SOLDIER OF KHMER ROUGE WAR INTERVIEW

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: SOLDIER OF KHMER ROUGE WAR INTERVIEW

Post by Freightdog »

It comes across as a cheap shot. In just a few lines, your response is dismissive and insulting, and entirely directed at the character of the person, and not the material.
bossho wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:11 am …Maybe just stick to some wildlife stuff and possibly you could do a few temples here and there but I hesitate to say that you are qualified for that also. I know, why don't you man up and do something contemporary?
I wonder why people feel the need to go on the offensive so quickly.
MrB
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MrB »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:11 am
bossho wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:11 am I know, why don't you man up and do something contemporary?
??
I don't agree with many of Mr B's historical interpretations either (nor with many of yours, Bosso).
But why the spit in the face?
and PS - If you think the KR story is not contemporary, perhaps you can explain to us why.

Not trying to pick a fight, but i will stand up for anybody with the work rate of Mr B against cheap easy pot-shots on an internet forum.
Thank you so very much. I am often amazed at the negative, I am being polite, comments I sometimes receive.

Here is the cold truth. I have spent in excess of $15,000 of my own money cataloging 'forgotten' temples, I am the first to do so to this extent. I have repeatedly stated I am an enthusiasts who is learning, I am no scholar nor do I claim to be, I am on a journey of discovery, as I recover from an addiction that almost killed me, I mean as close as you can get, being hospitalised in ICU numerous times. I have spent countless hours travelling, editing, getting lost & getting frustrated. But still I move on, because the vast majority of people are like you, they understand & they are supportive.

So to you Sir, & any others that have liked my work, or at least understand why I do it, a deep & heart felt thank you. What I do now consumes my life & it is a lonely business, day after day pounding away alone, but I am so much happier, it is now the temples that take me to the most wondrous places, & on the bike I sometimes scream into the wind as I feel so very alive, where as before with addiction my life was so horrendous, I shudder to think of it, its a horror show I do not even wish to visit in my mind.

Now I am truly free. It feels so very very good.

Thanks again.
Last edited by MrB on Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I enjoy your videos a lot and your enthusiasm. Myself and friends often watch new ones at a bar I frequent. I didn't mean to be discouraging, the MONATIO thing is just something that irks me a bit as it's such a common misinterpretation. All the best.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

MrB wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:31 pm
bossho wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:11 am I know, why don't you man up and do something contemporary?
??
I don't agree with many of Mr B's historical interpretations either (nor with many of yours, Bosso).
and PS - If you think the KR story is not contemporary, perhaps you can explain to us why.

Not trying to pick a fight, but i will stand up for anybody with the work rate of Mr B against cheap easy pot-shots on an internet forum.
Thank you so very much. I am often amazed at the negative, I am being polite, comments I sometimes receive.

Here is the cold truth. I have spent in excess of $15,000 of my own money cataloging 'forgotten' temples, I am the first to do so to this extent. I have repeatedly stated I am an enthusiasts who is learning, I am no scholar nor do I claim to be, I am on a journey of discovery, as I recover from an addiction that almost killed me, I mean as close as you can get, being hospitalised in ICU numerous times. I have spent countless hours travelling, editing, getting lost & getting frustrated. But still I move on, because the vast majority of people are like you, they understand & they are supportive.

So to you Sir, & any others that have liked my work, or at least understand why I do it, a deep & heart felt thank you. What I do now consumes my life & it is a lonely business, day after day pounding away alone, but I am so much happier, it is now the temples that take me to the most wondrous places, & on the bike I sometimes scream into the wind as I feel so very alive, where as before with addiction my life was so horrendous, I shudder to think of it, its a horror show I do not even wish to visit in my mind.

Thanks again.
Well said Mr B. As a moderator on CEO I nearly gave the poster some time off for personally insulting you. However by the time I got to it, @SternAAlbifrons had rightly risen to that and the said poster later apologised. So, I took that in good faith and left it at that.

As I said in my karma to Stern, I commend you on the extensive work, research and travels you've done to put together this extensive library of forgotten temples videos. As you say, no one else has done it. Damn, I had no idea there were so many!

Personally, I'm not fussed so much about how you deliver or whether it's done so in a scholarly manner, rather, the sights shown on the video are a delight in themselves. Here we can visit those from the comfort of our homes. I daresay the process of producing those must have been both an adventure and a journey in themselves.

Thanks muchly for bringing these to CEO and tribute to you overcoming your demons and finding new meaning in your life.

cheers and all the best
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

bossho wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:07 am @SternAAlbifrons .....its coz he's your friend I guess. I take it easy on my friends too, way too easy. First comments to Mr B ever so I added them all up and this came out. No cheap shot, this is just my gut response to his historical work on this period. I did not look at the video or do much background on this mistakenly worded piece here because JB and Andy already did and they both have bulletproof reputations here. Mr B does not in my opinion have such a record and he mostly strikes me as an opportunist that is interested in repeating standard interpretations that are often wrong all together vs. biting the bullet and learning something that might injure his thesis or his production.
The KR story is not current at all, the last legions of KR have been gone a long time now. Any interpretations of that period you or I may have for the KR of then is best left off of an open internet forum like this. This decision to not engage thru posting here in specific matters of that period is one I have come to recently and I find is best for me. That's not to say that I might comment here and there especially when I feel my input, however unpopular, might be needed.

@MrB I am sorry if I was too sharp here and I will try to look after aspects of your work that interest me more in the coming days. If you are a friend of Stern's than you must be a worthy fellow, because that seasoned warrior does not miss when he shoots. Perhaps I need to produce a thread after working on it some to appreciate the work of others and I can then treat posters with more sensitivity and the respect they deserve. Once again I am sorry for being disrespectful in my comments to Mr B.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

MrB wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:31 pm
??

Thanks again.
I was lost in a drug fu%ked alcoholic world MrB & still venture back now & then for recreational purposes.
Mostly I'm quite boring now & besides running a business I build model boats, I'd say you have a much better deal.
I enjoy your videos & look forward to the next.
It won't be long before you are an authority on these subjects!
And one would be wise to take the knowledge from posters well acquainted with Cambodia rather than those who elevate themselves by putting others down.
Great work mate! :hattip:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

MrB keep the stories and information coming of your temple visits, they are really well filmed and knowledgeable, be safe on your travels by motorbike.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic