How Long Before Tourist Areas Return to 2019

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How Long Before We Get Back To 2019?

Under 3 Months
8%
3 - 6 Months
11%
6 - 12 Months
16%
1 - 2 Years
48%
Never
16%

Total votes: 62
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: How Long Before Tourist Areas Return to 2019

Post by phuketrichard »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:23 pm Let's dare to dream and say the government throws open the doors on 1st November - no quarantine - no testing on arrival - E-Visa for Tourists, just like it was in 2019.

How long before the tourist areas begin to resemble what they were like before this shitshow started, with small hotels open and viable, a multitude of bars and eateries all vying for swarms of people, busy streets and lots of new faces and returning old one. The Good Old Days.
EXCLUDING the Chinese and Koreans, the number will not significantly increase until the number increase in Thailand and thats why i clicked 1-2 years and thats being VERY optimistic, realistically 3-4 years

FYI: i doubt thailand will see 39 million arrivals till mid 2025-26, if ever again
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Best estimates I've read almost all talk about 2025 as the kind of benchmark when life will be lived without a thought for covid, but that doesn't mean things will go back to how they were before. I think it's fair to say that not only did the virus restrict people's movements and their way of life, it also gave many people the opportunity to re-evaluate their life in a broader sense. It's possible that some things may never go back to how they were before, simply because we've learned what a complete waste of time they were in the first place, such as commuting to an office every day to do the same job you could do at home.

It's impossible to say yet how travel will be affected because even if the virus is no longer a threat, people's priorities, habits, routines and what they want out of life have already changed, in some cases, with no going back.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Here in Toronto, you can dine-in and drink-in provided you have a vaccine proof. Otherwise you can sit outside. However, the city streets are pretty lifeless (much like Bangkok). As a friend and I agreed last night, it's clear people are being cautious. They're ordering meals in or walking down the street from home to a local eatery for a pickup. Most of the eateries in our district are largely empty inside.

Yet, the caution is not written on people's faces. I've had many impromptu (masked) chats, sometimes lengthy ones, on the street, in transit vehicles, across tables, in stores. There's no fear; maybe just resignation. Maybe social habits concerning enclosed venues have changed. Maybe they just don't feel ready to break out. I got the sense things have changed so it begs the question, will the caution remain deeper and longer? This hesitancy could spill over into plans for travel. Maybe free spirited travel will take a long time to come back. Or maybe it is doomed.

Maybe my choice of 6-12 months was much too optimistic.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I feel like hope is winning over common sense. Most schools in Cambodia are still closed, beer is often served in coffee cups because of the restrictions, gyms are still closed, you're not yet allowed to excersise at the Phnom Penh riverside and big busses are still banned from terrorizing the roads. To name a few.

Still, people are hoping for an opening up of the country in weeks.

Anyone noticed the sounds of ambulances?
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

People still seem strangely ignorant of the fact that dozens of countries have already been open for international tourism since last year.

Asian countries could have had plenty of tourists this year if they had already opened their borders to international travel. :wink:

Number of Tourists to Albania Surpasses Pre-Pandemic Figures
https://exit.al/en/2021/08/19/number-of ... c-figures/
(Actually, this article is a but out-of-date. Currently, test, vaccination or recovery are required.)

Mexico's Cancun airport passes pre-pandemic tourism mark with September passenger traffic
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2 ... 033642001/

("Mexico never instituted any quarantine or testing requirements for incoming passengers, in part to avoid affecting the country’s tourism income.")

Which Countries have re-opened for QUARANTINE-FREE Travel? (not necessarily surpassing pre-Pandemic levels but OPEN)
https://www.cntravellerme.com/travel-in ... l-tourists

For the non-vaccinated, these countries are listed:
Egypt
Jordan
Maldives (since July 2020)
Seychelles
Greece
Croatia
Montenegro
Russia
Turkey
Armenia
Georgia
Botswana
Mozambique
Kenya
Tunisia
Tanzania
Bahamas
Barbados (since July 12, 2020)
Belize
Costa Rica
Jamaica

There are a number of additional open countries. Clearly, there is something seriously wrong with Asian countries.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:53 pm I feel like hope is winning over common sense. Most schools in Cambodia are still closed, beer is often served in coffee cups because of the restrictions, gyms are still closed, you're not yet allowed to excersise at the Phnom Penh riverside and big busses are still banned from terrorizing the roads. To name a few.

Still, people are hoping for an opening up of the country in weeks.

Anyone noticed the sounds of ambulances?
I haven't noticed the sound of ambulances yet, I heard they started using buses instead way back. :?
Anyway, good points. I also believe the recent Pchum festival with a huge number of people visiting
home towns and mingling could result in a large upsurge. Sorry for the pessimism. :cry:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:06 pm
I haven't noticed the sound of ambulances yet, I heard they started using buses instead way back. :?
I've been in Phnom Penh for about 18 days now and about the ambulances... I can tell the difference.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:06 pm

Anyway, good points. I also believe the recent Pchum festival with a huge number of people visiting
home towns and mingling could result in a large upsurge. Sorry for the pessimism. :cry:
Add the cancellation of the water festival. Imagine opening up while cancelling the water festival...
Last edited by Kammekor on Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:45 pm If Cambodia would open up soon not much will change anytime soon. Loads of tourists will just wait and see because they are scared a spike in infections will lead to new travel restrictions. Either in Cambodia, at their travel hub or in their home country.

What happened back in spring of 2020 has changed the way people look at travelling. Freedoms people used to take for granted have been taken away overnight and it could happen again. The average tourist doesn't want to run those risks.
The return of the tourists in Cambodia I believe will take 3 to 6 months for Asian travelers from; China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Korea, Japan. For the visitors from the western countries it would take a longer period of time, I conservatively estimated two years before the group tourist from the west come back to Cambodia and other SEA countries. The amount of western tourists in Cambodia was already on the decline before the Covid-19 pandemic. If everything go well with the November reopening plan, we should see an abundance of Chinese visitors in Cambodia.
Boredom is like a shroud
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It's true that many countries are open if you match up to what they require, such as a friend and his family in the UK have just returned from the normal family holiday in Tenerife, saying that only problem or difference from past visits, or rather a pain was the paperwork needed.
I think also what I have read so far on this thread and people's opinions on the subject are good, but a little conservative. For example the country wants to open up for tourists and get the people whom worked in the tourist sector in past years back into work, and start to grow the economy once again. But I think it's going to take sometime to get tourists from the four corners of the world. I would suspect that is not even remotely on the minds of the politicians and powers that will be. Cambodia is missing China's money, it's plain and simple, the amount of Chinese tourists visiting Angkor wat for example in past years, generates a large and favorable income. The problem is having the Chinese tourists visiting and not sending them back with Covid19 viruses.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic