Cambodia to reopen to Tourists

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia to reopen to Tourists

Post by timmydownawell »

Chuck Borris wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:58 pm I think they are preparing to open up. They tweak the numbers, they are not so strict with "entertainment" venues anymore. It just matter of time they will lift restrictions. I just hope, I am feed up with all this shitty show around the world.
But if the tourist will have to go to any quarantine, even 7 days sandbox model, forget it.
I just spent a couple of days in SR. That place is not ready for tourists. Hopefully they will scramble to get the kerbs and footpaths installed. Just a mudfest right now. Will be very nice when it's done.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
themistyseas
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by themistyseas »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:34 am How long before Cambodia follows suit?
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 021-09-27/
Chuck Borris wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:58 pm I think they are preparing to open up. They tweak the numbers, they are not so strict with "entertainment" venues anymore. It just matter of time they will lift restrictions. I just hope, I am feed up with all this shitty show around the world.
But if the tourist will have to go to any quarantine, even 7 days sandbox model, forget it.
Personally I don't see it any time soon. It's not to say that I don't agree with the requirements for contact tracing (QR code etc on businesses), but that plus the vax card at the entrance to literally any business is going to cause chaos once tourists arrive. Not just because of the backlog entering businesses, but because folks on the ground are unfamiliar with vaccine cards (especially digital ones) from any other country. Are people with a foreign phone number going to be exempted from the QR code checkin? If so, then what's the point? With the PP vax card requirement, there's been no communication to businesses of what to do if the person was vaccinated in a country that is not Cambodia, and it is a source of confusion. The entry requirements for your PCR test before you board your flight to come here are also among the most difficult in the world to arrange for those coming from certain countries.

The fact that alcohol is back in stores is a positive, but the endless extension of the nightlife ban is also not a good sign. All of the small business owners I've spoken with have been extremely pessimistic. The situation with the ASQ program, where - as detailed in another thread - pax are being held in hotels for up to or beyond 21 days if someone else tested positive from their flight, without even being given a second test themselves - is an indicator that they're not moving until they've been able to squeeze absolutely all of the juice out of the orange. I know there have been murmurings of what they need to do to be more business/investor friendly, but the fact that there isn't even a plan for that yet - which raises alarm bells for me as a business person - means that I can't see there being a plan for tourists for a long time to come.

It's worth bearing in mind that Bangkok's re-opening was being planned for October from as early as Q1 this year. They've adapted the plan several times to adjust to the ongoing situation - but as lampooned as they've been for how they've managed things, since then, they have had a plan. Cambodia has not had anything resembling a re-opening plan. I can see some kind of proper re-opening for business passengers by Q1, but tourists I'd be (happily) surprised to see before Q2 or even Q3. I thought how they had handled the situation in 2020 was among the best in the world, but the inconsistent "shoot from the hip" approach in 2021 has left a lot to be desired, and that's why I'm not filled with a lot of confidence compared to what's going on in Thailand.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Thailand appears to be way behind Cambodia by any metric.
Worldometers is a pretty good place to start to see the very obvious data and the information that can be derived from it.
Cambodia's plan was to vax the maximum number possible.
They have done an admirable job with that, unlike many developed countries, and all of the neighbors.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

nemo wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:46 pm Thailand appears to be way behind Cambodia by any metric.
Worldometers is a pretty good place to start to see the very obvious data and the information that can be derived from it.
They have done an admirable job with that, unlike many developed countries, and all of the neighbors.
Vaccination-wise they are way behind.

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

themistyseas wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:33 pm

It's worth bearing in mind that Bangkok's re-opening was being planned for October from as early as Q1 this year.
Nothing is planned here. they just close provinces or lift the restrictions in one day, without further (week or so) notice.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:49 pm
nemo wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:46 pm Thailand appears to be way behind Cambodia by any metric.
Vaccination-wise they are way behind.

vaccination wise, yes Thailand is behind, but Thailand has been open for the whole year for tourists, ( if ur willing to spend 14 days locked up) and or using the Phuket sandbox>
no silly Business only visas being issued.
and as above, Thailand has a plan which is tweaked weekly , if not daily.
Thailand will welcome vaccinated visitors to 9 regions without quarantine starting November 1. This includes Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phangnga, Krabi, Hua Hin, Pattaya, and Cha-am in addition to already-open Phuket and Samui.

Starting October 1 the length of quarantine for vaccinated visitors nationwide will drop from 14 to 7 days, before being eliminated completely November 1. And unvaccinated visitors will have their quarantine reduced from 14 to 10 days.
Pilot Phase (1-31 October, 2021)
This will continue with the four popular beach resorts, which were the first destinations to reopen – beginning with Phuket on 1 July, then Surat Thani’s Samui, Ko Pha-ngan and Ko Tao on 15 July, and most recently Krabi and Phang-Nga on 16 August linking with Phuket under the 7+7 Extension arrangement. This phase will also see reopening of new designated areas in Krabi – Khlong Muang and Thap Khaek.

First Phase (1-30 November, 2021)
This will see the reopening extended to 10 other tourism-driven destinations. These include all areas of Bangkok, Krabi and Phang-Nga, and designated areas in Buri Ram (Mueang), Chiang Mai (Mueang, Mae Rim, Mae Taeng, and Doi Tao), Chon Buri (Pattaya, Bang Lamung, Na Jomtien, and Sattahip), Loei (Chiang Khan), Phetchaburi (Cha-Am), Prachuap Khiri Khan (Hua Hin), and Ranong (Ko Phayam).

Second Phase (1-31 December, 2021)
The reopening will be extended to 20 more provinces which are tourism-driven, well-known for art and culture, or border destinations. These include Ayutthaya, Chiang Rai, Khon Kaen, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Narathiwat, Nong Khai, Pathum Thani, Phatthalung, Phetchabun, Phrae, Rayong, Samut Prakan, Songkhla, Sukhothai, Trang, Trat, and Yala.

Third Phase (1 January, 2022, onwards)
This will see the reopening of 13 border provinces, including Bueng Kan, Chanthaburi, Kanchanaburi, Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom, Nan, Ratchaburi, Sa Kaeo, Satun, Surin, Tak, Ubon Ratchathani, and Udon Thani.

The CCSA has asked all concerned government agencies to prepare for the Phase 1-3 reopening. Meanwhile, foreign tourists can continue to visit the four pilot beach resort destinations under the existing conditions.
What does Cambodia have beside vaccinating the locals?

If i am vaccinated, what do i personally care if you are or aren't? Your choice
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Chuck Borris wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:57 pm
themistyseas wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:33 pm

It's worth bearing in mind that Bangkok's re-opening was being planned for October from as early as Q1 this year.
Nothing is planned here. they just close provinces or lift the restrictions in one day, without further (week or so) notice.
That's true, we often get very short notice. There was some announcement that they want to bring back tourism etc but I guess it falls short of a 'plan' without firm dates or commitments.

Then again, I really don't like the Thai approach of a myriad of 'plans' which either don't eventuate or are constantly revised or delayed. It get's people's hopes up and then dashes them. Hence they lose all credibility. Better not to announce anything if it's always got a caveat or 'get out' clause imo.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Because new variants arise in new infections.
Reduce the infection rate and it reduces novel variant genesis.

Not hard to understand really.

Also, it does not matter what we think- it is a matter of what will happen in the real world which cares not a fart for perceived social justice or the constitution of your native land.
What does Cambodia have beside vaccinating the locals?
Are you suggesting Thailand's cack handed failure with vax produces a superior outcome?
Here is Phukhet under Thailand's open door tourism policy.
Last edited by nemo on Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

nemo wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:21 pm
Because new variants arise in new infections.
Reduce the infection rate and it reduces novel variant genesis.

Not hard to understand really.
Plus, the unvaccinated increase the risk of making others sick. The vaccine may prevent going to hospital but one could still be very sick at home.

And the unvaccinated refuseniks overload hospital beds at the expense of others.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Thailand has been open for the whole year for tourists, ( if ur willing to spend 14 days locked up) and or using the Phuket sandbox>
no silly Business only visas being issued.
and as above, Thailand has a plan which is tweaked weekly , if not daily.
:lol: and how many tourists have been willing to endure 14 days quarantine this last year only to come out and find more restrictions and lockdowns? The Phuket sandbox is only a recent phenomena in the last couple of mths. Drop in the bucket really.

And, what's silly about the Business only visa in Cambodia? They're not pulling any false punches..they're being pragmatic that tourists don't want 14 days quarantine in this current covid environment.

Plans tweaked daily, weekly? Yeah right, what a joke :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic