation in May shocked her supporters, donors and anti-slavery crusaders who had never doubted her claims that she was sold into sexual slavery at a young age, raped and abused, spending years in a brothel as a prostitute.

Over the years Mam wrote a memoir, launched the Somaly Mam Foundation, and raised millions to help other girls, backed by a star-studded list of celebrities and politicians.

She resigned after a two-month probe by the law firm into her life story and after a Newsweek story entitled "Somaly Mam: The Holy Saint (and Sinner) of Sex Trafficking," offered documentation for a host of alleged falsehoods.

Silent at the time of her resignation, Mam later refuted the allegations of fraud in a September Marie Claire article.

"I hope that chapter is closed," Rigmor Schneider, co-founder and executive director of the new organization, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation in a phone interview.

Schneider, who worked at the Somaly Mam Foundation for three years, said she had directly questioned Mam - who will report in to her - about the fabrication allegations and stood by Mam.

"I am very comfortable that what she is saying is the truth," Schneider said without elaborating further.

The new organization will not rescue women and girls but collaborate with other NGOs to rehabilitate and educate them once they are free so they can find jobs, Schneider said.

The fund will operate two residential centers providing about 100 beds for trafficking survivors, one for women in Siem Riep and the other for underage girls in Kampong Cham.

Schneider said a third center in Phnom Penh was temporarily closed due to lack of funds formerly provided by the Somaly Mam Foundation.

A new board of directors has been selected which includes actress and activist Susan Sarandon, who formerly served on Mam's foundation advisory board.

"Basically what we're looking for now is funding," said Schneider.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSK ... 4?irpc=932
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Somaly Mam is Starting a New NGO

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Why am I not surprised...?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Why am I not surprised...?
Apparently the money's good.

:stir:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Ho Ho Ho
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic