Is now a good opportunity for expats thinking of moving to Siem Reap?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Is now a good opportunity for expats thinking of moving to Siem Reap?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

[Mod edit: from another topic]

GF lived there for a while. She says it gets really hot, hot at times during the year. Hence probably the need for a pool..

Then again, I keep seeing amazing prices (relative to PP) for rentals and villas for sale.. seems to me you get a lot of bang for your buck lifestyle wise compared to PP.

OTOH SR strikes me as a one trick pony town ie tourism and Angkor Wat, so it's going to be an up and down sort of economy depending on the prevailing economic winds.. And certainly now with the wuflu pandemic..

Then again, I think there's opportunity now because in a few years things will improve with tourists. And it has an international airport.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: House arrest in Siem Reap

Post by AndyKK »

Some of you who are living in Siem Reap maybe able to tell me if the rental situation has returned to normal. Why I ask, was because I was viewing a few properties, considering a move. Then the house arrest loomed, the rental agencies told me now the authorities had clamped down saying anyone who wants to rent property, but comes from the "no" covid area's of Siem Reap could not rent.
One alternative I was told at the time, was taking a chance of going into a government approved isolation, at my own cost, then there may be possiblity of rental.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Right now no controls at the provincial boundary for at least 2 weeks.

No idea why you would go through a rental agency. The fb groups are bursting with offers.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Pizzalover wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:02 am Right now no controls at the provincial boundary for at least 2 weeks.

No idea why you would go through a rental agency. The fb groups are bursting with offers.
Thanks for replying to my question Pizzalover. It was a place advertised on Facebook. When I contacted them it was a rental agency, the rent was very reasonable, a little saving too what I am paying for my place in Phnom Penh.
But unfortunately like I mentioned in my previous post, no rental to anyone outside a Covid19 free area in Siem Reap it's self. I wanted to know if the authorities we're now letting people from other provinces rent property now?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Is there another 'Siem Reap' out there?

Post by AndyKK »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:57 pm Following with interest..

GF lived there for a while. She says it gets really hot, hot at times during the year. Hence probably the need for a pool..

Then again, I keep seeing amazing prices (relative to PP) for rentals and villas for sale.. seems to me you get a lot of bang for your buck lifestyle wise compared to PP.

OTOH SR strikes me as a one trick pony town ie tourism and Angkor Wat, so it's going to be an up and down sort of economy depending on the prevailing economic winds.. And certainly now with the wuflu pandemic..

Then again, I think there's opportunity now because in a few years things will improve with tourists. And it has an international airport.
Yes, that point of getting more for your money attracted me too the place. I had not seen this thread until now, but Timmy is not talking Cambodia. I had just posted on another thread about the authorities not letting people rent.
The thing is it seems like a great time to make a move there just now, rental are good for the money, place is not busy with tourists. Angkor Park would be good if you like the temple's. The Chinese are going to build a new town near the new airport I understand.
I think a good opportunity for a few years before returning tourism.
Typhoon28
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Typhoon28 »

Restrictions have really been relaxed now and I'm sure that you will have no issues renting now, you probably just asked at the wrong time with the lock downs. Hopefully next the booze ban is lifted.

Sent from my TECNO LD7 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic