Grammar Nazis debate

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Grammar Nazis debate

Post by Freightdog »

Rather than take Rosco's plug off on a tangent, where a bit of mild humorous leg pulling might get a little tense, I'll drag this off to a Monday morning debate, here.
Yerg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:21 am Grammar and spelling Nazis. More important than a business trying to set up where English isn’t the first language. Classy. Leave them alone and let them try they’re beast. Their reeeely only trying to attract anywun hoo mite be prepared to spend a few $$$
To some extent, I might agree. But there is a growing tendency for people to write almost exactly as they speak. Or, worse, how they think they speak. And then it's left up to the recipient to correctly interpret their intended meaning.
With something simple, there's a fair chance that the interpretation is correct. When nothing goes awry, no problems arise, we're none the wiser.
Until the day when the message is a tad more obscure...
I'd like to offer that in a market where English isn't the first language, getting the simple English right (not rite, Wright, write) is important.

Writing 'Would of', 'should of' when instead it should've been would've (would have), should've (should have) An ever increasing problem.
It should, of course be should have or should've...

Their, there. It's easy enough done, and sometimes it is a simple spelling mistake. Sometimes, though, it's a fundamental misunderstanding as to which is correct.

Predictive texting (I've just picked one up as I write this; we're/were,) lends some casual acceptance that what is written is exactly as originally intended. I usually proof read my own contributions, but when a conversation is rather more spontaneous and dynamic, there is a sense of urgency to hit the submit. (and groan later when the glaring error stands out). Being distracted by something more pressing, when this task is of some importance never helps.

Over the last two decades, I've been immersed in a multi cultural mix, and freely admit that my written skills have slipped. Oddly, non-native English speakers frequently do a better job than those for whom English is their first language. There is more self critique involved. Not always, though.

Has anyone here spent much time in the company of Indians, or Bengalis/Pakistanis? There's a huge tendency for simple documents to be written using the most complex of terms, rather than keeping it simple. The key to success in most communications is the simplicity. Especially when the intended audience is of a very broad cross section of the population. Unless, of course there are lawyers involved.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Grammar Nazis debate

Post by John Bingham »

Some people are just ignorant and don't have any respect for the reader so they just write any garbage that comes into their head and expect the reader to decipher it.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

I confess to being bothered by bad grammar and incorrect spelling. I think it’s down to both my education where spelling mistakes were punished with poor grades or occasionally smacks on the palm of my hand with a ruler, and also my many years proof-reading marketing and editorial material for a large company.
I realise many people weren’t fortunate enough to have great teachers when they were learning English, and definitely in the last twenty years or so the emphasis on accurate spelling and correct grammar has seemingly declined in importance.
Usually I manage to resist pointing out language mistakes in posts but I do admit to being sorely tempted to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Smallgrammarindiscretionsdontbotherme
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:54 am Some people are just ignorant and don't have any respect for the reader so they just write any garbage that comes into their head and expect the reader to decipher it.
ur wrong..,,,
People of the world, spice up your life.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

You should wear raincoat when it's sunny.

I should wear them during the snowy weather.

The best time to use umbrella is on stormy day.

Thermometer is use to know if the weather is hot or cold.

(Q:) What can you do on a windy day?
(A:) You can fly kite.

What can you do in a snowy weather?

We can stay dry on a rainy day by carrying umbrella or wearing raincoats.

Which sentence is not correct about cloudy day?
There are plenty of clouds in the sky
The sun is less bright and less hot
Clouds has different shapes
We can do nothing on a cloudy day

Which sentence is not correct about windy day?
Some is very strong
Leaves cannot be blown by the wind
Winds can also be very dangerous
You can fly a kite.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:31 pm You should wear raincoat when it's sunny.
It worked for Columbo.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:54 am Some people are just ignorant and don't have any respect for the reader so they just write any garbage that comes into their head and expect the reader to decipher it.
I think the problem is partly down to everybody communicating electronically, by text, tweets etc, where people are trying to save time and space by abbreviating words/sentences and using emojis. Correct grammar/spelling, is it a ‘use it or lose it’ thing? (assuming they had it to lose in the first place)
But at least you have a chance at deciphering incorrect grammar and/or spelling when everything is type written. The handwriting of an awful lot of people these days (particularly the younger generations) is shockingly bad, combine that with incorrect grammar and/or spelling and you’d need a Rosetta Stone to read it.
Is handwriting even taught in school these days?
Apologies in advance for sounding like a miserable old bastard.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

I'll take de bait!
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I normally discount their opinions.