ABA Mobile app & Sim Card

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Rickslayer123
Tourist
Cambodia

ABA Mobile app & Sim Card

Post by Rickslayer123 »

So here's what happened, I'm gonna be living in Hungary for a few years, Landed to the country recently, so far loving it, This morning for some reason i decided to buy a soda from the vending machine using my Visa Card, it didn't work because i didn't understand the instruction well, So I decided to come back to my room and try to login to ABA Mobile App to see what's up, I entered the right pin yet, it still showing me as failed attempt, I have used the app for the past two weeks to send money and check transaction, it was working fine until today. So honestly i don't know what happened, i then go to the vending machine again and try to buy the drink with the card, it was sucessful and i got the soda. But till now i still haven't try to login the app back yet, my cousin advising me to wait a day or two to log back in and i got a friend in canada told me that everytime he uses the app, he always change the timezone to cambodia timezone. So may this could also be the problem.

Furthermore My cousin told me that he used to lost his ABA visa card in Australia and for the reactivation he didn't have to go to cambodia, he just reactivate his ABA account thru email and use his registered aba sim roaming but this was since late 2019. So i don't know what changes, I currently don't have a ABA registered sim with me right now, but since the sim is still active in cambodia, I'm gonna ask someone to send to me via DHL incase i need to reactivate or sth like that. Have any of u gone thru this process ?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: ABA Mobile app & Sim Card

Post by General Mackevili »

My ABA app is working fine in the US, but that's not to say I couldn't have problems in the future. Never had to use any sort of VPN for it or anything. If it's working for you now (as you've said), I think you should probably wait a few days as advised and login. Just needed the password and security word to login to the app on a new phone. That could vary depending on your security settings, though.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
mossie
Expatriate
Finland

Post by mossie »

I'm pissed of that they quit internet banking altogether.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Do you not need to have an active roaming Cambodian sim in your phone for the ABA app to work overseas? ie the sim you used to set up the ABA app originally?

Re closure of ABA internet banking, I think that may be a reason for having an alternate bank as well. Acleda still has theirs and they even gave me a OTP generator (dongle) for security access bypassing any need for sim.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:30 pm Do you not need to have an active roaming Cambodian sim in your phone for the ABA app to work overseas? ie the sim you used to set up the ABA app originally?
When you install and register your account with the app, the Cambodian SIM card with the number that is registered with your bank account needs to be in the phone as you are sent a OTP via SMS. Once set-up you can take that SIM out and the app works, even overseas. If you uninstall the app, lose/break your phone, etc., then you need to put that SIM back in to set up again...so if you lose that SIM, don't have roaming, or the SIM has expired while overseas you're pretty much f**ked.

That's why it was a shit move closing the Internet Banking platform for personal banking customers. I rate ABA over the other banks, but was not happy when they did this.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

As Kiwi says- the sim needs to be network active for initial setup. After that, the app works even without an active sim. The app was working for me through the 10month absence last year, no issues. Just as well, as Cellcard recycled my sim (which I think may be a bit of a security risk). But the big potential pain is what happens in the event that the phone stops working.

In 2019, there was an app update which didn't work out as planned, and I ended up with a few weeks out of contact, as my sim isn't international/roaming and so I couldn't get the code to reactivate the app.
Last edited by Freightdog on Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:44 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:30 pm Do you not need to have an active roaming Cambodian sim in your phone for the ABA app to work overseas? ie the sim you used to set up the ABA app originally?
When you install and register your account with the app, the Cambodian SIM card with the number that is registered with your bank account needs to be in the phone as you are sent a OTP via SMS. Once set-up you can take that SIM out and the app works, even overseas. If you uninstall the app, lose/break your phone, etc., then you need to put that SIM back in to set up again...so if you lose that SIM, don't have roaming, or the SIM has expired while overseas you're pretty much f**ked.

That's why it was a shit move closing the Internet Banking platform for personal banking customers. I rate ABA over the other banks, but was not happy when they did this.
Thanks that's good to know :thumb:

I recently got a new phone and set up the app OK on it. How about my old phone with the app still there? Will it work as well OS or is it a case of 1 phone only for the ABA app?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@clutchcargo , app works on multiple devices as long as registered.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:56 pm @clutchcargo , app works on multiple devices as long as registered.
That's useful to know. I have a local sim in a single sim iPhone. But I was planning on putting that sim and app into my new iPhone. Nature of the business, though, I do need to run multiple sims, and carrying more than two phones is a real pain. I'll try it out while I'm in quarantine.
Rickslayer123
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Rickslayer123 »

I was already in the APP, but when i try to accesss my account or any feature within the app, it required my personal pin code. I did entered the pin code correctly but it showed login failed, so this must be sth wrong with the app because when i input some random ass pin, it shows a red alert on the screen with an "incorrect pin" text display and not login failed please retry.

My profile is now locked and need to be reactivated, however i do not have the sim with me and have to wait for my cambodian peeps to send it to me which could also be a while.

this really is frustrating
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic