thailand out to nickle and dime ya to death

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: thailand out to nickle and dime ya to death

Post by Cooldude »

I remember in the early 2000s there was a 500 Baht exit fee from Don Muang airport.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:40 am
John Bingham wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:52 am
Freightdog wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:31 am 500Baht is roughly about $15?

Won’t it largely depend on how they go about it?
Sure, I was just reminded of the days when you had to fill out an exit charge form when leaving Cambodia that cost $15. It was just an extra petty hassle.
That’s the thing- if it feels punitive, and some sort of penalty, it’s likely to get up folks noses.
Thailand used to be a destination in the back pocket if a long weekend came up with not a lot happening. $15 over a two week stay for a annual vacation has the chance to get absorbed. But if it’s more in your face, an exit tax, or some unexpected surcharge, there’s a chance it will affect repeat business.
I can think of a number of places where the obstacles would very seriously affect my decision to return. Cambodia wouldn’t get a second look now, if it weren’t for more tangible ties to the place. International tourism is going to warrant a lot more thought now, than it did pre-COVID, and for quite a while to come.

£700 for a ticket now nearing £900
Travel times before at 18hrs and two flights turning into 3 flights, a quarantine layover, and loads of discomfort, flight cancellations, etc.
PCR test, plus COVID extras, plus, plus, plus….

I’d like to think that the smart places will be the ones that aim to make themselves more appealing, rather than seeing a certain type of traveller as more appealing.
good point, I have done a lot of 2-3 night stop overs in Bangkok, if moving forward the first look at that flight is to high then it maybe those layover will be skipped i skip.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cooldude wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:19 am I remember in the early 2000s there was a 500 Baht exit fee from Don Muang airport.
sinceI've have been living here it was 500 baht departure tax, ( you had to buy the ticket at the airport)
Than the 500 baht was included in ur ticket price, than it went to 700.

when i first moved here in the early 80's we had to pay 1,000 baht "tax clearance" whenever we stayed over 180 days in a given year ( Jan 1st-dec 31st) each and every time you left, i was flying in and out every other week or so
it was a hassle.

Will this 500 baht be applied to every entry or only tourist? ie those on non o , non b are exempt?
Tourist staying 2+ weeks wont really give a dam as, ( its only $$15), BUT what about those in Laos or Malaysia that trip over for the weekend? The Singaporeans/HK'ers that fly over for a 3 day holiday?
Its just another bs excuse and i would feel better if Thailand just got done with it and admitted they only want ur $$

still a lovly country , great food an friendly people and like America its the government thats fucked
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Let's face it it's got absolutely nothing to do with improving the product and attracting wealthier tourists, it's a sledgehammer lazy tax to catch all and make guests/visitors pay extra for the absence of tourist revenue over the last 18-24 months.

When the message from the top is " charge foreigners an extra 500 baht they can afford it and won't notice the difference ", it's how that thinking filters down in practice to the transport providers, tour operators, vendors, bar and restaurant owners etc who've suffered over the period that is going to be a major factor in Thailand's competitiveness and attractiveness to tourists going forward. I expect a lot of interesting news stories in 2022 when tourists return.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

nemo wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:18 pm Bali also wants to discourage backpackers.
They have certainly gone all hiso in their view of themselves.

The "Post Pandemic" reality may not turn out as they expect.
This is precisely it.

They are living in a fantasy land. Just believing their own bullshit.

Bali and Thailand organically attracts a certain type of crowd (or crowds).

Aside from some high wealth Chinese, there is little chance of Thailand in particular attracting genuine high wealth tourists in any great number. Bali might do a little better due to the way it's been marketed over several decades.

I happen to know a couple of high wealth investors, who also happen to have networks of likewise. As far as they are concerned with South East Asia, it's Singapore 1st, Malaysia 2nd. Nowhere else in South East Asia is even on their radar.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

La Quenta wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:07 am

This is precisely it.

They are living in a fantasy land. Just believing their own bullshit.

Bali and Thailand organically attracts a certain type of crowd (or crowds).

Aside from some high wealth Chinese, there is little chance of Thailand in particular attracting genuine high wealth tourists in any great number. Bali might do a little better due to the way it's been marketed over several decades.

I happen to know a couple of high wealth investors, who also happen to have networks of likewise. As far as they are concerned with South East Asia, it's Singapore 1st, Malaysia 2nd. Nowhere else in South East Asia is even on their radar.
Pre covid an guaranteed post covid
Thailand gets tons and will get tons of high rollers nov-april.
all you got to do is look at the occupancy rate in 4-5 star resorts during those times and the number of air bnb rentals that START at $500/night. Even july occupancy reaches 85%

My friends 4-6 bedroom condo in surin goes for $1,500/night in high season and up till nov 2019 he was booked over 85% of the time.

Anyone who thinks thailand is finished or will be left behind, does not know thailand
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I think a lot of this is narrow, short minded thinking.

Firstly, it's always easier to whack on a tax but always a lot harder to remove it.

Secondly, there's the can't see the forest for the trees. What they lose in tourist taxes might be well and truly made up by the resultant uptake in short stay tourists and the improved general reputation that Thailand is tourist friendly ie makes it as easy as possible to visit.

Really, there are professionals that do surveys and quantative/qualitative analysis for a living that can advise on this.

But it seems the Thais don't want to remove the 700b tax and indeed create a new 500b one. Of course those in power won't remove them coz they think of the lost revenue to them directly..

As far as free VOA, I agree with JB.. if Cambodia wanted to attract more tourists they could do following Thailand's example on that. The PI used to have a 21 day one and increased it to 28 days.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

They just want the Chinese back with bundles of obscure money. The time of the old farangs sipping tall Leo beer for six hours is over.
Boredom is like a shroud
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Only $4 of the $14 fee for a US ESTA pays for the system itself. The other $10 goes to a fund to help the tourism industry because they kicked up a fuss when ESTA was introduced.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

Tourism was going down before the pandemic hit. Especially in Phuket.

Now with the PCR testing required and taxes, I doubt they will get the Tourists they want. Too much hassle.

Tourists will simply go elsewhere. As much as I like Thailand; it isn't the only option. Actually there are other better ones now...
More than just any old backpacker.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic