A Chance to Win Roz's New Book 'My First CV- a Step By Step Guide' to Help You and Your Students (RAFFLE)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: A Chance to Win Roz's New Book 'My First CV- a Step By Step Guide' to Help You and Your Students (RAFFLE)

Post by rozzieoz »

The point of this post is that I want to give some books to teachers, to help them teach their students to write CVs.
Are you a teacher?
Are you a student?

If not, then this post doesn't really apply to you.

I know you men can't help yourselves when it comes to giving advice that isn't asked for, but since the book is already written, I don't require any further input into the editorial content.
Thanks though.

Now moving on - would anyone like a copy of the book?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: A Chance to Win Roz's New Book 'My First CV- a Step By Step Guide' to Help You and Your Students (RAFFLE)

Post by rozzieoz »

Your first CV is often the most difficult to write, because in most cases you haven’t yet built up a formal work history.

So often I hear the lament of the student: “But I haven’t done anything!”

NONSENSE!

You already have many really valuable skills that are of interest to a prospective employer – what you don’t yet realise is how they can be identified and included on your CV.

The purpose of this book is to help you to create a CV through identifying your skills and presenting them on paper in a way that is useful and interesting to potential employers.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:29 am
nerdlinger wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:11 pm I'd be highly suspicious of a CV that arrived without an address on it. Certainly enough to make it an immediate candidate for the bin if I had a lot of CVs to get through.
Are you hiring school students though?
I would have thought a pile of CVs of school students would be *more* susceptible to arbitrary discarding, since you’re not going to be able to discard based on experience (on account of they don’t have any).
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:32 am The point of this post is that I want to give some books to teachers, to help them teach their students to write CVs.
Are you a teacher?
Are you a student?

If not, then this post doesn't really apply to you.

I know you men can't help yourselves when it comes to giving advice that isn't asked for, but since the book is already written, I don't require any further input into the editorial content.
Thanks though.
I find this response very disappointing. As someone who has been on both sides of the hiring process I’m interested in discussions about the finer details of it, but your reaction seems be basically “you’re not allowed to talk about anything in the book because it’s not for you so shut up and get out of my thread”.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

nerdlinger wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:11 pm I'd be highly suspicious of a CV that arrived without an address on it. Certainly enough to make it an immediate candidate for the bin if I had a lot of CVs to get through.
Agreed, if no address it would raise suspicions and if a large pile to get through it may just get discarded.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

Forgive me if I'm being obtuse, but post IWANNAWIN where? Here?

The first coupla pages of the thread are squabblings and nobody's claiming they want to win. I wanna win! (Maybe I'm supposed to go Facebook or some such :( I'm not going there cos I don't wanna win that much.)

I got me some business students at the moment and teaching them how to write their CV would be much better than the shit I'm expected to deal with. Damn it, I wanna win!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

I. Wanna. Win.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Yerg wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:20 amI. Wanna. Win.
Your a winner already with your recovery
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

It’s a PDF. I bought one. Of course shipping from Oz going at a lot, probably cheaper they way. I paid for shipping from Cambodia it’s (really expensive). Shipping from Oz is still half as expensive (but still crazy expensive).

Good material. May never need it in my line of work, but still a good reference.

Best of luck to everyone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic