How Long Before Tourist Areas Return to 2019

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How Long Before We Get Back To 2019?

Under 3 Months
8%
3 - 6 Months
11%
6 - 12 Months
16%
1 - 2 Years
48%
Never
16%

Total votes: 62
Sirhaden1
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: How Long Before Tourist Areas Return to 2019

Post by Sirhaden1 »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:23 pm Let's dare to dream and say the government throws open the doors on 1st November - no quarantine - no testing on arrival - E-Visa for Tourists, just like it was in 2019.

How long before the tourist areas begin to resemble what they were like before this shitshow started, with small hotels open and viable, a multitude of bars and eateries all vying for swarms of people, busy streets and lots of new faces and returning old one. The Good Old Days.
So.. are they planning on reopening to tourists on Nov 1st? And no quarantine etc...
If so I'm guessing this privilege is for Vaxxed ppl only?
Thnaks
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Sirhaden1 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:13 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:23 pm Let's dare to dream and say the government throws open the doors on 1st November - no quarantine - no testing on arrival - E-Visa for Tourists, just like it was in 2019.

How long before the tourist areas begin to resemble what they were like before this shitshow started, with small hotels open and viable, a multitude of bars and eateries all vying for swarms of people, busy streets and lots of new faces and returning old one. The Good Old Days.
So.. are they planning on reopening to tourists on Nov 1st? And no quarantine etc...
If so I'm guessing this privilege is for Vaxxed ppl only?
Thnaks
Nope.

Not planning on reopening, planning on starting the discussion.

But... If they reopen, it'll probably be for the vaxxed only, and maybe with a quick test on arrival too.

But hey, the Iron Man doesn't call me every day to discuss his plans.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

I think the poll creator is being far too optimistic, with only just the 1 option "Never", beyond just 1-2 years

It will, but not just in a couple of years
Last edited by jaynewcastle on Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

jaynewcastle wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:27 pm I think the poll creator is being far too optimistic, with only 1 option Never, beyond just 1-2 years
I guess everyone posting on this forum hopes Cambodia will open up soon.....
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:29 pm
jaynewcastle wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:27 pm I think the poll creator is being far too optimistic, with only 1 option Never, beyond just 1-2 years
but thats something totally different to the question asked :)

ps - I was amending my original post, whilst you posted, in case anybody wonders
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

jaynewcastle wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:31 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:29 pm
but thats something totally different to the question asked :)

ps - I was amending my original post, whilst you posted, in case anybody wonders
Well, one can only reply to what's available at that time.

I notice the wish to open up Cambodia soon, and the question when Cambodia will open up again, are brought up here quite often. IMHO the wish of many people blurs reality.
I want Cambodia to open up ASAP too, for me personally, for a business I started during this crisis, but I don't see it happen this or next month.

Cambodia is still in the phase of multiple domestic restrictions. They won't open up the country before the domestic restraints have been loosened up.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

One of the stumbling blocks to reopening the country to tourists is the difficulty of re-entry to their home country. I some cases, like Australia and New Zealand, it is almost impossible to re-enter due to quarantine and border restrictions. In many other cases there is still testing , vaccination and two week quarantine to deal with for a tourist to go home after travel. So Cambodia may be ready to open up, but will have to wait for the rest of the world to catch up. I saw that someone posted a list of 'open' countries. With one or two exceptions (i.e. Russia) none of these will provide much traffic for this country.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

hdgh29 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:20 am One of the stumbling blocks to reopening the country to tourists is the difficulty of re-entry to their home country. I some cases, like Australia and New Zealand, it is almost impossible to re-enter due to quarantine and border restrictions. In many other cases there is still testing , vaccination and two week quarantine to deal with for a tourist to go home after travel. So Cambodia may be ready to open up, but will have to wait for the rest of the world to catch up. I saw that someone posted a list of 'open' countries. With one or two exceptions (i.e. Russia) none of these will provide much traffic for this country.
^Exactly this. It's not just the closure of Cambodia, there's also the risk of the country you come from (the Northern Hemisphere is going into winter season now and I can see the panic taking over the news again) or airport hubs enforcing (new) restrictions while you're on holiday. And there's the restriction of the negative test when leaving - with all the risks attached to it.

One hypothetical situation.
Imagine a couple from the Netherlands coming to Cambodia for an 18 day Christmas holiday. Everything is just fine, no new restrictions are imposed, but they need the negative test to be able to enter the return flight and enter the country. One of them tests positive. When they're getting their results an ambulance and a couple of people with nets in full protective clothing are waiting for them to take them to one of the lovely covid-19 care centers on Koh Pich to spend time there until they test negative twice.

Which tourist would be willing to take that risk?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:46 pm Here in Toronto, you can dine-in and drink-in provided you have a vaccine proof. Otherwise you can sit outside. However, the city streets are pretty lifeless (much like Bangkok). As a friend and I agreed last night, it's clear people are being cautious. They're ordering meals in or walking down the street from home to a local eatery for a pickup. Most of the eateries in our district are largely empty inside.

Yet, the caution is not written on people's faces. I've had many impromptu (masked) chats, sometimes lengthy ones, on the street, in transit vehicles, across tables, in stores. There's no fear; maybe just resignation. Maybe social habits concerning enclosed venues have changed. Maybe they just don't feel ready to break out. I got the sense things have changed so it begs the question, will the caution remain deeper and longer? This hesitancy could spill over into plans for travel. Maybe free spirited travel will take a long time to come back. Or maybe it is doomed.

Maybe my choice of 6-12 months was much too optimistic.
Sitting outside is going to be very uncomfortable in January. Will the bars and restaurants pay for space heaters like some do for the smokers or will you just be left to freeze your bollocks off for the anti-vax cause?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:02 am
ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:46 pm Here in Toronto, you can dine-in and drink-in provided you have a vaccine proof. Otherwise you can sit outside. However, the city streets are pretty lifeless (much like Bangkok). As a friend and I agreed last night, it's clear people are being cautious. They're ordering meals in or walking down the street from home to a local eatery for a pickup. Most of the eateries in our district are largely empty inside.

Yet, the caution is not written on people's faces. I've had many impromptu (masked) chats, sometimes lengthy ones, on the street, in transit vehicles, across tables, in stores. There's no fear; maybe just resignation. Maybe social habits concerning enclosed venues have changed. Maybe they just don't feel ready to break out. I got the sense things have changed so it begs the question, will the caution remain deeper and longer? This hesitancy could spill over into plans for travel. Maybe free spirited travel will take a long time to come back. Or maybe it is doomed.

Maybe my choice of 6-12 months was much too optimistic.
Sitting outside is going to be very uncomfortable in January. Will the bars and restaurants pay for space heaters like some do for the smokers or will you just be left to freeze your bollocks off for the anti-vax cause?
After the recent explosion of prices for natural gas I doubt it....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic