Mandatory showing of vaccination card in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Mandatory showing of vaccination card in Phnom Penh

Post by atst »

They're talking about this in nz but where does it stop, nightclubs, kiwi mart, touk touks and who's going to police it, what if you don't have a smart phone, are businesses going to have someone checking every customer as they enter and who's going to deal with the non vacced who insist they are allowed in.
If it's a vac card who on the door of each business is going to check it's legit :facepalm:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
themistyseas
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by themistyseas »

I've already been asked at a few establishments in the last 24 hours - and I was quite surprised. It seems like if you are known to the staff it's not going to be an issue but some stores are already enforcing.

I don't like to carry my physical card ever - it's made out of paper, carrying paper in your pocket in a high humidity country is not really a good recipe for success.

I do however have it in multiple digitally verifiable formats on my phone with QR code. Which feels like it shouldn't be a problem since we are also asked to scan a QR code on entry to business establishments, so surely the business establishment itself should be prepared to scan a QR code.

At Aeon convenience store it was no problem, I flashed it up on my phone with the QR code and the security person just looked at it and allowed me to enter.

However, I went to Sorya Center Point mall a bit later on and the woman on the door was very confused and said she needed to see the Cambodian version of the vaccine card. I said I didn't have that and pointed at the QR code and said the country where I got it, and after some conversation they let me in. It seems like they're not really prepared for what to do with foreigners who got the jab elsewhere.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:02 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:54 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:44 pm
Darkcel wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:09 pm
AndyKK wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:03 am
If that would be the case, it would be interesting where and how people have not been vaccinated are going to go about trying to get vaccinated now.
Royal pp have said they're getting Moderna/Pfizer soon 250-300 for both shots, definitely not a bad deal at all
Haha, yes, but wait for the add-ons!
Might as well be a negative covid test @ 95$
I paid the Royal PP $231.50 for a Covid test they insisted on doing prior to surgery. That was $190 for the test and $41.50 for the bits and pieces.
If they do a vaccination, they may well also charge for the doctor fee, nursing fee, syringe, needle, bandaid etc etc.
Unless the 250-300 is an all-inclusive package, I would expect to be getting billed for $600+, after all the add-ons.
Most of us would rather pay that price than receive a sinovax, but that's a different conversation.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Darkcel wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:36 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:02 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:54 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:44 pm
Royal pp have said they're getting Moderna/Pfizer soon 250-300 for both shots, definitely not a bad deal at all
Haha, yes, but wait for the add-ons!
Might as well be a negative covid test @ 95$
I paid the Royal PP $231.50 for a Covid test they insisted on doing prior to surgery. That was $190 for the test and $41.50 for the bits and pieces.
If they do a vaccination, they may well also charge for the doctor fee, nursing fee, syringe, needle, bandaid etc etc.
Unless the 250-300 is an all-inclusive package, I would expect to be getting billed for $600+, after all the add-ons.
Most of us would rather pay that price than receive a sinovax, but that's a different conversation.
AZ and J&J are available intermittently (not from the Royal PP).
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I do not believe so.
"most of us" got sinovac.
Most of the medicines you get here are made in India, Thailand, Vietnam and China.

Nearly all the meds in the western world have chinese derived chems in them.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:36 pm
clutchcargo wrote:
Doc67 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:32 am Given Phnom Penh is supposedly 100% vaccinated it makes you wonder who they are trying catch?
Flush out the last remaining refuseniks Image

Seriously tho, does anyone believe the 99-100% anyway? That stat assumes a recent and effective population census no?
They literally had a national census in late 2019...
They did every household in my building except mine. Either I was out when they came by, or they asked my downstairs neighbours if anyone lived on the top floor, and were told "just some Barang" and they didn't bother. Fine by me.

But yeah, the 99% vaccination figure seems a bit... um, I'm gonna go with "optimistic".
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

xandreu wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:54 pm
AndyKK wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:03 am
jaggop wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:50 am
AndyKK wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:43 am Interesting move, but then if this was too be implemented, it would have been thought fair warning and maybe the vaccination roll out should have been made mandantory.
Since there is no information about implementation date, maybe this is our fair warning?
If that would be the case, it would be interesting where and how people have not been vaccinated are going to go about trying to get vaccinated now.
I've risked having the AZ as a booster after two shots of Sinovac, but seriously, where is the data that shows it's safe to have three different vaccines swimming around your body?

What do they say about never mixing your drinks?
Did you pay for that or was it the government issued one? I'm good with an AZ on top of my Sinovac. Think of it as a broad spectrum drench. With 6m Sinovac doses arriving last week I expect that's what I'll end up getting though.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:06 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:36 pm
clutchcargo wrote:
Doc67 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:32 am Given Phnom Penh is supposedly 100% vaccinated it makes you wonder who they are trying catch?
Flush out the last remaining refuseniks Image

Seriously tho, does anyone believe the 99-100% anyway? That stat assumes a recent and effective population census no?
They literally had a national census in late 2019...
They did every household in my building except mine. Either I was out when they came by, or they asked my downstairs neighbours if anyone lived on the top floor, and were told "just some Barang" and they didn't bother. Fine by me.

But yeah, the 99% vaccination figure seems a bit... um, I'm gonna go with "optimistic".
I've been here for a few censuses and have never been asked to participate or filled in any census form. However the authorities' old communist bureaucratic ways remain, and I believe they have a good idea where most people are.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:06 pm They did every household in my building except mine. Either I was out when they came by, or they asked my downstairs neighbours if anyone lived on the top floor, and were told "just some Barang" and they didn't bother. Fine by me.

If there was a stamp like sticker on your doorpost you (and your family if any) have been counted.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:20 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:06 pm They did every household in my building except mine. Either I was out when they came by, or they asked my downstairs neighbours if anyone lived on the top floor, and were told "just some Barang" and they didn't bother. Fine by me.

If there was a stamp like sticker on your doorpost you (and your family if any) have been counted.
There wasn't. All my neighbours had one. That's how I knew I'd missed out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic