Brave Woman Catches Bag Snatchers at Wat Phnom

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Brave Woman Catches Bag Snatchers at Wat Phnom

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Hero of the day:
Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): At 6:15 am on October 4, 2021, in Sangkat Phsar Thmey, Khan Daun Penh, in front of the Ministry of Mines and Energy, an unidentified woman successfully knocked down two bag snatchers at the Wat Phnum roundabout, after her bag was snatched by the two robbers.
The woman shouted for help and chased after the bag snatchers' motorbike. She caught up with the thieves, and was injured on the arms and legs as she tackled them, forcing them to crash and fall off the bike, but then fortunately the authorities at the Wat Phnom roundabout heard the woman's cries and came to the rescue.

Police arrested the suspects and took them into custody at the Sangkat Phsar Kandal 2 police station for further investigation.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Brave Woman Catches Bag Snatchers at Wat Phnom

Post by techietraveller84 »

Good for her! I love to see low-lives get what they deserve! Very risky to do so I am glad she is safe.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

He doesn't look so brave.

Is a "Brave Woman" a Squaw? What a terrible sounding word that is for a woman.

That is the best I've got for this article, except to say that I am not sure vigilantiessismness is meant to be encouraged.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm saddened to see that they broke the fence. That is the only thing that is preventing the hill becoming taken over by degenerates and thieves, like it was before they built the fence.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:41 am I am not sure vigilantiessismness is meant to be encouraged.
Agree in principle, but in practice? What would the crime rate be like without it?
If I was criminally inclined I think I would find the possibility of mob justice more dissuasive than an often bribeable polce force.
LoukBongThom
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by LoukBongThom »

The only question I have is why there is no law to ban shirtless dudes from roaming around the city? :bow:
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:41 amexcept to say that I am not sure vigilantiessismness is meant to be encouraged.
I agree in principle, but vigilantism is rife in any country where law and order is lacking or absent. People know they have little (no) recourse to the law.

And I would not classify this as vigilantism, the thieves did not get necklaced or lynched, the feisty lady just took back what was hers.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

hanno wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:48 am
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:41 amexcept to say that I am not sure vigilantiessismness is meant to be encouraged.
I agree in principle, but vigilantism is rife in any country where law and order is lacking or absent. People know they have little (no) recourse to the law.

And I would not classify this as vigilantism, the thieves did not get necklaced or lynched, the feisty lady just took back what was hers.
Corruption is rife too, doesn't make it righ. Bad example. Start again.

Drugs are rife too, doesn't make it right. I thought the 'V' was taking the law into ones own hands.

Anyway, we are on the same side, and I won't go cop-side if it is avoidable, so I will chase a crook.

Until my knee blows out
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hey, this is not a case of vigilante mob justice. The poor woman got robbed by two arseholes, and then she chased them down with her bare hands. She didn't beat them up. The police arrived and arrested them, thanks to her. She just wanted to get her bag back and she got hurt doing it. One woman against two young thugs. Kudos.

:hattip: Khmer women really rock sometimes.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

I like it when little people win.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic