Have you spent more or less this last year? (Poll)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Haver you spent more or less money this past year?

More.
19%
Less.
54%
Same.
23%
No idea.
4%

Total votes: 52
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Have you spent more or less this last year? (Poll)

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I've spent considerably less these last twelve to eighteen months what with the inability to travel. But I thought there might be others whose spending had increased as they tried to busy themselves with their normal lifestyle on hold.

What's it for you?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: Have you spent more or less this last year? (Poll)

Post by ItWasntMe »

Have to say same.

Way less in bars and such but a lot more in having a comfortable life style now that the social aspect is lacking. For instance I haven't owned a TV for many years but during COVID-19 I bought a big screen and setup Netflix etc. Lots of things like that which adds up even though spendings are down in other areas.

I think it works out to about the same in the end.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Past 12 months We've spent less but it comes down to not travelling.

We actually are spending more on food in terms of the market and grocery stores - I'm guessing food prices are up 10%+ on many things over the past year. But way less on restaurants. And zero on travel.

So not a huge reduction. The spending is much more consistent - just buying groceries and clothes for the kids and the occasional odd thing for the home/kitchen.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Spent a lot less. No travelling for one. I have also been stuck in Sa Pa for most of the time. It is a small town in North Vietnam and dining and shopping options are limited, to say the least.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

More, not a lot more, but definitely more than average - multiple quarantine's, PCR Testing, upgrading flights for comfort (which I never normally do), airport transit hotels (due to stupidly long transits), stocking up on duty-free liquor for the cabinet at home while alcohol sales were banned in PP (most of which ended up drunk in quarantine), home tutoring for the kids because wasn't gonna pay the full school fees for my kids to sit in front of a tablet trying to learn in online classes that went from 10 students to 20+ (yes Southbridge, I'm talking about you!), few additional land purchases (great time to buy, sad for the property owners who needed to sell though), some home renovations, a new smoker, more home comforts for the family since they've been stuck at home....and fuck knows what else :unknown:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It's been a case of staying around home, with no travel, not even to visit my partners family out in the stick's. It had crossed my mind on occasions, when there's been a chance, but I thought what if there is a lockdown, it means paying for two places, that's okay if it's for a week, just has you would do on holiday. But unfortunately at the time who knows how long it could last. Even worse if I was in the situation of being stuck out in the stick's with my partner's family.
Probably spent more on food, with many delivery orders. Also helping my family back home has they have had problems making ends meet with the pandemic.
I put on the poll about the same, but I have actually spent a lot more.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

I have spent a lot more than I used to. Being stuck at home I have made use of the time and have built myself an additional garage for 6 cars and paved the driveway with aspahlt. So all my travel money and then some spent at home.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Probably more or the same. Weekly groceries skyrocketed here (UK) mostly due to shortages. Even if the price tag doesn’t change, the shortages often meant buying two packs of 6 organic hand reared rare breed eggs instead of the usual dozen supermarket brand and suchlike. Even when in stock a lot of the special offers have dried up - the multibuy on Pepsi bottles was a staple for at least 25 years and vanished a few months ago. It’s ironic how supermarkets can benefit so much from shortages in their own supplies.

Then the last few months when lockdown ended we splurged massively on everything - lots of weekend trips, 5-star hotels, Michelin star restaurants, bunch of shows, etc, so now back to where we’d likely have been if covid never happened.

What’s worse is that a weekend trip to London or Dublin costs as much as a week in Phuket.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

A hell of a lot less No 2* month trip's to Aus to see kids and mate's ,No 2*2 weeks Pattaya holiday, have spent first 5 months this year in kep/Kampot doing stuff all then last 5 months at home with mother and haven't left the house except for groceries once every two weeks, so much for living your twilight years going out with a bang at the moment it's one big fizzle.
Yep may have saved a bit but lost heaps more time living.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Significantly less, to the extent that I've now got sufficient to maintain a similar existence for a short while, and assign more time to family.

Far too much time spent languishing non-productively in the UK, by obligation. If only the quarantine fiasco had ended sooner. I've progressed some car projects which had stalled due to workload. But it was mostly with parts stockpiled in the years previously. But I miss the travel opportunities.

Net decrease in monies spent, but not in any way balanced by time at home.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic