3 Chinese Women Arrested at Phnom Penh Airport for Baby Trafficking

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): Representatives of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court opened an investigation into three Chinese women on the afternoon of October 23, 2021, after the police force of the Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Department sent them to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court for trafficking Cambodian babies.

Authorities identified the three Chinese suspects as follows:
1. Name: LI BINGRONG, female, 39 years old,
2. Name: WEI QIUCHAN, female, 52 years old,
3. Name: ZHANG QIAN, female, 25 years old.

On the morning of October 20, 2021, the police force at the gate of Phnom Penh International Airport, on suspicion, arrested the three Chinese women named above in the case of committing a crime where they intended to fly across the border to China with three Cambodian babies.
After arresting the three Chinese women, the police at the Phnom Penh International Airport cooperated and handed over the three suspects, and the three infants, to the Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Department for further proceedings.
Currently, the case is in the hands of Mr. Soeur Lundy, Deputy Prosecutor, who is preparing to open an investigation, which is still on-going and has not yet been completed.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: 3 Chinese Women Arrested at Phnom Penh Airport for Baby Trafficking

Post by Darkcel »

The going rate for a local baby still 5-10k? Wonder how much they are in Chy-Nah
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

Darkcel wrote:The going rate for a local baby still 5-10k? Wonder how much they are in Chy-Nah
My understanding was it was about $400 in Kandal market for Khmers. That was a few years ago but I imagine covid has kept prices down. Many desperate families unable to feed all their kids. It’s quite common for kids to be given to distant family or even strangers to be permanently looked after if the original family is very poor.
I think at that same time a few years ago it was about $2K for barangs looking to acquire an ‘adopted’ Khmer baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

If you just look at what is expected! The young couples get married and naturally have children. But in Asia it's well known that there's a large chance the mother will be alone with the child. The father probably didn't want the responsibility. But this is not a first world country were there would be some type of help for a single mother, here they have their family only for support, and the family and the mother naturally only want the best for the youngster. I also thought it was against the law for a mother to sell her baby. But is it that a legal representation for this type of action make it a legal transaction, has long has the representative party gets their fee.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

3 Chinese ladies (including a 52 y.o) going to fly away each one with a baby, yeah, i surely hope that rings a bell in someone's head at the airport, otherwise one might ask up to which point is the country to sell ?

Land, wood, nature, business, health, babies, organs, you name it, they move it.

Cambodia is dessolving faaast.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Well to be fair surrogacy was banned as soon as it came on the radar about a decade ago. The fact that three infants were found doesn't really show any decline. Maybe it happens a lot more than we know but we can't make that conclusion without knowing.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:44 pm Well to be fair surrogacy was banned as soon as it came on the radar about a decade ago. The fact that three infants were found doesn't really show any decline. Maybe it happens a lot more than we know but we can't make that conclusion without knowing.
People giving-up babies is already a sign of decline, but maybe i wouldn't have said a thing if these three were of different nationalities.
But like this, looks like a garage sale of the country to another. An opaque one, on top of that.

I hope the ladies get fined, and the babies returned to their families with the fine's money as a help.
Yeah, i dream.
It's sunday after all.
LoukBongThom
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by LoukBongThom »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:37 pm Land, wood, nature, business, health, babies, organs, you name it, they move it.

Cambodia is dessolving faaast.
You missed abduction, torture, scams, ... :-) We have to appreciate their creative minds though :BangHead:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

jah steu wrote:
Darkcel wrote:The going rate for a local baby still 5-10k? Wonder how much they are in Chy-Nah
My understanding was it was about $400 in Kandal market for Khmers. That was a few years ago but I imagine covid has kept prices down. Many desperate families unable to feed all their kids. It’s quite common for kids to be given to distant family or even strangers to be permanently looked after if the original family is very poor.
I think at that same time a few years ago it was about $2K for barangs looking to acquire an ‘adopted’ Khmer baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's an old trope from the 90s. It does seem that in the past you could "buy babies" there, but I haven't seen concrete evidence of a fixer there even a few years ago.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

You don't think those jewelers just sell jewelry do you?? Real money maker comes from the fresh out the womb bald heads
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic