Google Adsense in Cambodia

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Google Adsense in Cambodia

Post by xandreu »

Not sure if this belongs in the Tech Zone or the Ask the Expats. Mods - Feel free to move it if necessary.

Has anyone had any experience setting up a Google Adsense account in Cambodia? I appear to have done it to a certain extent, in that it appears to be somewhat active, but it seems to be limiting me as to what the next steps are, such as saying that I need to verify my identity but not giving me an (obvious) way of doing so.

Two things spring to mind when I think of the potential difficulties - 1, that there is no formal register of official addresses here, not like there is in Western countries. Google need to send a PIN to a verified address in order to verify your identity. Not so easy when things are delivered based largely on phone numbers rather than physical addressees. My own bank doesn't even know nor care where I live (I've moved house several times since setting up the account and not felt the need to tell them)

Secondly, with Cambodia being on at least one recognised international black list for money laundering, it's understandable that Cambodia isn't on many companies top priority list of places to do business with. A fact I'm sure most long term expats have come across from time to time here.

That being said, I've done some research and there are companies here who are managing to successfully run Google Adsense campaigns on their websites.

I have experience of doing this in the UK several years ago but no experience of doing it in Cambodia and am just starting to look into it.

If anyone can offer any insight or personal experience stories, I'm all ears.

Thanks.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Google Adsense in Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

xandreu wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:18 pm

Two things spring to mind when I think of the potential difficulties - 1, that there is no formal register of official addresses here, not like there is in Western countries. Google need to send a PIN to a verified address in order to verify your identity. Not so easy when things are delivered based largely on phone numbers rather than physical addressees. My own bank doesn't even know nor care where I live (I've moved house several times since setting up the account and not felt the need to tell them)
A friend successfully set up an Adsense account with his local address a couple of years ago. Google did indeed send a verification letter with a number and it arrived. The address was a business address and someone from the post office came by.
Also worth a try if you live in a smaller town as you could ask the post office to watch for it coming (e.g., for a tip).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic