thailand out to nickle and dime ya to death

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: thailand out to nickle and dime ya to death

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:36 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:15 pm Reminds me of Myanmar where I had to exchange 200 USD for their FEC's which were worthless on the black market and I ended up spending on domestic flights because only Airlines were not allowed to refuse them.
that was back in the 80's when u only got 7 days>
never felt it was bad as you needed to fly to really see anything in those 7 days and the duty free market j walker black and the cartoon of 555's paid for everything else :-)

Thailand and Bali... both "discovered" by the backpackers
now their shunned for flashpackers with credit cards
It wasn't in the 80's when I did it for sure, because I went on my own without my diaper if I recall well.
I got a 15 day visa in Singapore, paid an arm and a leg for a flight into Yangon but had trouble spending money in Myanmar. 100$:seemed to last forever. If I recall well it was in the late nineties or the first years of this century.
Luckily I had some old 100$ notes and travellers cheques (good ol' days). They only accepted 1 note so I got out relatively easy. Still a major scam to support the generals in place though.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Maybe they just want to ensure that Thailand remains as pretty as it is now, with few tourists around. :please:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

did someone wake up and say, "what a fucking stupid idea for right now"
Tourism operators have raised concerns about the 500 baht fee to be collected from foreign tourists next year, worried that the timeline of this policy may not be appropriate for an industry in dire need of recovery.

"Fee collection will impact decision making as the additional cost is considerably high compared with the average expenditure while travelling in Thailand, such as hotel room per night of just 1,000 baht. If the government really has to move forward, it should not implement this policy in the first half of next year," said Mrs Marisa.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... 5RffjgGBKk
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

I wonder what % of people thinking of travelling to Thailand in 2022 would be put off by a 500bt fee, 1% or less perhaps ?

Are tourists put off visiting Cambodia because they have to pay for a visa, no matter how short their visit is ?, I doubt it
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

jaynewcastle wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:02 pm I wonder what % of people thinking of travelling to Thailand in 2022 would be put off by a 500bt fee, 1% or less perhaps ?

Are tourists put off visiting Cambodia because they have to pay for a visa, no matter how short their visit is ?, I doubt it
Tourists who are probably going to spend 10,000+ Baht a day don't necessarily care about 500 Baht extra. However it's an annoying extra charge and a lot of these little charges together will put off people.
As for Cambodia, if it had a visa waiver program like Thailand I believe they would have had a lot more visitors over the past couple of decades. People like things to be easy.
When they get cheated by officials at borders etc it makes them less likely to spend time and money in a country.
There must have been thousands of tourists over the years who got to the border at Aranyaprathet/ Poipet and after dealing with too much BS rapidly turned around and went back to Thailand.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

500Baht is roughly about $15?

Won’t it largely depend on how they go about it? Surcharge levied on tickets and bookings would probably go unnoticed, but if someone sets up a special desk, staffed by a grumpy stuffed uniform, hand outstretched and no manners; Likely to bring some negative sentiment.
Average drunk rich russian probably drops that much just reaching for his vodka.

Service with a smile, or a sneer of contempt…?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:31 am 500Baht is roughly about $15?

Won’t it largely depend on how they go about it?
Sure, I was just reminded of the days when you had to fill out an exit charge form when leaving Cambodia that cost $15. It was just an extra petty hassle.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Firstly they and other neighbouring countries have to get to the tourist stage once more, and it don't look that close.
What John Bingham wrote is interesting and on the mark. I would agree with him about what he says here - When they get cheated by officials at borders. It is an hit and miss situation at that particular border, but possibly an E-visa would stop all that type of corruption, or lets just call it todays price hike. Again, what is left of the sights of Cambodia too entice the traveler. Angkor is still an attraction that many want to see and experience, but then again how would a tourist feel about the mass Chinese crowds there, has seen over past years. Then too on the trail of other places, maybe northwards too Loas. But to end it all in Phnom Penh and fly onwards of boat into Vietnam.
But with the preposed ongoing new developments of today, Cambodia's aim for its tourist trade seems like it is going to be too expensive of a tourist destination for many, and also very uninteresting.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:52 am
Freightdog wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:31 am 500Baht is roughly about $15?

Won’t it largely depend on how they go about it?
Sure, I was just reminded of the days when you had to fill out an exit charge form when leaving Cambodia that cost $15. It was just an extra petty hassle.
That’s the thing- if it feels punitive, and some sort of penalty, it’s likely to get up folks noses.
Thailand used to be a destination in the back pocket if a long weekend came up with not a lot happening. $15 over a two week stay for a annual vacation has the chance to get absorbed. But if it’s more in your face, an exit tax, or some unexpected surcharge, there’s a chance it will affect repeat business.
I can think of a number of places where the obstacles would very seriously affect my decision to return. Cambodia wouldn’t get a second look now, if it weren’t for more tangible ties to the place. International tourism is going to warrant a lot more thought now, than it did pre-COVID, and for quite a while to come.

£700 for a ticket now nearing £900
Travel times before at 18hrs and two flights turning into 3 flights, a quarantine layover, and loads of discomfort, flight cancellations, etc.
PCR test, plus COVID extras, plus, plus, plus….

I’d like to think that the smart places will be the ones that aim to make themselves more appealing, rather than seeing a certain type of traveller as more appealing.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Freightdog wrote:I’d like to think that the smart places will be the ones that aim to make themselves more appealing, rather than seeing a certain type of traveller as more appealing.
The kind of traveller that Thailand is now aiming for values time and convenience above all else. They willingly pay full fare to maximize their time on vacation.

Going through multiple handouts for money shortens vacation time and adds inconvenience.

Unless of course, there is a secret Thai program that does just that. Maybe the announcement is just a smokescreen to ward off those other kinds of travelers (aka us) from visiting Thailand.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic