interactive map on World press freedom

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

interactive map on World press freedom

Post by phuketrichard »

https://rsf.org/en/ranking/2021#

Methodology
HOW THE INDEX IS COMPILED
The degree of freedom available to journalists in 180 countries is determined by pooling the responses of experts to a questionnaire devised by RSF. This qualitative analysis is combined with quantitative data on abuses and acts of violence against journalists during the period evaluated. The criteria evaluated in the questionnaire are pluralism, media independence, media environment and self-censorship, legislative framework, transparency, and the quality of the infrastructure that supports the production of news and information.

top 3
Norway
Sweden
Finland

Bottom 3
Turkmenistan
Eritrea ( how many know where they are?) I didn't
North Korea

Cambodia 144
Thailand 137
Burma 140 ( surprised me what with the coup)

US 44
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: interactive map on World press freedom

Post by xandreu »

Difficult index to compile if you ask me. There are all sorts of interpretations when it comes to the meaning of a free press. Not sure why the UK would be all the way down at 33. I'd say we have a fairly healthy and diverse free press with something for everyone. From the (supposed) unbiased and balanced BBC to news outlets either side of the political spectrum. I've never heard anyone complain about press freedoms. The law states that you're free to say whatever you like about anyone so long as you can back it up in court if required.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: interactive map on World press freedom

Post by rogerrabbit »

xandreu wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:21 pm Difficult index to compile if you ask me. There are all sorts of interpretations when it comes to the meaning of a free press. Not sure why the UK would be all the way down at 33. I'd say we have a fairly healthy and diverse free press with something for everyone. From the (supposed) unbiased and balanced BBC to news outlets either side of the political spectrum. I've never heard anyone complain about press freedoms. The law states that you're free to say whatever you like about anyone so long as you can back it up in court if required.
If you click the link and then read more on UK you can understand why it's ranked where it is to be honest.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic