Cambodia now connected to Thailand by rail.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Cambodia now connected to Thailand by rail.

Post by rogerrabbit »

snookieboi wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:14 pm Ok so I took the train maybe a year or two ago and it went from Bangkok to the Cambodian border which was fantastic and then I took a bus to siem reap .and first time as with the train and was absolutely fantastic and really very cheap couldn't believe it (much better then doing those bus journeys and hassle) anyway as regarding this train scenario I've read all the posts and it's a bit of an old post by the looks of it and nothing seems very clear

So have they finally built the train line going all the way to Phnom Penh? not that it would be a quick trip, and I kind of agree with p/richard saying it's better to fly (probably is if to pp is where you really want to go) but most tourists will quite happily split up with siem reap obviously to see cambodia's most important sites ,before travelling onwards to p/phen it'll certainly be of use to some people but not all
Yes the train line has been completed. But it doesn't go via Siem Reap but via Battambang. Before covid there was scheduled passenger trains going between Phnom Penh and Battambang, but not yet to Thai border.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:35 pm
snookieboi wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:14 pm Ok so I took the train maybe a year or two ago and it went from Bangkok to the Cambodian border which was fantastic and then I took a bus to siem reap .and first time as with the train and was absolutely fantastic and really very cheap couldn't believe it (much better then doing those bus journeys and hassle) anyway as regarding this train scenario I've read all the posts and it's a bit of an old post by the looks of it and nothing seems very clear

So have they finally built the train line going all the way to Phnom Penh? not that it would be a quick trip, and I kind of agree with p/richard saying it's better to fly (probably is if to pp is where you really want to go) but most tourists will quite happily split up with siem reap obviously to see cambodia's most important sites ,before travelling onwards to p/phen it'll certainly be of use to some people but not all
Yes the train line has been completed. But it doesn't go via Siem Reap but via Battambang. Before covid there was scheduled passenger trains going between Phnom Penh and Battambang, but not yet to Thai border.
It was running from PP all the way to Poipet for a while. Repeated rainy season washouts left it terminating at Battambang and since Covid it's been suspended.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Presumably rail enthusiasts noted the inauguration of the high speed rail link from China to Laos a few days ago.
This is a really great benefit of BRI.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic