Sneaky Phone Thief Takes Advantage, and Gets Beaten by Vigilant Neighbors

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Sneaky Phone Thief Takes Advantage, and Gets Beaten by Vigilant Neighbors

Post by Random Dude »

ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:59 pm When you're a bum in the 3rd world and the police show up it's quite a sobering experience. You know that things are going to get very bad, and from bad to worse with one wrong move. People quickly go from unmanageable to perfectly compliant if they are clear enough to understand what is happening...
Yeah I suppose you're right - like I said earlier, if there were problems with cops being attacked they'd find a better way. I couldn't see it working in NZ though,our belligerent drunks and stroppy gang associates would be spitting, biting, head butting etc all the way back to the station, assuming they didn't manage to crash the bike on the day.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Random Dude wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:46 am Every time I see pictures of someone being taken away by the police on the back of a motorbike I wonder how often the cop gets attacked from behind / bike crashes and the guy makes a run for it.

Maybe crims in Cambodia are more trustworthy or less violent or something but I'm pretty sure that would never work in most Western countries.
There is usually another cop following them. They know they will get seriously battered if they cause problems.
Are there many plain clothes cops about?
Yes, loads of them. You can often spot them as they wear similar clothes/ hairstyles and often carry a SATCOM.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Many times only the lower ranking officers will be in uniform. Something that can be good to remember 😅
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:48 pm Hand cuffed behind makes it hard. Are there many plain clothes cops about? Albeit the dude's got some sort of ID lanyard.

Crawling with them.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

There will be another rozzer on the back with the crim wedged in the middle. The cop at the back will be serving slaps to the crims head when he feels like it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic