Australia, US and UK form AUKUS a new nuclear defence pact

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Honest Australian Government video on AUKUS

Post by crob »

fuck i hate Morrison... how the fuck did Australia have 5 prime ministers in 5 years and this cunt is the one that stuck.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Gotta love those Honest Government Ads. I wish someone could do something similar in the UK.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
pauloxleyisland
Expatriate
Australia

Post by pauloxleyisland »

crob wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:24 pm “fuck i hate Morrison... how the fuck did Australia have 5 prime ministers in 5 years and this cunt is the one that stuck”.
Simple really, the Labor party started of by stabbing the most popular elected PM since Bob Hawk in the back. Then those that organised the stabbing turned on each other stabbing them selves in the back. Then we had that complete flog Malcolm Turnbull, he just had to go. That’s how we had 5 PMs in 5 years.
I for one am glad we have Scott Morrison. It’s fine to say “fuck I hate Scott Morrison” but what alternative do you suggest. The conversation usually stops there.
I know the big words make your cock feel bigger, but I’m just an old truck driver keep it simple aye! 8)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

It’s fine to say “fuck I hate Scott Morrison” but what alternative do you suggest. The conversation usually stops there.
Ex copper, 'Mr Fix-it' Peter Dutton? He's the one who torpedoed the French subs project right? :thumb: :D
blueman.cambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by blueman.cambodia »

There is some small city in Victoria Australia that has a street with bronze sculpture heads of all.of Australian prime ministers. I read that the frequent turnover some years ago was so frequent, they could not finish casting a bronze sculpture before another had already taken over.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Australian Government: We're not just moronic, but. We're oxymoronic too!
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

Can't speak for Australian politics, but at least Australians don't have to suffer the idiot Trudeau. Can't get much more painful than that.
Mostcurious
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Mostcurious »

Anti Australian propaganda, just my opinion. I would just like to point out the following, the presenter gives 3 reasons for name calling the CCP (Chinese communist party), I can give at least 10 reasons to condemn the CCP.

1. Taking away the freedoms of the Hong Kong people.
2. Putting millions of Uighur Muslims into concentration camps.
3. Unleashing a super virus onto the world killing millions of people.
4. Global expansionism, taking over the South China Sea,
5. Threatening to invade Taiwan
6. Invading Tibet and enslaving their people.
7. Debt trap diplomacy .
8. China vast fishing fleet depleting the worlds fish stock.
9. Stealing intellectual property rights.
10. It is a global expansionist superpower that will take away the freedoms of democratic nations.

As for cancelling the French built submarines. The reasons were the french submarines were to run on old fashioned diesel, they would cost an extortionate 90 billion dollars and wouldn't be ready till 2035 or later. American built nuclear powered submarines do not need to surface regularly, they can stay under water for much longer, and apparently they are also quieter.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Mostcurious wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:56 am As for cancelling the French built submarines. The reasons were the french submarines were to run on old fashioned diesel, they would cost an extortionate 90 billion dollars and wouldn't be ready till 2035 or later. American built nuclear powered submarines do not need to surface regularly, they can stay under water for much longer, and apparently they are also quieter.
But this was what they had agreed to when they signed the contract. That's what contracts are for. So that each party is fully aware of each others responsibilities and obligations and everyone is on the same page as to what is happening. You can't sign a contract and then negotiate a new contract with someone else behind their back and then cancel the original contract because it isn't what you wanted.

If it isn't what you wanted, fine. Don't sign the contract then.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

xandreu wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:49 am
Mostcurious wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:56 am As for cancelling the French built submarines. The reasons were the french submarines were to run on old fashioned diesel, they would cost an extortionate 90 billion dollars and wouldn't be ready till 2035 or later. American built nuclear powered submarines do not need to surface regularly, they can stay under water for much longer, and apparently they are also quieter.
But this was what they had agreed to when they signed the contract. That's what contracts are for. So that each party is fully aware of each others responsibilities and obligations and everyone is on the same page as to what is happening. You can't sign a contract and then negotiate a new contract with someone else behind their back and then cancel the original contract because it isn't what you wanted.

If it isn't what you wanted, fine. Don't sign the contract then.
You can change your mind but then you will cop 'break' fees... (it was gonna cost $90bn)
Australia has spent about $2.4bn on the French project so far, and may have to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation for leaving the contract
Apparently there were also delays and cost overruns. But I do agree with the gist of your post xandreu that the French were seemingly poorly treated and changing your mind on such as a big project as this is always going to cause a lot of pain and angst I think.

It's ironic really coz the French already had nuclear subs, cheaper than the those from UK/US but OZ specified a 'retrofit' diesel/electric, old tech option. This apparently was due to Aus not having or wanting nuclear industrial capability to service them. And that was what was determined just 5 yrs ago. It seems things change quickly..

Anyway, according to the following link quoting Peter Dutton, Defence Minister, the UK/US subs have onboard, nuclear plants sealed for life (33 yrs) whereas the French ones are good for 10yrs and then the fuel has to be replenished. I would've thought that isn't a deal breaker as that could have been done in France if Aus didn't want to do so.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... utton-says
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic