Melbourne breaks record for days spent in lockdown

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Melbourne breaks record for days spent in lockdown

Post by hanno »

Melbourne passes Buenos Aires' world record for time spent in COVID-19 lockdown

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-03/ ... /100510710
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Melbourne breaks record for days spent in lockdown

Post by xandreu »

Because we see a lot of opposition to this on the news, we get the impression that almost the entire population is against this and are being locked-up against their will, but how true is that? Without bringing in personal bias, in reality, what percentage of Australians are happy to go along with lock-downs compared to those we see on the news?

Considering that in the UK, the government agreed to pay 80% of everyone's salary to sit at home and do nothing for months on end, most people were quite happy with the arrangement. Of course lock-downs cause huge damage to the economy, but the overwhelming majority of Brits simply go to work every day (for someone else), get paid at the end of the month and don't really think too much about it beyond that. So long as they're still getting paid from somewhere and by someone, to them, what's the issue? For many, it was like a dream come true. It's like, any damage to the economy is for someone else to sort out at a later stage.

Is there not a bit of that in Oz?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

xandreu wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:13 am Is there not a bit of that in Oz?
I guess you'd have to survey people to answer that...both at the beginning of lockdowns and now.

A friend of mine in Melbourne is getting quite testy and despondent about it. Anecdotal I know but I suspect initially people were ok getting paid to stay at home and took the opportunity to do 'home' stuff. But what I'm hearing now I think people are getting fed up with it all and cracks have appeared in the psyche.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

You mean staying home and get partially paid, but no pubs, concerts, sport events? Must be really fun.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Chuck Borris wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:37 pm You mean staying home and get partially paid, but no pubs, concerts, sport events? Must be really fun.
This. Yeah, a break is nice at first, but begins to wear thin very quickly when there is bugger all to do.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

As a kid when the summer holidays started it was bliss three weeks in and I was ready to go back to school, and I disliked that place.

I can imagine people are getting jacked off about it after so long.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic