A Chance to Win Roz's New Book 'My First CV- a Step By Step Guide' to Help You and Your Students (RAFFLE)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: A Chance to Win Roz's New Book 'My First CV- a Step By Step Guide' to Help You and Your Students (RAFFLE)

Post by xandreu »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:21 am
xandreu wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:57 am The idea of writing CVs and having to essentially prostitute yourself in front of complete strangers in order to be given the opportunity to make them lots of money has always disgusted me to be honest.
Prostituting myself????
I run a legitimate business, helping people to secure their future in a new country.

Are recruiters also prostituting themselves?
How about migration agents? Are they whores as well?

What a ridiculous attitude to business.
You’ve taken my post 100% out of context and after re-reading it again I can see why. I wasn’t in any way referring to you as a prostitute. I would never speak that way either in real life or online and I’m really sorry if I wasn’t clear in what I was saying.

What I was talking about was the fact that I’ve always had a problem with people having to put so much time and effort into getting a job (prostitution without the sex if you will) where you are made to feel that you should be grateful at being given the opportunity to make your employers rich.

It was merely a general observation on the way the world works and wasn’t aimed at anyone personally.

As I said, I know it’s not a common opinion but it’s mine.

You will never be as rich as your boss and by working for other people, you will never receive the true value of your real worth.

Sorry again if I wasn’t clear in my OP.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: A Chance to Win Roz's New Book 'My First CV- a Step By Step Guide' to Help You and Your Students (RAFFLE)

Post by newkidontheblock »

Xandreu -

Sorry it’s human nature 101. Let’s imagine you have a job that needs to be done. Any kind of job. Babysitting, cleaning the house, keeping the garden nice, etc. There are lots of people you can choose. You want to choose the best person for that job.

No point in getting a housekeeper and then finding out she has never wielded a broom.

A CV is something to let you know who has the skills you are looking for. Just like the on-line services review sites. Or word of mouth asking the neighbors who they use.

Except these are corporations with lots more on the line then having a dirty house if they pick the wrong one.

That’s my opinion. More than likely I’ll never need more than a basic CV. All they want is skills and the certifications they I have those skills. And the skills are up to date. But for others where it’s a murky land, a glowing CV might be different between a job and unemployment.

And if working for a paycheck is prostitution in your eyes, then I’m guilty of it everyday.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

NKONB - Yes, I do get it and I do understand why companies require CV's and depending on the job being applied for, the need to go through lengthy interview processes. But let's face it, people, at best, exaggerate on their CV's all the time. They can often become nothing more than a competition between who can come up with the most imaginative, most impressive sounding, yet ultimately meaningless adjectives.

You will never know a persons true character or ability to do the job unless you actually hire them. I worked in the corporate sector for several years. Never, ever again. While I did meet some great people, I can honestly say that I've also never met so many arrogant tossers that were totally and utterly incapable of doing even a fraction of the work they were supposed to be doing, yet were under some sort of illusion that they were the cherry on the cake. Not a day went by when I didn't wonder to myself how someone ever got past the selection process. In my experience, the corporate world is almost exclusively about the ability to talk the talk rather than walk the walk.

And it all starts with that bullshit adjective-laden CV.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

xandreu wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:54 am
You will never know a persons true character or ability to do the job unless you actually hire them. I worked in the corporate sector for several years. Never, ever again. While I did meet some great people, I can honestly say that I've also never met so many arrogant tossers that were totally and utterly incapable of doing even a fraction of the work they were supposed to be doing, yet were under some sort of illusion that they were the cherry on the cake. Not a day went by when I didn't wonder to myself how someone ever got past the selection process.
Isn't this just a general type of thing? I mean, I have worked in education from the age of 22 until I was in my thirties and I have wondered countless times how someone could end up at his or her position. Both teachers and management.

Looking back I feel like people tend to stay at their current job for too long. Once they've been around for a certain period they become part of the organization's culture and it becomes very hard to get rid of them. Both law and the culture of the organization will work against that.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

If you are a teacher or student and want a copy of the book, please send me a private message.
This is ridiculous.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Ahh Roz’ you could just not post to the silly comments…

It is true that most CVS are embellished. Mine is 80% fiction and changed so much I’ve forgotten what I’ve actually done and when employment wise.

Do people still put “I’m a team player and work well in groups?”

They say you’ve got 5 seconds to grab a future employees interest.
People of the world, spice up your life.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

This blog article may interest you:

https://www.resumesetc.com.au/2015/10/1 ... ions-list/
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

mannanman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:54 am Ahh Roz’ you could just not post to the silly comments…

It is true that most CVS are embellished. Mine is 80% fiction and changed so much I’ve forgotten what I’ve actually done and when employment wise.

:thumb: exactly:
Something about all this concern with writing a cv reminds me of the book / movie, "Catch me if you can"
when i was looking for work, decades ago, i would always tweak my cv according to the job i was applying for.,
assumed anyone that really wanted the job would do the same
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:50 pm
mannanman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:54 am Ahh Roz’ you could just not post to the silly comments…

:thumb: exactly:
Something about all this concern with writing a cv reminds me of the book / movie, "Catch me if you can"
when i was looking for work, decades ago, i would always tweak my cv according to the job i was applying for.,
assumed anyone that really wanted the job would do the same
The book is directed at young people entering the workforce for the first time. Things are a wee bit different from when you first entered the workforce.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

rozzieoz wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:18 pm This blog article may interest you:

https://www.resumesetc.com.au/2015/10/1 ... ions-list/
I fell asleep at “accountant”.

:D
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic