$100 bills

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bobagubi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: $100 bills

Post by bobagubi »

Avoid Canadia Bank as much as possible and many headaches will disappear.
សូមអរគុណសូមជំរាបលា។
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Whatsupdoc wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:15 pm Yes, great Sunday story.
So if you have nothing else to do : go to an ATM, take out some money, then go back in the bank to make a deposit.
What a wonderful way of spending time in Cambodia.
That's just too funny. Please OP don't he take it as us "taking the piss". It is useful advice. But that was a good one.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Moving money between accounts is very convenient on ABA's app.
Scarier than malaria.
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Expat, new branch right next door. Next closest one is ABA. With ABA you need a business license as a foreigner to set up an account. I used to use UBC when I lived in the Riverside area but it's too far away.
Canadia ATM fees $500, $5. ABA $500, $6. Vannatac that I used to use inside Smile Riverside was $4 per $500. Not cost effective to travel there and back to save $1.
If a person has to use an ATM like I must every $1 I save is money ahead. Plus Visa charges 1% on top of that too in "currency conversion fees". Thanks for the advice though. 👍
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

As a foreigner, you don’t (or didn’t) need a business licence, unless the rules have changed dramatically.
I have two ABA accounts, linked; one joint for both of us, with the monthly spending money, one as the main account in my name where all my international deposits come in. I use ABA app from anywhere in the world, pay the electric and water bills. Top up the phones, with little input from anyone, pay the doctors if needed, and pay the state aided robbery fund on re-entry to Cambodia.

As for the tale around the $100 bill, it’s no great surprise that only the bank manager could sort it out. It’s my guess that most banking staff weren’t recruited on the basis of any job specific skills or unique personal qualities that make them ideal candidates. The have a script. They run the script. When the script doesn’t fix the issue, I call for the bank manager.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

LionelBurns wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:58 pm Expat, new branch right next door. Next closest one is ABA. With ABA you need a business license as a foreigner to set up an account. I used to use UBC when I lived in the Riverside area but it's too far away.
Canadia ATM fees $500, $5. ABA $500, $6. Vannatac that I used to use inside Smile Riverside was $4 per $500. Not cost effective to travel there and back to save $1.
If a person has to use an ATM like I must every $1 I save is money ahead. Plus Visa charges 1% on top of that too in "currency conversion fees". Thanks for the advice though. 👍
FWIW, I have an ABA account here but if I have to use my cards from my European bank for withdrawing I use Acledas ATMs.
Acleda- ATM fee Visa $500 = $5 / MasterCard $500 = $5
ABA - ATM fee Visa $500 = $6 / MasterCard $500 = $8
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Chad, $8? Ouch. What gets me is the 1% currency exchange fees. I inquired about that and was told 'if you use Visa outside the US you get charged it'. My ATM card has a Visa logo on it. The Smile (Vannatac) by Shenanigans is $4 but half the time it doesn't work. It does shell out smaller denominations like $10, 20, 50.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

After your here awhile you’ll find better deals as far as ATMs and fees etc.
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
hairdo
BANNED
Guam

Post by hairdo »

Is this a verified story. Are there any witnesses and can you tell me in which branch and at which ATM this happened? I have several trusted entities who, for over a decade, have never had a problem doing business with Canadia Bank here in Cambodia.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

You sound very important. In case anything similar should ever happen to me and I want to prevent it happening to others, how could I verify it to your satisfaction?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic